MFT vs. PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rose31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
This is the first time I'm posting here - this forum has been very helpful so I thought I'd ask some advice. I am currently a 1st year student in an M.A. program. After a semester and a half, I decided to apply to the PsyD program at my school b/c I really loved the classes in psychopathology and psych assessment. I applied very late in the game, so it's been kind of a whirlwind, but I got in! Now, of course, I'm looking at the finances and kind of freaking out about how expensive it is. I know that PsyD salaries are comparable to PhD salaries, so I'm hoping I'll be okay after I get out - but I will have to take out an awful lot of school loans and am a bit nervous about it. Part of me is wondering whether I should just stay in the MFT program. What do you guys think? If you are in a PsyD program - is it worth it?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what exactly do you want to do as a career? If primarily counseling, I would go with the MFT. If you want to do assessments, I would go the Psy.D route. I'll be attending a Psy.D program this fall...I will receive partial funding, but still will have to take out loans to live on. I'm also worried about how I will get by, but this is my dream and I feel like I have to just "go with it". :thumbup:

PsyD123 said:
Well, what exactly do you want to do as a career? If primarily counseling, I would go with the MFT. If you want to do assessments, I would go the Psy.D route. I'll be attending a Psy.D program this fall...I will receive partial funding, but still will have to take out loans to live on. I'm also worried about how I will get by, but this is my dream and I feel like I have to just "go with it". :thumbup:

That's the problem - I'm not sure exactly what I want to do, however I do know that I do NOT want to counsel primarily. I would love to work somewhere like Patton State Hospital or College Hospital. I haven't wanted to do this my whole life like a lot of people. It's just become a passion in the last year - especially the education. The classes are exceptional at my school and I want to continue. However, if I could make the same salary and get a similar job as an MFT - then what's the point of spending all that extra money? I just spoke to a psychologist at an outpatient hospital who says he has several MFT interns working under him. That confused me even more - I thought they couldn't work with that population!

Members don't see this ad :)
_______
However, if I could make the same salary and get a similar job as an MFT - then what's the point of spending all that extra money?
____

I thought about this - switched from an MFT track to a shorter MS in counseling so i could complete it and apply for a psyd. Most psyd/phd people said get the doctorate, no ifs ands or buts. a few people at that level said if you're interest is private practice, an MFT is fine. "If you're good", you will get business and be able to charge a good rate. most people at the MFT level had that outlook as well.

_________
I just spoke to a psychologist at an outpatient hospital who says he has several MFT interns working under him. That confused me even more - I thought they couldn't work with that population!
_________
That's just it - if you're working outside of a private practice, you'll most likely be reporting to somebody with a psyd/phd.

Why start off your career with a ceiling?

rose31 said:
Hi Everyone,
Part of me is wondering whether I should just stay in the MFT program. What do you guys think? If you are in a PsyD program - is it worth it?

Thanks everyone!

I have a little experience in this area. I am currently getting ready to start a PhD (clinical psych) or a PsyD. (I have been accepted to both, I am still deciding which program to attend). My brother in-law started in MFT, he got his masters in MFT and then realized some of the limitations and decided to get his PhD in clinical psychology. My father in-law has a PhD in MFT and is now working in that field. Needless to say we have many family discussions (sometimes heated discussions). My brother and I are on the side of a doctorate in psychology. You have many more options, testing, assesments, and everything that a doctorate in MFT could do and more. True your salary may be similiar depending on what you do, but you will have more options in with a doctorate in psychology. Also if prescribing right eventual get passed you will not be able to prescribe in MFT. The APA has a much larger lobbying group and advocate groups than the MFT organization. Anyways these are just a couple of thoughts. You can be successful in both fields and do similiar things in both fields, but ultimatelly you will have more options in the psychology route. My brother and many of my friends who are practicing psychologists (doctorate level) moonlight on the side to make extra money. They do testing for the courts and corporations, you will not have this option in MFT. My father inlaw although happy in his work wishes that he had some of these options.

Hey everyone,

I so appreciate your taking the time to respond! I had a great talk with one of my professors tonight, and of course he was leaning towards the PsyD...I think that is where my heart wants to go. Sometimes I get nervous about finances and such, but knowing that there are others going through the same thing is comforting. I don't think there are any negatives to getting more education...

Thank you!