Metaplasia vs Dysplasia, seems simple enough...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuv101DDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this question from an older exam.

The change of a more specialized cell type to a less specialized cell type is:
1. dysplasia
2. neoplasia
3. metaplasia
4. hyperplasia
5. hypoplasia

it's from 1977, the answer marked is 3. metaplasia. I thought metaplasia was the change from a mature cell to a different, albeit mature, cell.
Also, is dysplasia the growth of immature cells as opposed to a change of mature cells into immature cells?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

u are right..dysplasia is expansion of immature cells and decrease of mature cells,both in number and (location?)

well ,for the above qn i marked it as dysplasia ..since i thought it was a better answer (for some unexplained reason). :).and tried to believe the key was wrong.

I came across this question from an older exam.

The change of a more specialized cell type to a less specialized cell type is:
1. dysplasia
2. neoplasia
3. metaplasia
4. hyperplasia
5. hypoplasia

it's from 1977, the answer marked is 3. metaplasia. I thought metaplasia was the change from a mature cell to a different, albeit mature, cell.
Also, is dysplasia the growth of immature cells as opposed to a change of mature cells into immature cells?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Dysplasia refer to an abnormalityin maturation of cells within the tissues.This generally consists of an expansion of immature cells,with a corresponding decrease in location and number of mature cells,
whereas in metapalsia,cells of one mature differentiated type are replaced by cells of another mature, differentiated type.

so i think the answer marked above is correct

I think the word, "less specialized"threw me off.

I think they meant " less suitable".

For example, You have stratified squamous cells in your oral cavity. Now imagine those cells undergoing metaplasia into pseudostratified columnar cells. These new pseudostrat columnar cells are not less immature, but they are totally "unsuitable" to fxn in the mouth. They just don't belong there. But it doesn't matter them less mature.