Miami MD/MPH or GW MD?

Started by Dtran904
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Miami MD/MPH vs George Washington MD?


  • Total voters
    87
I don't really see why a doctor needs a formal "mph". a md gives you all the credibility you need. I mean you can just learn all this stuff on your own anyways without forking over another 50k
Yeah I hate to admit it but even after carefully reading over this thread (and knowing some lovely MPHs) I don't get it either. Do you learn how to do better research? Be more aware of undeserved populations?

I am 100% about my underserved community but I kind of feel like... I already live here...
 
Yeah I hate to admit it but even after carefully reading over this thread (and knowing some lovely MPHs) I don't get it either. Do you learn how to do better research? Be more aware of undeserved populations?

I am 100% about my underserved community but I kind of feel like... I already live here...

mph's are usually just useful if you only have a bachlors degree. if you already have a doctorate, why get a masters? Its more of a signalling device rather than an education that teaches you anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mph's are usually just useful if you only have a bachlors degree. if you already have a doctorate, why get a masters? Its more of a signalling device rather than an education that teaches you anything.
Does the signaling help with anything?
 
if you want a job I guess. The idea is that even if college doesnt teach you anything, the fact that you are in a prestigious college means you must be smart to have gotten there in the first place even if your skills that you learned there are not that useful.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/01/education_0
Oh no obviously I understand that. I wondered if it signaled anything in doctor-world. Like, does this make it easier to get certain kinds of jobs after you get your MD?
 
Damn, this made for some exciting :corny:
Not that it matters since I'm already in the app cycle, but I would personally hesitate to apply to Miami's MD/MPH program after reading this...
 
An mph helps for those more interested in policy.

All degrees have some degree of utility. Goals and opportunity cost need to be considered though.