MGH Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCVmedstudent

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to an MGH interview yet? I am worried about the group interview.

Anyone have insight into what it was like? High pressure? Laid back?

Thx

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gone to an MGH interview yet? I am worried about the group interview.

Anyone have insight into what it was like? High pressure? Laid back?

Thx

It's been a couple of years but mine was way easier than I expected and not really more difficult than any one-on-one interviews. It was actually kind of nice because you only had to answer questions once rather than to 5 or 6 different interviewers like you usually do.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it laid back but it was no more stressful than my other interviews and more pleasant than some of them. One of the things that it does is puts a check on people asking sociopathic questions (which you'll get from other people).

Not any more stressful than one on one interviews - in a way probably ended up being less stressful. They seem to read your application though, so if you put something on there, be prepared to answer questions about it.
When you are done with it, you realise "it wasn't bad at all"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going there this week! This thread has calmed my nerves a little :)

headed there later this week as well...thanks for the tips, everyone. ;)

swinelake, see you this week...!?

Do they really pimp you on medical knowledge, or is it questions related to your work/research etc?

Do they really pimp you on medical knowledge, or is it questions related to your work/research etc?

I don't know why programs don't pimp you a little bit with 10 question rapid fire or something....The USMLE exams have become less meaningful now that you can do well by memorizing these extensive question banks, and grade inflation is occurring at many of the top medical schools..Why not see if people can think under pressure a little bit in a medically relevant way, as opposed to testing people in interviews by asking them esoteric, weird questions?

I don't know why programs don't pimp you a little bit with 10 question rapid fire or something....The USMLE exams have become less meaningful now that you can do well by memorizing these extensive question banks, and grade inflation is occurring at many of the top medical schools..Why not see if people can think under pressure a little bit in a medically relevant way, as opposed to testing people in interviews by asking them esoteric, weird questions?

Maybe interviewers should take you the the ED and ask you to work up a patient in 20 minutes, and write a quick yet concise progress note. On a more serious note, I think the interview is to determine if you have the right combination of humility, confidence, wit, normalcy, enthusiasm and energy to make it in their program--it is these qualities, not your knowledge of the TIMI risk or PORT score that will determine how successful of a resident you will be at their program.

Maybe interviewers should take you the the ED and ask you to work up a patient in 20 minutes, and write a quick yet concise progress note. On a more serious note, I think the interview is to determine if you have the right combination of humility, confidence, wit, normalcy, enthusiasm and energy to make it in their program--it is these qualities, not your knowledge of the TIMI risk or PORT score that will determine how successful of a resident you will be at their program.

Most residents do graduate programs, and so I'm not sure what this huge worry over that aspect is...All the characteristics you mentioned are what land you a date or make you the life of a party, they don't necessarily translate to your ability to deliver good patient care...Not too many terminal patients are going to be entertained with your wit...Just my two cents on this.

Here are some tips:
1. Be yourself
2. Relax
3. Address the panel member that asked you the question... don't try to look at everyone while you are answering (it is awkward).
It is hard to know what the panel member will ask because it is usually 6 people with different backgrounds and interest (from research to personal life).
4. Review your application (they can ask you things that you forgot about because they memorized your application and have access to your letters... which most applicants were not able to read)
5. Be genuine

They are very kind people and not out to get you.