New to genesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KoKoOnaJo

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
New to genesis
This EMR is just slow and bad. Can anyone provide anything helpful or useful to ease my transition ?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

No it's just terrible. Suffer through it until you can separate from the military. I've been using it for a year now and haven't really figured out much about it other than it's a lesser quality EMR than what we previously had with AHLTA/CHCS and I think that's saying something...

Members don't see this ad :)
meh. I'm actually a fan. If you set up your templates and favorites correctly, it actually works quite nicely and you can fly through it. [sorry, I hate to dish out some praise and bet positive . . . last time, promise.]
Metal gotta be playing devil's advocate out here (i kid i kid). Glad you like it, haven't spoken to many that do. What specialty are you metal?

And have you worked with many different EMR's besides AHLTA/CHCS and Genesis?

Metal gotta be playing devil's advocate out here (i kid i kid). Glad you like it, haven't spoken to many that do. What specialty are you metal?

And have you worked with many different EMR's besides AHLTA/CHCS and Genesis?

Many . . .Epic is the best of course. I guess the DOD didnt want to pay for it, or it couldn't pass DOD security rules.

Once your set up your templates and power plans for success it’s no less efficient than ahlta/CHCS.

There should be super users in your specialty who travel to all of the new sites joining the chaos of genesis so they can help you optimize as much as possible. Reach out to trusted leaders in your specialty to get you in touch with someone to help you out.

Yeah epic is a very good EMR. I've worked with some other solid ones through med school/residency. Genesis isn't anywhere near the top of ones I've worked with I'd say but that's just me, or maybe what is expected of my documentation from higher up leadership making rules for psychiatry on how we are to document... AFMRA has templates and now we aren't supposed to use those templates due to genesis and DHA but they're somewhat not in agreement with each other. Just another reason why I and many others are planning on separating after payback.

No substitute for clicking around and learning the program. But, in case you need some tips/tricks/workaround, I put together this page on the Navy OpMed Wiki. You'll need an account. Just request an account and enter your email correctly, as well as some way to verify you're military (.mil email, current billet/rank, etc. in the additional details block), and then click the confirmation link in the email you get.

If you don't want to sign up for an account, shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you a printout of the page. But the screen shots will be small and hard to see.

Reactions: 1 user
I also am quite happy that “playing the devils advocate” equates to supporting decisions made by milmed.

• Haha
I am lucky, I am not as dependent on it as some due to specialty. And I admit, it has some features that seem like good ideas. When it's integration actually works, it's pretty handy and much better than digging around in HAIMS for an op note.

But, man, there are so many broken features or "features" that are working as intended but functionally broken. Maybe it's just my site, but well over half the PSRs boil down to "Genesis isn't working right".

Eventually it will probably (maybe) get fixed (I hope).

I am lucky, I am not as dependent on it as some due to specialty. And I admit, it has some features that seem like good ideas. When it's integration actually works, it's pretty handy and much better than digging around in HAIMS for an op note.

But, man, there are so many broken features or "features" that are working as intended but functionally broken. Maybe it's just my site, but well over half the PSRs boil down to "Genesis isn't working right".

Eventually it will probably (maybe) get fixed (I hope).
Hopefully it does for those of you that will be working with it long term and God bless you for staying in and taking care of our military. Fortunately I'll be out of the military before anything gets fixed since I'm separating in July and counting down the days (163 to be exact).

If anyone needs a useful Genesis tip sheet that's probably more concise and easier to navigate than milconnect, please PM me your email and I can send you the one I made. It's useful for those in clinic as well as in the ED. Unfortunately I don't have experience with those that work in the OR or other specialized roles.

Alternatively, you can create an account at Login required - Know Your Chit or Login required - Know Your Chit and have access to the continually updated version there. If you request an account on that site, please indicate your affiliation with military medicine in the additional notes box (like include your billet/.mil email) so that I can keep spammers from joining. Thanks.