Program-Specific Info / Q's MGHIHP vs Thomas Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabsabs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been fortunate enough to have been offered admission to both MGHIHP and Thomas Jefferson for their entry-level OTD programs :) I'm having trouble deciding between the two though, and was wondering if anyone might have any input!

MGHIHP
  • Recently accredited for EL-OTD, relatively new as an OT program (I would be part of the fourth class)
  • Offering me a decent scholarship
  • Loved my interview experience there -- I was super excited about the pro bono clinics, the new OT clinic especially. Also, the faculty all seemed so friendly and invested in the students!
  • Clinical rotations at MassGen, Spaulding Rehab, Brigham & Women's
Thomas Jefferson
  • Ranked #6 for OT, accredited for post-professional OTD but not EL-OTD
  • Seems more well-established in the OT world?
  • No scholarship offer, financial aid info not available yet
  • The faculty and adcom I interviewed with were great, and they have a PrEMO program (promoting environments for measuring outcomes) which I'm interested in for community based research
For tuition, Jeff is a little bit more expensive, especially when you take into account the scholarship MGHIHP offered. However, the cost of living in Boston is also really high...

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go to Boston to be near Tim

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know people personally at TJU. One told me that she regents going there due to the cost (her argument was that she pays much more money than other nearby schools yet has the same fieldwork placements) and the other absolutely loves it and believes she's at an advantage. Honestly, they're both well known schools so I think the only way one would maybe give you more benefit over the other is location and that's solely in regards to networking. If you are confident that you want to work/live in Philly I would say TJU is a good contender, but every rehab director I've talked to has not cared much about degree level or school.

I know people personally at TJU. One told me that she regents going there due to the cost (her argument was that she pays much more money than other nearby schools yet has the same fieldwork placements) and the other absolutely loves it and believes she's at an advantage. Honestly, they're both well known schools so I think the only way one would maybe give you more benefit over the other is location and that's solely in regards to networking. If you are confident that you want to work/live in Philly I would say TJU is a good contender, but every rehab director I've talked to has not cared much about degree level or school.

Thanks so much! :) Why does one of your friends believe she's at an advantage at TJU compared to other schools?

In terms of networking, I'm actually from CA and expect to return to CA after I finish OT school... would the networking advantage for either school be applicable in this case?

Thanks so much! :) Why does one of your friends believe she's at an advantage at TJU compared to other schools?

In terms of networking, I'm actually from CA and expect to return to CA after I finish OT school... would the networking advantage for either school be applicable in this case?

So both the girls I know are doing the MOT and are in their second year. The one who is confident in her decision to attend TJU said that, "the name of the school matters for jobs but only if you are aiming for the best jobs." Her theory is that you can def still get a job coming from an unknown schools, you will just have to do more at your program to be counted the same as somebody from a top ranked program. I asked her if she regretted her decision because I've been told by other students that they regret going to TJU (or other high cost programs) because of cost. She said she doesn't regret it at all because she's gotten job offers based on the name recognition. She has also noticed that she learned more and understands more than OTs from other schools and believes that the cost was worth every penny.

I have no idea about the networking to be honest. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been told by a few rehab directors that school doesn't matter, but they have also thrown out a few "extraordinary programs" that happen to be in the top. I wish there was a clear cut answer of whether rankings matter, it's hard to believe that they don't :/ I'm stuck between a top ranked program that costs an arm and leg and a slightly lower ranked one with a vibe I love.

So both the girls I know are doing the MOT and are in their second year. The one who is confident in her decision to attend TJU said that, "the name of the school matters for jobs but only if you are aiming for the best jobs." Her theory is that you can def still get a job coming from an unknown schools, you will just have to do more at your program to be counted the same as somebody from a top ranked program. I asked her if she regretted her decision because I've been told by other students that they regret going to TJU (or other high cost programs) because of cost. She said she doesn't regret it at all because she's gotten job offers based on the name recognition. She has also noticed that she learned more and understands more than OTs from other schools and believes that the cost was worth every penny.

I have no idea about the networking to be honest. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been told by a few rehab directors that school doesn't matter, but they have also thrown out a few "extraordinary programs" that happen to be in the top. I wish there was a clear cut answer of whether rankings matter, it's hard to believe that they don't :/ I'm stuck between a top ranked program that costs an arm and leg and a slightly lower ranked one with a vibe I love.

I see; thank you so much for your insight :) I'll try to take these into consideration!

I see; thank you so much for your insight :) I'll try to take these into consideration!

Best of luck! It's so hard to choose with all the recent changes in the field!