MFT or Psyd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm finishing up my BA in Psychology and have started looking into the PsyD programs. I'm very interested in working as a therapist and having my private practice. I know I want to get my Psyd in the future, but am unsure if I should get my MFT and practice under that for a while and then work towards my Psyd. My concerns are that most PsyD program are very intense and not very flexible for a full time employee, plus the prgram is extremely expensive. As opposed to the MFT program which is slightly less expensive, can be completed in a shorter amount of time and I have found a few programs in the Southern California area that accomodate to the working individual. I guess my main concern is would I be able to transfer some of my studies from MFT towards a Psyd? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think credits outside of psychology will transfer very easily in a Psyd program. I'd check some of the Psyd schools in Calif to see if I could get a better read on this. It might turn out that you'd be better off getting a master's in psychology if you think you'll eventually go on for the Psyd. Best advice is check with the schools. Good luck.

Yes, sometimes you can transfer classes, but it generally doesnt shorten your time to degree completion unless you get to transfer a significant amount of class work. Coming from an MFT program, I imagine only 1 or 2 would be applicable anyway.