Mich St secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princesamariposa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows if Michigan screens out-of-staters for secondaries?
I received a secondary, but it is a very long one, and sure to be a pain in the ars. The app fee is also 75 bones!
Any opinions on the program?
Thanks much
Allison

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

What kind of questions are they asking?

Thanks,
September90

I don't think that they screen. I got the secondary as well, and decided not to fill it out. I figured my chances were slim, I did not want to live there, and the app. for lack of a better word, sucked. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently finished my secondary to MSU-COM and it took quite a few weeks for me to come up with a decent essay. Their question is (NOT word for word): Describe a personal or ethical challenge you have faced. How has this influenced your decision to be an osteopathic physician?

THEN, you have a lot more paperwork. This includes:

--2 forms you sign and date (questions about your exposure to Osteopathic med. and an authorship certification)
--a small packet of papers, which have you list paid jobs, volunteering, non-academic extracurriculars, and awards/honors

Those are 4 separate lists in which they want them listed, the dates when you participated, total hours spent in that activity, and a description of the activity.

Yeah...that took me a while.

I am just wrapping up my MSUCOM secondary. It's quite a lengthy application, but it was worth it for me because MSU is my first choice.

Has anyone received an interview there yet?

-Ali

Just to let everyone know, I called the Michigan St. admissions office today and asked if they screen out-of-staters before secondaries are sent. The woman said that they do, and only send secondaries to 20% of out-of-state students.
Just thought that was interesting. Might as well fill the darn thing out...

I applied as an out-of-stater to MSU because there were things about the school that I found appealing.

I LIKED the school even better when I got the secondary. It wasn't one of the schools that say: "Send us $75 with a pic and a letter saying your not a felon." The secondary indicates the sincere interest the school has in WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR YOU'LL BE. That won some major brownie points with myself.

Yes, the secondary was the most exhaustive. It was also the ONLY school that doesn't specify faculty letters. Why? Because they have specific questions for the letter writer that can be best answered by someone who knows you personally and can speak of your intentions and motivations.

After then interviewing and meeting faculty and staff there I was convinced that MSUCOM would provide the best education for me.

I got in as an alternate and turned down other schools to pay the highest tuition of any school I applied to.

To me it was worth it and I haven't regretted it at all.

So just look at that secondary as a small window into the school and it's approach to medicine and to students.

Later

Yes, the MSUCOM app is long and thorough, but that is because it basically takes the place of the interview. According to the MSU admissions dept, two years ago (don't have the info from last year, sorry) of all the people they interviewed only three were not offered spots at the school. The admissions office would rather see you on paper than in person. This is not necessarily good or bad, it is just their way. Most schools interview more than twice as many students as MSUCOM.