Mich Resident/26 MCAT/advice needed...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howisbabbyformd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently: AACOMAS GPA: 3.519c/3.493 BCP; AMCAS 3.39c/3.29 BCPM; MCAT: 26

If I take 15 credits of repeat courses in which I performed poorly during my undergrad years (graduated 2008) and get an A in each, that leaves me with an AACOMAS 3.637c/3.713 BCP. Since AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement, the extra credits would get me to a 3.45c/and 3.39 BCPM. I am currently prepping hard for an MCAT retake in June. I think I can muster a 33 (12B/11P/10VR). My question is, should I apply this year or would retaking the courses for A grades be worth the GPA improvement? My home state is Michigan and I am looking at all my state MD schools as well as several DO schools out of state (MSU COM too :) ) In 2010, I was given a chance at filling out a secondary at Wayne State with a 26 MCAT and the same GPA (aka I wasn't immediately rejected). What would you do in my shoes? I am starting a new volunteer opportunity up and am currently working on securing a DO shadowing gig. I have spent 1.5 years unemployed after undergrad (after landing a job for 4 months but laid off due to economy), but the last ~2.5 years i've been employed by the same company.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do your ECs look like specifically?

You're going to have to explain that 1.5 years unemployment, and what you were doing during that time. Develop a narrative for it, as that is a bit of a long time to be unemployed, even if it wasnt your fault.

I would think you definitely have to get the GPA up for WSU or other MDs, but for DOs they might be good. 26 MCAT can be competitive for DO, but a higher score would be great for DO, and necessary for MD.

If you're shooting for WSU, or MSU DO for that matter, you need to get clinical experience if you haven't already. All med schools look for that, but for MI schools, those two especially. Volunteer a day a week in a MI ER/OR/Clinic. Shadow a few docs (make sure one is a DO for MSU).

Be sure to volunteer at least a day a week (for ~3-4 hours) in at least one community program. Schools will definitely look for it. If you're in the Detroit or metro area, I highly suggest volunteering with Forgotten Harvest. Great program, great goal, super easy to sign up. Check out their website, I did it and loved it.

My advice for school would be to go for WSU, MSU, MSU DO, Oakland, Central, and Ros Frank, Chicago Osteo, LECOM.

Overall, its the same as a lot of advice on these boards: If you can, try to get the GPA up. Retake the MCAT, try to score high 20s for DO, 30 or over for MD. Get clinical experience, volunteer in the community a bit, do a few stints of shadowing. Research experience if you can, not a deal breaker if not. Most of all, create a narrative about yourself. Show the schools who you are!

You can get in. Make sure you really want it, and do it. Good luck, and don't give up!

EDIT: I just realized you were asking if you should apply this year. You could apply for DOs this year I would think, but if youre shooting for MDs as well, I would put in a bit more work. Remember, MSU oseto is a really great school for primary.

Hey thanks for the reply. I was told by WSU that the only thing that was holding me back was my MCAT score. The lady in admissions I met with said I "wouldn't necessarily need a 30" but that a 28 could very well do the trick. This would lead me to believe they were satisfied with my ECs and the reason why I was asked to complete a secondary. I have a few hundred hours of volunteer time between hospitals and nursing homes and alternative spring break during college. I am also starting to volunteer in a homeless shelter in the next few weeks for 4 hours a week. I have a variety of shadowing experiences as well and as mentioned am working on getting a new experience. As for what I did during my 1.5 years of unemployment...I helped my sister raise her child, also experienced a bout of depression and searched endlessly for jobs. I also had a few hours of volunteering at a hospital about an hour away from my hometown and took a Biology class at a university in the same city. Also, I have a private pilot's license, not sure if that's worth listing on my AMCAS/AACOMAS or not. And I will definitely score above a 30 on my next MCAT. I am so confident of this because I managed a 26 after studying for only 2 weeks with my EK books where I basically just skimmed over the texts and didn't even do the practice exams, nor did I crack open my 1001 practice question books for any subject. And I will have to retake the MCAT no matter what since my 26 is from 2009.

Edit: I'll also be applying to my Alma Mater WMU School of Medicine ;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, looking good then!

As for the 1.5 years off, mention everything in your personal statement/interviews/whatever, except the depression. I'm betting it was a super ****ty thing to go through, but I have heard schools get very spooked by any mention of mental issues, even if they were isolated and overcome, which it seems like in your case (sorry if Im assuming anything). ABSOLUTLEY mention your pilots license. That is super unique, and will pique schools interest. That is a huge plus for you.

ECs look pretty good, seems like you have good clinical experience, and volunteering. Only advice I would have is to keep it up, maybe look into research if you have the time. Again, not crucial to have, but it might help. Don't break your back over shadowing. Schools just want to see you've done it in a few disciplines, not that you have 200 hours of it.

MCAT stuff: I used EK for the biological sciences, and loved their guides for that. I hated them for physical. Maybe thats just me, but I used Berkely for physical, and I've heard Kaplan is good too. 26 after two weeks is great, but make sure to put a couple months of studying at least, and youll be able to bump that up way further! And take practice tests every couple of weeks, that is a huge thing.

Anyway, like I said, you look pretty good to me, if that matters at all. If WSU said get your MCAT up and you'll be competitive, just do that man. I really think you have a great shot at getting in, either now or later.

EDIT: I've started hearing good things about WMU med as well. Its a great time to be applying as a MI resident. MI is starting to sneak into the top states for medical education, which I think is awesome. That would be so cool if you could get into their 1st or 2nd class as an alum!

Last edited:
Ok, looking good then!

As for the 1.5 years off, mention everything in your personal statement/interviews/whatever, except the depression. I'm betting it was a super ****ty thing to go through, but I have heard schools get very spooked by any mention of mental issues, even if they were isolated and overcome, which it seems like in your case (sorry if Im assuming anything). ABSOLUTLEY mention your pilots license. That is super unique, and will pique schools interest. That is a huge plus for you.

ECs look pretty good, seems like you have good clinical experience, and volunteering. Only advice I would have is to keep it up, maybe look into research if you have the time. Again, not crucial to have, but it might help. Don't break your back over shadowing. Schools just want to see you've done it in a few disciplines, not that you have 200 hours of it.

MCAT stuff: I used EK for the biological sciences, and loved their guides for that. I hated them for physical. Maybe thats just me, but I used Berkely for physical, and I've heard Kaplan is good too. 26 after two weeks is great, but make sure to put a couple months of studying at least, and youll be able to bump that up way further! And take practice tests every couple of weeks, that is a huge thing.

Anyway, like I said, you look pretty good to me, if that matters at all. If WSU said get your MCAT up and you'll be competitive, just do that man. I really think you have a great shot at getting in, either now or later.

Yeah, it was quite a bad thing to go through. But, it's all good now. As far as the EK Physical sciences, that was my worst section on the MCAT (7-yuck) but then again, I didn't really put in the time to get anything above that. I think I will buy the BR physical sciences books though. I have heard really good things about them as well, it just looks like it's info overload whereas the EK books are bare bones no BS extra stuff and can read through it a lot faster which makes me feel better. Maybe I'll use BR physical sci. for supplemental material because I have noticed a few things in EK physical books that they don't do a good job explaining and I do find myself googling a lot haha. I appreciate your thoughtful responses :)

Edit: If I don't get in somewhere this year, the extra classes were to beef up for next year's cycle. Hopefully I don't have to invest the money in those, but it definitely would make my GPA more attractive.

No problem!

Yeah, BR seems pretty in depth, but going through it was worth it for me. PS was by far my worst section, and those damn books really helped me.

And I'm sorry you had to go through that depression bout. Personally I think a TON of pre med, and med students go through something similar, but keep it secret. Its such a stressful road to school, I really think its more common than it seems.

EDIT: extra classes are for sure good if you don't get in this year. I know WSU loves seeing continuing education. But don't take a full course load while trying to do everything else! You can only do so much at once.

DOUBLE EDIT: Love the username

That 26 will keep you out of every MD program, MI and elsewhere. You'll be fine for DO programs right now.

Currently: AACOMAS GPA: 3.519c/3.493 BCP; AMCAS 3.39c/3.29 BCPM; MCAT: 26

If I take 15 credits of repeat courses in which I performed poorly during my undergrad years (graduated 2008) and get an A in each, that leaves me with an AACOMAS 3.637c/3.713 BCP. Since AMCAS doesn't do grade replacement, the extra credits would get me to a 3.45c/and 3.39 BCPM. I am currently prepping hard for an MCAT retake in June. I think I can muster a 33 (12B/11P/10VR). My question is, should I apply this year or would retaking the courses for A grades be worth the GPA improvement? My home state is Michigan and I am looking at all my state MD schools as well as several DO schools out of state (MSU COM too :) ) In 2010, I was given a chance at filling out a secondary at Wayne State with a 26 MCAT and the same GPA (aka I wasn't immediately rejected). What would you do in my shoes? I am starting a new volunteer opportunity up and am currently working on securing a DO shadowing gig. I have spent 1.5 years unemployed after undergrad (after landing a job for 4 months but laid off due to economy), but the last ~2.5 years i've been employed by the same company.

That 26 will keep you out of every MD program, MI and elsewhere. You'll be fine for DO programs right now.

Yeah, I know. I am retaking it because of that and because of the fact that the score is from 2009 and "out of date."

What makes you think you will suddenly improve 7 points? The difference between a 26 and a 33 is the difference from barely above the median to the 90th percentile.

If you can actually pull it off, you'll be solid, even for UMich (since you're in-state). If you can't, you need to seriously consider DO.

What makes you think you will suddenly improve 7 points? The difference between a 26 and a 33 is the difference from barely above the median to the 90th percentile.

If you can actually pull it off, you'll be solid, even for UMich (since you're in-state). If you can't, you need to seriously consider DO.

Well, I am not sure I can do it. However, as I mentioned in my earlier posts, I did hardly any studying for the test in the first place (2 weeks studying and not even a substantial amount of time was dedicated each day during that period.) I have started prepping again, but now my schedule allows me to prep for 6+ hours a day M-Thurs. I've probably put in about as much time to studying for this time as I did on my last attempt. That's why I believe I can score much higher. Also, I am considering DO schools.

Right now you are okay for DO programs, especially MSUCOM
28+ = DO programs will want to interview you very much, apply to low-tier and in-state MD if you want
30+ = should find an MD acceptance somewhere
33+ = profit