All Branch Topic (ABT) MHS Genesis rollout begins next month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like the AHLTA replacement will begin its initial rollout in a few weeks. I wonder what it's actually going to be like and if it'll be user friendly.

Wonder why the DOD isn't mentioning more about this

http://www.health.mil/News/Articles/2016/10/13/MHS-GENESIS-to-launch-in-February-2017

Members don't see this ad.

I have high hopes for it.

I worked with one of the clinical feedback / design groups for one of the modules a while in 2015 and early 2016, before I left for FTOS fellowship. The impression I got was that clinicians' needs and workflow were being taken seriously.

Fingers crossed. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I use it at my moonlighting GIG. We have to have full buy in from the nurses with this product. It means more up front data entry for them, and likely less paperwork for the techs to enter into the system. The OR charting is nice much more powerful software then innovian. Less click burden. Superior product.

So what happens to CHCS/AHLTA and the repository of information is holds now? Will it get ported over into Genesis?

It's a really smart plan. They should change EMR every few years. You can't prove a disability if you accidentally forget to port over the medical records. It'll save money in the long run.

Honestly though, I imagine they'd have to port it over or have it accessible somehow. Sounds like a nightmare IT issue

It will port over through the JLV (joint legacy viewer). In other words it will take you 5 minutes or more to access so nobody will leading to frustration on both patients and providers and the significant potential for patient harm by not looking at past records.

But that's just my opinion....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
So on deployment, AHLTA---and I mean the real global AHLTA, not the POS 'theater AHLTA'---worked quite nicely. We were able to upload documents for medevaced patients, so the providers at the MTFs that we were medevacing to could see our work....in turn we were able to see their work. It was slow as balls and connectivity was an issue...but it did work. If we're switching to a new EMR, I hope they do it quickly and globally. It would suck if half of use are on the new EMR, half of us on the old one.........in any case, I got my bag of popcorn, ready for the sht show to commence...

Last edited:
I'm doing research on ATLAS, Genesis, Essentris, and GLV. Cannot find anything on GLV. Would any of you happen to know what GLV is, an application as well?

Where are you getting, "a few weeks" from? Full deployment isn't even until 2022.

it will be similar to when they rolled out AHLTA. not everyone switches at once. after about a year of delays, Madigan goes live next month. then like the plague it will spread across the DoD, lol.

--your friendly neighborhood won't be lamenting the passing of AHLTA caveman

I'm doing research on ATLAS, Genesis, Essentris, and GLV. Cannot find anything on GLV. Would any of you happen to know what GLV is, an application as well?

I don't know anything about the GLV......but I do know that you should change your profile picture (presumably your wife and kid?). This a public forum.....and someone in the Navy (probably stationed at JAX) is likely to steal said picture and do rude things with it on Facebook.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh that felt good........ All over my keyboard......
I don't know anything about the GLV......but I do know that you should change your profile picture (presumably your wife and kid?). This a public forum.....and someone in the Navy (probably stationed at JAX) is likely to steal said picture and do rude things with it on Facebook.[/QUOTE

It will port over through the JLV (joint legacy viewer). In other words it will take you 5 minutes or more to access so nobody will leading to frustration on both patients and providers and the significant potential for patient harm by not looking at past records.

But that's just my opinion....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You can view the AHLTA record through JLV, but it does not transition over into Genesis... you have to manually recreate the record, which is probably the most unsafe aspect about this (especially because you have to choose from ICD10 codes for dx, you cannot free text the PMH). Same goes for PSH. Once that part is done, and you've created your "auto text", the actual charting isn't too crazy (it's all almost free texted).

I use it at my moonlighting GIG. We have to have full buy in from the nurses with this product. It means more up front data entry for them, and likely less paperwork for the techs to enter into the system. The OR charting is nice much more powerful software then innovian. Less click burden. Superior product.

Saddly the DoD didn't exactly buy the off the shelf version (and have made some changes or not paid for full functionality) and currently the OR charting as it rolls out in the first sites is ABSOLUTELY terrible. A click nightmare that results in an anesthesia chart that looks like someone took a dump on it. The cerner instructor kept asking us "what the typical dose of IV bupivacaine you give a patient during anesthesia" cause the macro they set up for DoD has this in their induction sequence. The experts we've contracted to come out and instruct us are *****s and we've ended up teaching ourselves.

You have to click no less than 30 buttons to work through a case. The rollout so far has been ridiculous and delayed multiple times already at Madigan. Go live in a few weeks. I'm guessing it will be terrible since all past patient data will be on essentris and ahlta and we'll have to hand enter it in to the new system for every encounter. Then people will pcs to non genesis facilities and have gaps in their records. We should've bought epic so much better. Sadly, innovian is 10x better then the cerner version we bought.

I have high hopes for it.

I worked with one of the clinical feedback / design groups for one of the modules a while in 2015 and early 2016, before I left for FTOS fellowship. The impression I got was that clinicians' needs and workflow were being taken seriously.

Fingers crossed. :)

Unfortunately every time we bring up concerns about workflow issues at Madigan, they just kick the can down the road and don't address the issues. The plan is just to make it work at whatever cost. Even if we have to bring in all active duty personnel the go live weekend to make it work. It's laughable the amount of worthless online modules and in class training we'vehad to attened. I've been in two hospitals that rolled out epic, it was nothing like this.

They tell us that we will be able to make significant changes to things over this first year before it goes out to other major medcens.

Unfortunately every time we bring up concerns about workflow issues at Madigan, they just kick the can down the road and don't address the issues. The plan is just to make it work at whatever cost. Even if we have to bring in all active duty personnel the go live weekend to make it work. It's laughable the amount of worthless online modules and in class training we'vehad to attened. I've been in two hospitals that rolled out epic, it was nothing like this.

They tell us that we will be able to make significant changes to things over this first year before it goes out to other major medcens.

before I deployed in Feb (when it was delayed yet again) I got the same sense. come hell or high water, this thing was going down in October. they even held the hospital commander over an extra year I assume to continue the process. the JLV and having to look into multiple places for data just compounds the usual inefficiency, and provides more opportunities for mistakes. luckily (I suppose) i'm still deployed for the rollout, so when I get back i'll be sure to take my time learning this strange new technology and get a few more days before they plug me back into the machine ;)

for procedural work, when we discussed it with them a year ago, they had no idea if they could put procedural images (like from endoscopy) into the record since the DoD version didn't have that capability. at the time they wanted us to use this for endoscopy notes. we said we were pretty sure standard of care is currently to have actual photos in the record. their solution-- "you can use a digital drive and manually transfer them from the scope tower and upload them to your note." yeah. not sure how they resolved this, but I'm sure we will have many months of fine tuning this monstrosity for the good of the hive.

--your friendly neighborhood hoping genesis doesn't become sentient like in the latest terminator movie caveman