Mg vs Cu Stability

Started by matth87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

matth87

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A question came up like this in one of the passage I was just working.

It said Cu is more stable because it had a full D shell and Mg is less stable even though it has a full S shell. But Cu has a open valence electron in its s shell which didn't make sense to me. I would assume it would be less stable.

Is this correct?
 
A question came up like this in one of the passage I was just working.

It said Cu is more stable because it had a full D shell and Mg is less stable even though it has a full S shell. But Cu has a open valence electron in its s shell which didn't make sense to me. I would assume it would be less stable.

Is this correct?

I think a filled d subshell is more stable than a filled s subshell. Remember, some transition metals deviate from their predicted electron configuration (i.e., we'd expect Cu to be [Ar] 4s^2^3d^9, but it's [Ar] 4s^1 3d^10)-to get that filled or partially filled d subshell stability-d subshells rule.
 
A question came up like this in one of the passage I was just working.

It said Cu is more stable because it had a full D shell and Mg is less stable even though it has a full S shell. But Cu has a open valence electron in its s shell which didn't make sense to me. I would assume it would be less stable.

Is this correct?

You would expect copper's configuration to be [Ar]4s2 3d9, but it turns out it's more stable to take one of the electrons out of the s subshell and put it in the d subshell to make a half-filled s and completely filled d.