MGH Vs. Hopkins Radiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dakuzindabad

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I know this topic has been talked about, I thought this could be started again. My impressions:
both excellent programs that will take you to where you want to go (in terms of fellowship). MGH trumps JHH in terms of location, however JHH offers a stronger training program (but with more intense residents and faculty). MGH residents seem happier and more relaxed, but clearly are very smart and quite close to the level that the JHH residents are at. MGH is reshuffling its IR program (previously segmented by organ systems) and is now bringing them under one roof. This process, however, will take time.
Which program would you choose and why?

Members don't see this ad.

This interests me too - informative answers would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't MGH make their residents wear short white coats? Kinda like Mayo and suit coats but one makes you look more like a doctor and one makes you look less like one...

Also, what makes you say JHU>MGH in terms of training?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to put my finger on it - its that gut feeling, you know? Perhaps the more relaxed and collegial attitude among the residents and faculty gave the facade of being more cush at MGH. Conference at JHH is impressive, with 1st year residents nailing pretty rare pathology. Among the most impressive residents on the interview trail, no doubt. JHH also forces you to do independent call without attending backup and honestly, though scary, is probably very good training. Lastly, I think the relationship between departments at JHH is very good but I cannot comment how this is at MGH. Good relationships, such as surgery/medicine and radiology leads to better consults and more cooperation. Thoughts?

Hard to put my finger on it - its that gut feeling, you know? Perhaps the more relaxed and collegial attitude among the residents and faculty gave the facade of being more cush at MGH. Conference at JHH is impressive, with 1st year residents nailing pretty rare pathology. Among the most impressive residents on the interview trail, no doubt. JHH also forces you to do independent call without attending backup and honestly, though scary, is probably very good training. Lastly, I think the relationship between departments at JHH is very good but I cannot comment how this is at MGH. Good relationships, such as surgery/medicine and radiology leads to better consults and more cooperation. Thoughts?
JHH also is better well rounded...Strong Neuro, interventional, etc. MGH strong neuro, weak interventional, but exceptionally strong MSK.

I think its a crap-shoot. They are both phenomenal programs. Do you want to live in Boston where it snows a ton but is a bigger city and closer to NY. Or Baltimore which is a smaller city, with arguably better weather, that is closer to DC and Philly.

Both are excellent programs. There is no difference between going to either of them regarding prestige, training or quality.

Neither have a top notch IR department (many may argue with me). But if you do residency in either, you can pretty much go wherever you want for any sort of fellowship.

Your major decision should be based on Baltimore versus Boston. I personally choose MGH over Hopkins.

I much rather live in Boston than Baltimore myself. You can nitpick difference between them all you want but it will make a negligible difference in your future skills. You learn more where you are happiest.

I'd be careful about judging education with one noon conference. I interviewed at big name places that seemed iffy and no name places residents were nailing it. Everyone has off days as well as their on days.

I'm disappointed that my comment about short white coats at MGH has neither been confirmed nor denied.

why the hell do they make you wear short white coats?? f dat noize. clicking dislike MGH button plz

Reactions: 1 user
Ranking jh over mgh cuz of this thread. I am a doctor, man!!! Not a med student.

MGH does short coats in many departments (most notably medicine, surgery, and neurosurgery) because the philosophy is that you always a lifelong student. It varies by department. Dr. McLoud wears a short coat, but many of the section chiefs wear long coats. Residents rarely wear white coats, but I think the ones I saw were long.

Source: Rotated there.

Reactions: 1 user
My genuine comments:

As Maxxor pointed out in his Stanford thread, MGH has overnight attending coverage. JHH does not, and based on my interview last year the PD intends to ensure it remains that way for the foreseeable future. JHH's radiology facilities are very, very new (within the last few years I believe). They also have some pretty cool technology integrated in their PACS that makes reading out much more efficient.

To me MGH seemed a little "cushier" and JHH seemed a little more "rigorous" in terms of work load. It seemed like life would be more comfortable at MGH. Both have lots of NIH funding but MGH has top notch everything (like HBS) rather than just top notch medicine. If you have more "collaborative" ideas or goals in life MGH probably has a networking advantage. Boston is obviously more desirable than Baltimore to most people. Baltimore is closer to DC, Philly and NYC but you are more likely to be murdered.

My impression is that MGH probably has a slightly better reputation in the world of radiology although they're probably equal to people outside of radiology and JHH is more impressive to people outside of medicine.

I'm with the others in thinking that the training is probably equivalent at both places. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.