Michigan State c/o 2026 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jwood015

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this for all my MSU 2026 hopefuls! I’m a 2nd time IS, non traditional applicant(32yo with 2 kids—shoutout to all the moms and dads out there!) I can’t wait to meet everyone! Let the waiting game begin, we’ve got this!! 🤪🐾

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
also a non traditional applicant! (30 with 1 child) hope the best for you and everyone applying this year!

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck to you both! I'm a 4th year with a 3.5 yo and one on the way almost through clinics!! Its hard but you get through it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! First time OOS applicant, 3rd time doing applications! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to you both! I'm a 4th year with a 3.5 yo and one on the way almost through clinics!! Its hard but you get through it!
Look at you go!! Thank you for the encouraging words!

Hi everyone! Second-time applicant, but first time applying to MSU! :)

Ahhh yes! I got waitlisted at Michigan last year as well🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Second time applicant IS! Fingers crossed :)

Starting this for all my MSU 2026 hopefuls! I’m a 2nd time IS, non traditional applicant(32yo with 2 kids—shoutout to all the moms and dads out there!) I can’t wait to meet everyone! Let the waiting game begin, we’ve got this!! 🤪🐾
first time OOS applicant

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the CASPer test?? I had such a hard time finishing my answers! I will say I’m not the fastest typer🥴

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the CASPer test?? I had such a hard time finishing my answers! I will say I’m not the fastest typer🥴
I was big-time stressing to get my answers typed! But I would rather take CASPer than GRE, I think it's more applicable and relevant.

I was big-time stressing to get my answers typed! But I would rather take CASPer than GRE, I think it's more applicable and relevant.
I do like the idea of where the schools are trying to take the admissions process and DEF preferred it over the GRE. I do, however think it has some major flaws(typing speed, not having an actual scoring system, not knowing how heavily weighed the results are, etc.) I wonder how much the schools actually take it into account?? I may be of the unpopular opinion but i’m excited to see that interviews are back on this year(tentatively) I’m assuming pending nothing catastrophic happens with covid 🤞🏼

i’m excited to see that interviews are back on this year(tentatively) I’m assuming pending nothing catastrophic happens with covid 🤞🏼

Michigan isn't doing interviews this year -- or are you talking about other schools?

Michigan isn't doing interviews this year -- or are you talking about other schools?

Oh wait I see what you’re saying they updated their website for tentative interviews. Did you get an email/confirmation from them about doing interviews? Last contact I have from them says no interviews this cycle. But yes that would be exciting!

Oh wait I see what you’re saying they updated their website for tentative interviews. Did you get an email/confirmation from them about doing interviews? Last contact I have from them says no interviews this cycle. But yes that would be exciting!
Ohh I haven’t actually gotten direct confirmation from them, just saw it tentatively on the schedule! That could certainly be a huge emphasis on tentatively

Attachments

• 13827EBE-6A63-4D2E-B54E-A908AF6293EC.png
    13827EBE-6A63-4D2E-B54E-A908AF6293EC.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 196
Ohh I haven’t actually gotten direct confirmation from them, just saw it tentatively on the schedule! That could certainly be a huge emphasis on tentatively

Gotcha! I’m going to an info session next week so I’m sure they’ll mention something then, I’ll let you know :)

Reactions: 1 users
Gotcha! I’m going to an info session next week so I’m sure they’ll mention something then, I’ll let you know :)
I’ll be interested to see what they say, as I know all of their emails so far have said no interviews this cycle. Thank you!!!

I honestly found it had a lot of moral-based questions that weren't fair. My last one in particular I found to be extremely unfair. If I was allowed to say what it was I would but I don't think I can. Nonetheless I found it to be better than the GRE

I honestly found it had a lot of moral-based questions that weren't fair. My last one in particular I found to be extremely unfair. If I was allowed to say what it was I would but I don't think I can. Nonetheless I found it to be better than the GRE
I got my casper test back and scored the lowest 🤣 I swear I'm not unethical though.. I just found it hard to answer all the prompts concisely with the time given. I don't think it's an accurate measure for everyone especially if English is your 2nd language.

So does that mean Michigan will do Casper and interviews both this year?

1st time MSU OOS applicant, second year applicant. My parents actually just moved back to Michigan so it would be nice to get in😂

Glad to hear no interviews! Does anyone know what changes that makes to when we will hear a decision by?

I got my casper test back and scored the lowest 🤣 I swear I'm not unethical though.. I just found it hard to answer all the prompts concisely with the time given. I don't think it's an accurate measure for everyone especially if English is your 2nd language.
Exactly!!

Glad to hear no interviews! Does anyone know what changes that makes to when we will hear a decision by?

Current first year here! Last year we also had no interviews, just the CASPer score. They invited IS and OOS students to a virtual webinar (one for IS and one for OOS) and those invited were technically the ones being “interviewed”, as those invited were invited based on their file review and not CASPer scores, which were then looked at after. Everyone invited to the webinar was subsequently waitlisted or accepted. IS heard at the end of November for invites to this webinar, and this was when rejections went out too, and OOS heard a few weeks later. The webinars happened in December/January, and then all IS/OOS heard back about acceptances/waitlist mid-February!

Also, weirdly, it seemed MSU tended to reach out on Wednesday’s more than other days. MSU also usually contacts IS first and then OOS!!

If anyone has any further questions about the school, curriculum, etc, feel free to reach out! I’m lowkey lurking so I can help others where needed like others have helped me!

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else get the email about not hearing until November and their stomach dropped? 😅😅

Anyone else get the email about not hearing until November and their stomach dropped? 😅😅
My stomach dropped before opening the email. After opening the email, it relaxed

omg yes, but also happy to hear that we may hear in November !!! With last years admission process, some people didn't hear anything until January

Good luck guys! IS here 2nd time applying. I was waitlisted last year🤞🏻 Last year those invited to the reception (was like an informational meeting on zoom) at the end of Nov were either accepted or put on the waitlist! Stay positive :)

Reactions: 4 users
Good luck guys! IS here 2nd time applying. I was waitlisted last year🤞🏻 Last year those invited to the reception (was like an informational meeting on zoom) at the end of Nov were either accepted or put on the waitlist! Stay positive :)
Rooting for you that this year is your year!! 😊 (and everyone else of course!)

best of luck to you this cycle! I’m IS and this is my 2nd time applying to. I was rejected last year and just looked, got that email 11/30! So at least we can hope that those emails will go out soon so the agony of waiting is over 😂

best of luck to you this cycle! I’m IS and this is my 2nd time applying to. I was rejected last year and just looked, got that email 11/30! So at least we can hope that those emails will go out soon so the agony of waiting is over 😂
Haha waiting is the worst part. The invites were sent 11/25 so soon!! Hoping this year is your year!!

Hey guys, I'm a little confused on what this "virtual reception" is.. is this an interview for the admissions? Or is it like an introductory to the school using virtual format? If so, does this mean invitations only go out to accepted applicants?

Hey guys, I'm a little confused on what this "virtual reception" is.. is this an interview for the admissions? Or is it like an introductory to the school using virtual format? If so, does this mean invitations only go out to accepted applicants?
Someone else might be able to answer better, but I believe last year it was just a virtual information session — kind of like an introduction. All those invited to the “reception” last year were either accepted or waitlisted, like @msu_equine said!

Reactions: 3 users
Someone else might be able to answer better, but I believe last year it was just a virtual information session — kind of like an introduction. All those invited to the “reception” last year were either accepted or waitlisted, like @msu_equine said!
oh lord so it's like being invited to a party only to be told "stay" or "leave" sounds painful :scared:

• Haha
Hey y'all!! Second time OOS applicant! Rejected from Michigan State last year so keeping my fingers crossed!!

I can speak a bit more about this and add some finer details for what to maybe expect!

For us last year, it was basically used as an introduction to the school using a virtual format. It took place of the reception/dinner they’d have if they did in person interviews. Basically, the dean spoke to us, as well as some admissions advisors, financial aide, and some current students had a panel as well. They broke down the curriculum some and also answered questions applicants may have had. It was purely informative to help us make a well informed decision about attending MSU— and yes, as it’s been stated, they did confirm those invited we waitlisted/accepted, but had another few month long agonizing wait until we were told where we fell!

It was honestly really great and I’m so glad MSU did something like that for us, and hopefully they do it again for ya’ll!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi!! I am a non-traditional first time applicant - I just took a couple years off of school due to finances. My grades werent that great in the beginning but have improved, significantly.

I have lived in Arizona for the past 6-7 years but grew up in Michigan. So, MSU is actually my IS school. I am not sure if I accurately portrayed that on my application though, so I am curious how that will play out.

As for the CASPr, I had a good experience with it and scored well. I wonder if we all had different questions. As for the typing, I really didn't bother with spelling or correcting typos because they mention that it isn't factored in and the time frame adds more pressure.

Wishing everyone the best!

Hi!! I am a non-traditional first time applicant - I just took a couple years off of school due to finances. My grades werent that great in the beginning but have improved, significantly.

I have lived in Arizona for the past 6-7 years but grew up in Michigan. So, MSU is actually my IS school. I am not sure if I accurately portrayed that on my application though, so I am curious how that will play out.

As for the CASPr, I had a good experience with it and scored well. I wonder if we all had different questions. As for the typing, I really didn't bother with spelling or correcting typos because they mention that it isn't factored in and the time frame adds more pressure.

I believe the CASPr is scored in comparison to how everyone else answered, so my guess is everyone who took it on the same day did have all the same questions !

Is your current legal residence in Michigan? (I.e. Driver's license, state taxes, voter registration, etc). If not, the university *will not* consider you as in-state. Additionally, on your VMCAS did you list your mailing address as your current home in Arizona? If that isn't listed as a Michigan resident, you may also run into trouble. Most states have an "If you moved here for the purpose of school, you're never in-state" policy. Meaning, if you don't move to Michigan before you are accepted to MSU, they will not grant you in-state tuition. (I ran into this with my graduate program years ago, just FYI so you aren't shocked!)

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!! Fingers crossed :)