Michigan Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wpeck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently attend the University of Michigan. I've lived in Michigan for the past 17. I applied to the Dental School here but I got some residency issues because of some out of state activity (my dad moved to Maryland before my freshmen year//my mom stayed and still owns a house in Michigan). The University stated that I will be considered in state as long as I show proof of house bils, tax work on Sept. 2006.

However shortly after that my mother plans on moving to where my dad currently resides in Maryland. Do I have the possibility of starting in-state, but losing my residency in school? Any help would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds complicated...i dont think anyone here can give you an answer....id call the school directly

Good luck and GO BLUE!

wpeck said:
I currently attend the University of Michigan. I've lived in Michigan for the past 17. I applied to the Dental School here but I got some residency issues because of some out of state activity (my dad moved to Maryland before my freshmen year//my mom stayed and still owns a house in Michigan). The University stated that I will be considered in state as long as I show proof of house bils, tax work on Sept. 2006.

However shortly after that my mother plans on moving to where my dad currently resides in Maryland. Do I have the possibility of starting in-state, but losing my residency in school? Any help would be awesome.

I know the kind of problem you have. I went to HS in another country and then moved to US. Lived in Maryland for about a year and took few ESL classes there and my family moved to Michigan. They asked me to prove my residency once and thats it. I have been instate ever since and I was admitted as Instate. So I am assuming that if you get in as an Instate you will be instate forever. Becasue in Dental Schools you are independent of your parents and you don't have to report any information regarding your parents if you don't want to(you just won't get Health Professional Loan).

oops sorry