Michigan license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmer2020

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize for the seemingly straight forward question but my school has hardly given us any information on licensing and testing. So I am doing a residency in Michigan and will be applying for a Michigan license. I've gathered that the easiest way to do that would be to just take it in Michigan vs doing it in my state and having it transferred. I also was looking at the LARA website and it gives minimal information on how to apply to sign up for the Naplex/MPJE. I know different states have different requirements. From what I've gathered, Michigan goes through Nabp directly so to apply for the naplex we apply directly though them, is that correct? And the only information they need is our transcripts from our school? I guess I don't understand the process. I don't officially have conferment until May 10th but is there anything I can/should be doing now? Also do I need to apply for an intern license prior to applying for a pharmacy license? Thanks for all of the help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I apologize for the seemingly straight forward question but my school has hardly given us any information on licensing and testing. So I am doing a residency in Michigan and will be applying for a Michigan license. I've gathered that the easiest way to do that would be to just take it in Michigan vs doing it in my state and having it transferred. I also was looking at the LARA website and it gives minimal information on how to apply to sign up for the Naplex/MPJE. I know different states have different requirements. From what I've gathered, Michigan goes through Nabp directly so to apply for the naplex we apply directly though them, is that correct? And the only information they need is our transcripts from our school? I guess I don't understand the process. I don't officially have conferment until May 10th but is there anything I can/should be doing now? Also do I need to apply for an intern license prior to applying for a pharmacy license? Thanks for all of the help in advance

From what I've gathered, Michigan goes through Nabp directly so to apply for the naplex we apply directly though them, is that correct?
That’s correct, all communication and paperwork is done thru LARA. I don’t think they require actual paper application now, since everything is done online now. Check the website to find out.

And the only information they need is our transcripts from our school?
Additionally, you will need to submit intern/rotation hours (minimum of 1500 hours I believe), as well as a statement of a conferral date from you school dean.

I don't officially have conferment until May 10th but is there anything I can/should be doing now?
Since you plan taking your boards in MI, assuming you will be moving, I would start application on graduate intern license. Submission does include getting your fingerprints done, which takes a while.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've gathered, Michigan goes through Nabp directly so to apply for the naplex we apply directly though them, is that correct?
That’s correct, all communication and paperwork is done thru LARA. I don’t think they require actual paper application now, since everything is done online now. Check the website to find out.

And the only information they need is our transcripts from our school?
Additionally, you will need to submit intern/rotation hours (minimum of 1500 hours I believe), as well as a statement of a conferral date from you school dean.

I don't officially have conferment until May 10th but is there anything I can/should be doing now?
Since you plan taking your boards in MI, assuming you will be moving, I would start application on graduate intern license. Submission does include getting your fingerprints done, which takes a while.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

This definitely helps, thank you

You can start your application for pharmacist & controlled substance at LARA only after passing both NAPLEX and MI MPJE. As an out-of-state student, you can take NAPLEX and have the score to be transferred to MI (much cheaper than reciprocity/endorsement/license transfer). MPJE does not require transfer (obviously). I was also quite lost when I applied to MI license as an out-of-state student so I feel you.

Fingerprinting could be a bit confusing as well, especially if you do your fingerprinting outside of Michigan. If you do so, you will probably have to go places like Identogo and get paper one, pay the processing fee online and mail the fingerprinting result to an address in TN or so.

And you are right that you need transcript from your school (NABP won't give you eligibility to take the test without it).

From NAPLEX/MPJE Application Bulletin:

"NABP confirms eligibility to sit for the NAPLEX and MPJE for candidates seeking licensure in Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, Rhode Island, and/or Utah. NABP processes eligibility for these states during the online application process."

"New graduates applying for their first license are required to have an official transcript sent from the pharmacy school that they graduated from to NABP before beginning the NAPLEX/MPJE application process for Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, Rhode Island, and/or Utah. Candidates applying for licensure in Oregon must also submit an official transcript to the Oregon State Board of Pharmacy. Official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope bearing the school’s stamp/seal on the envelope flap. Candidates may request that their school send the transcript electronically to [email protected]"

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can start your application for pharmacist & controlled substance at LARA only after passing both NAPLEX and MI MPJE. As an out-of-state student, you can take NAPLEX and have the score to be transferred to MI (much cheaper than reciprocity/endorsement/license transfer). MPJE does not require transfer (obviously). I was also quite lost when I applied to MI license as an out-of-state student so I feel you.

Fingerprinting could be a bit confusing as well, especially if you do your fingerprinting outside of Michigan. If you do so, you will probably have to go places like Identogo and get paper one, pay the processing fee online and mail the fingerprinting result to an address in TN or so.

And you are right that you need transcript from your school (NABP won't give you eligibility to take the test without it).

From NAPLEX/MPJE Application Bulletin:

"NABP confirms eligibility to sit for the NAPLEX and MPJE for candidates seeking licensure in Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, Rhode Island, and/or Utah. NABP processes eligibility for these states during the online application process."

"New graduates applying for their first license are required to have an official transcript sent from the pharmacy school that they graduated from to NABP before beginning the NAPLEX/MPJE application process for Colorado, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, Rhode Island, and/or Utah. Candidates applying for licensure in Oregon must also submit an official transcript to the Oregon State Board of Pharmacy. Official transcripts must be in a sealed envelope bearing the school’s stamp/seal on the envelope flap. Candidates may request that their school send the transcript electronically to [email protected]"

So you're saying it would be cheaper for me to choose my primary jurisdiction as my home state and then do a license transfer to Michigan? Wouldn't it just be easier to take the Naplex in Michigan and have that be my primary state of licensure? I wasn't even planning on getting licensed in my home state as of now since I don't know where I'll end up after residency.

So you're saying it would be cheaper for me to choose my primary jurisdiction as my home state and then do a license transfer to Michigan? Wouldn't it just be easier to take the Naplex in Michigan and have that be my primary state of licensure? I wasn't even planning on getting licensed in my home state as of now since I don't know where I'll end up after residency.

No, in your specific case, if I were you, I would make Michigan as primary state. I thought you were trying to get licensed in both where you graduated and Michigan. My apology if I confused you.

Naplex score transfer is different from license transfer. Doing Naplex score transfer is applying as licensure by examination and is much cheaper than license transfer. As far as I know, once you are licensed in a state, you cannot do Naplex score transfer thus license transfer/endorsement/reciprocity is the only option - and more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
No, in your specific case, if I were you, I would make Michigan as primary state. I thought you were trying to get licensed in both where you graduated and Michigan. My apology if I confused you.

Naplex score transfer is different from license transfer. Doing Naplex score transfer is applying as licensure by examination and is much cheaper than license transfer. As far as I know, once you are licensed in a state, you cannot do Naplex score transfer thus license transfer/endorsement/reciprocity is the only option - and more expensive.

Ohhh makes sense. Thank you for clarifying! I'm still debating if I want to get licensed in both states or not, but given the uncertainty right now and many people having trouble finding testing dates, I think I will just get licensed in Michigan for now. Thanks!