You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Michigan State C/O 2028
Started by honeypot999
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got this too! I was confused because I thought I had all of mine completed and I completed my bachelors which should waive them? I emailed them so we shall see!OOS waitlist- congrats everyone!! Did anyone else who is waitlisted also get the follow up email about general education requirements?
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
Hello all! I wanted to put this on here for those that are waitlisted or got denied.
DO NOT GIVE UP!
Here’s a little background about me for inspiration:
-non traditional student
-applied to vet school 5x (I only got 2 interviews prior to this cycle)
-retaken several classes because they were either going to “expire” or to improve my grade
-started a masters program in social work (for veterinary social work) in fall 2022 after not getting into vet school as a backup plan
-was not a fan of my coursework and decided to stop after my first semester with the goal of reapplying to vet school
-did a grad certificate in vet sciences this past summer (highly suggest)
-I applied to 12 schools this cycle and only got 2 interviews — one I got waitlisted at
All this to say this: I was so close to giving up. I was told year after year and school after school that I was denied. I didn’t feel like I was smart enough or good enough to attend vet school. But here I am with an ACCEPTANCE.
DONT GIVE UP! Don’t let anyone tell you that you aren’t good enough or that you aren’t deserving.
If anyone wants to reach out directly, feel free to send me a message. Happy to help give feedback on an application or just talk about your vet med journey.
DO NOT GIVE UP!
Here’s a little background about me for inspiration:
-non traditional student
-applied to vet school 5x (I only got 2 interviews prior to this cycle)
-retaken several classes because they were either going to “expire” or to improve my grade
-started a masters program in social work (for veterinary social work) in fall 2022 after not getting into vet school as a backup plan
-was not a fan of my coursework and decided to stop after my first semester with the goal of reapplying to vet school
-did a grad certificate in vet sciences this past summer (highly suggest)
-I applied to 12 schools this cycle and only got 2 interviews — one I got waitlisted at
All this to say this: I was so close to giving up. I was told year after year and school after school that I was denied. I didn’t feel like I was smart enough or good enough to attend vet school. But here I am with an ACCEPTANCE.
DONT GIVE UP! Don’t let anyone tell you that you aren’t good enough or that you aren’t deserving.
If anyone wants to reach out directly, feel free to send me a message. Happy to help give feedback on an application or just talk about your vet med journey.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
I’m hoping they will send a Facebook group info?OOS acceptance!! Will somebody post in here if there is a group or anything made for accepted students? I can't wait to meet all my future classmates!!!
Hey guys! I have created a discord server for the class of 2028! please use this link to join: Join the MSU Class of 2028 Discord Server!
JVaspiringvet
Full Member
OOS ACCEPTANCE
aaml200445
Full Member
I know we JUST heard back yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions of what they are planning on doing in order to prepare for classes in August in terms of any material they think they might need/want to review?
Good question! I’m guessing that information would be in our online orientation modules.I know we JUST heard back yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions of what they are planning on doing in order to prepare for classes in August in terms of any material they think they might need/want to review?
There will be online modules that will cover any study needs. Until then just relax!Good question! I’m guessing that information would be in our online orientation modules.
I know we JUST heard back yesterday, but I was wondering if anyone had any information/suggestions of what they are planning on doing in order to prepare for classes in August in terms of any material they think they might need/want to review?
The online modules this summer will provide you checklists of what you need to get done and supplies you’ll need.
Don't worry about reviewing anything material wise, you will get nothing but that come August. Take the time now to just relax!
hopefullyfuturedogtor
Full Member
Do we have a white coat ceremony? If so, when is it usually?
hopefullyfuturedogtor
Full Member
Also, how soon should I be looking for housing?
Prior to our class it was during 3rd year as a the class transitioned to clinics.Do we have a white coat ceremony? If so, when is it usually?
Beginning with our class, it’s now during the first semester of school. I don’t know how they’ll change things based on feedback from us, but expect it towards the beginning.
If you know you’re coming here, start as soon as you can. This is a college town and the nice places will fill their leases before the less nice places.Also, how soon should I be looking for housing?
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
Anyone know if anyone creates a Facebook page or anything? I feel like it would be great to room with a vet student and take over someone’s lease who is graduatingPrior to our class it was during 3rd year as a the class transitioned to clinics.
Beginning with our class, it’s now during the first semester of school. I don’t know how they’ll change things based on feedback from us, but expect it towards the beginning.
If you know you’re coming here, start as soon as you can. This is a college town and the nice places will fill their leases before the less nice places.
I believe one of my classmates made ours, I don’t think the school makes a Facebook group. There is one called “Michigan State CVM” that is open for all CVM people and people post a lot of lease take overs in there too.Anyone know if anyone creates a Facebook page or anything? I feel like it would be great to room with a vet student and take over someone’s lease who is graduating
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
This might be a dumb question…will we need muck boots for large animal stuff?
Yes you do! They’ll send out a list of things you’ll need for school closer to August. But if you’re in doubt if you actually need it ask someone, because some of the things on the list I haven’t used since I bought itThis might be a dumb question…will we need muck boots for large animal stuff?
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
What about stethoscopes? Will they have some to try before you buy?Yes you do! They’ll send out a list of things you’ll need for school closer to August. But if you’re in doubt if you actually need it ask someone, because some of the things on the list I haven’t used since I bought it
Haha have you even used your muck boots? 😅
Yes, we've needed boots at least a few times for class! The one thing I haven't used and honestly don't even think I have that was on our list was a thermometer lolWhat about stethoscopes? Will they have some to try before you buy?
Haha have you even used your muck boots? 😅
Our class was gifted stethoscopes (Littmann Classic III) by an alum, I'm not 100% sure this happens every year... @honeypot999 do you know?
You're honestly fine with a basic stethoscope if you choose to buy one, you don't need a Littmann Cardiology IV or one of the electronic ones unless you want one.
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
Well I know some schools say to not buy an expensive one in case it gets stolen. Wasn’t sure if it was easier to hear things with a cardiology or Eko oneYes, we've needed boots at least a few times for class! The one thing I haven't used and honestly don't even think I have that was on our list was a thermometer lol
Our class was gifted stethoscopes (Littmann Classic III) by an alum, I'm not 100% sure this happens every year... @honeypot999 do you know?
You're honestly fine with a basic stethoscope if you choose to buy one, you don't need a Littmann Cardiology IV or one of the electronic ones unless you want one.
I mean it is easier to hear with those models, but the reality is I've maybe used my stethoscope for class... 4-5 times this year?Well I know some schools say to not buy an expensive one in case it gets stolen. Wasn’t sure if it was easier to hear things with a cardiology or Eko one
Ultimately if you want one of those models and feel like it will be useful for you, get it for yourself. However, you don’t need one of those models to be successful in the curriculum
You also will get a locker so you have a place to store things on campus!
I’m pretty sure every year they get gifted. However I have an extra one so I can keep one at school and have one at home for personal pets. You can never have too many lolYes, we've needed boots at least a few times for class! The one thing I haven't used and honestly don't even think I have that was on our list was a thermometer lol
Our class was gifted stethoscopes (Littmann Classic III) by an alum, I'm not 100% sure this happens every year... @honeypot999 do you know?
You're honestly fine with a basic stethoscope if you choose to buy one, you don't need a Littmann Cardiology IV or one of the electronic ones unless you want one.
Also don’t by reflex hammers, scalpel blades, and a couple other small things I can’t remember.Yes, we've needed boots at least a few times for class! The one thing I haven't used and honestly don't even think I have that was on our list was a thermometer lol
Our class was gifted stethoscopes (Littmann Classic III) by an alum, I'm not 100% sure this happens every year... @honeypot999 do you know?
You're honestly fine with a basic stethoscope if you choose to buy one, you don't need a Littmann Cardiology IV or one of the electronic ones unless you want one.
Yeah, I don’t think I bought those either 😂Also don’t by reflex hammers, scalpel blades, and a couple other small things I can’t remember.
alltoowell
New Member
OOS acceptance and I’m still in shock. I’m very excited to attend the CVM Visit Day.
As someone moving from an island to Michigan, what are some things you’d recommend me to buy (clothing wise)? Other than coats and boots.
As someone moving from an island to Michigan, what are some things you’d recommend me to buy (clothing wise)? Other than coats and boots.
Accepted in-state. Have lived in Michigan most of my life. Michigan's nice because we get all of the weather, but none of the really bad weather (at least in the lower peninsula), lol. Summers can get up to 90 with humidity. And obviously winters can be below zero at times, especially with the wind chill. That is to say, you're going to need a range of different clothing. But I really like experiencing all of the seasons. Wouldn't mind if winter was just a tad shorter though. 😆 Also, Congratulations!OOS acceptance and I’m still in shock. I’m very excited to attend the CVM Visit Day.
As someone moving from an island to Michigan, what are some things you’d recommend me to buy (clothing wise)? Other than coats and boots.
Hats, gloves, extra blanket for the car, wool socks, I have lots of underlayers from underarmour or other brands for when I’m working outside or exercising outside. Fleeced lined leggings for winterOOS acceptance and I’m still in shock. I’m very excited to attend the CVM Visit Day.
As someone moving from an island to Michigan, what are some things you’d recommend me to buy (clothing wise)? Other than coats and boots.
Summer wise you should be good with your island clothing.
Bring an umbrella and a rain jacket!
dogtorluke
New Member
Anyone going to the visit day next Friday know what to expect? I’m coming from OOS. Just excited!
And is the discord the only group people have joined? I’ve seen Facebook groups created in the past but didn’t know if we had one yet
And is the discord the only group people have joined? I’ve seen Facebook groups created in the past but didn’t know if we had one yet
Current first year here! Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far!! Please take this time to relax, be proud of yourselves and celebrate your achievements! I am an OOS student who moved from Las Vegas (so pretty much across the country) with two dogs, some fish and my husband — if anyone has any questions about a long move, or anything else, don’t hesitate to reach out!
For those of you who didn’t make it in this cycle don’t be discouraged! This application process can be so grueling and you did that! You’ve worked so hard to get to where you are and you should be so proud of yourselves. Don’t give up, it will happen for you <3
For those of you who didn’t make it in this cycle don’t be discouraged! This application process can be so grueling and you did that! You’ve worked so hard to get to where you are and you should be so proud of yourselves. Don’t give up, it will happen for you <3
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember you from last cycle! Congratulations!!IS ACCEPTANCE!!!!!!
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
I actually do have some questions! I’ll message you 🙂Current first year here! Congratulations to everyone that has been accepted so far!! Please take this time to relax, be proud of yourselves and celebrate your achievements! I am an OOS student who moved from Las Vegas (so pretty much across the country) with two dogs, some fish and my husband — if anyone has any questions about a long move, or anything else, don’t hesitate to reach out!
For those of you who didn’t make it in this cycle don’t be discouraged! This application process can be so grueling and you did that! You’ve worked so hard to get to where you are and you should be so proud of yourselves. Don’t give up, it will happen for you <3
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
Absolutely! It is jammed pack with information, lunches, and bonding activities@honeypot999 Did the in-person orientation take all day for the whole week?
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
Love this! So excited to start a new adventure and meet everyone!Absolutely! It is jammed pack with information, lunches, and bonding activities
I remember you from last cycle! Congratulations!!
Thank you so much🤍🤍
Good to hear! Thanks!Absolutely! It is jammed pack with information, lunches, and bonding activities
Shameless plug here:
Already know you’re attending MSU in the fall? Get some awesome swag to represent your spartan pride from the Internal Medicine Merch Sale!
Money goes towards wet labs, lunch and learns, and so much more!
forms.gle
Already know you’re attending MSU in the fall? Get some awesome swag to represent your spartan pride from the Internal Medicine Merch Sale!
Money goes towards wet labs, lunch and learns, and so much more!
IM Club 2024 Spring Merch Sale
Items will be distributed in mailboxes or held until the fall for pick up
forms.gle
Alrighty friends. My laptop died at the end of undergrad and I’ve held out on getting another one until vet school was a real option….here we are. I am definitely interested in getting an iPad for notes/lectures/etc, but does anyone have any laptop recommendations? Does Mich State have any specific requirements I need to follow? Thanks in advance!!!
No specific requirements, but you do need to have a laptop for exam taking purposes! People have both Windows and Macs. They did recommend a decent amount of storage and 16GB of RAM, which seems like a lot, but honestly I'm glad to have more memory especially for the times when I'm running multiple programs at once.Alrighty friends. My laptop died at the end of undergrad and I’ve held out on getting another one until vet school was a real option….here we are. I am definitely interested in getting an iPad for notes/lectures/etc, but does anyone have any laptop recommendations? Does Mich State have any specific requirements I need to follow? Thanks in advance!!!
I use a Macbook Pro and iPad. I just love the easy synchronization between my devices and the iPad is an awesome tool for note taking during class or while watching prep video lectures.
Like Miranda said, no specific requirements.Alrighty friends. My laptop died at the end of undergrad and I’ve held out on getting another one until vet school was a real option….here we are. I am definitely interested in getting an iPad for notes/lectures/etc, but does anyone have any laptop recommendations? Does Mich State have any specific requirements I need to follow? Thanks in advance!!!
I love having a surface pro, and I only have 8 gb of ram so I have my one drive settings changed to remove the files off my computer after a month of no usage.
Highly recommend a way to write out either through an iPad, tablet or something for notes. It helps with drawing since some assignments require that
UTLonghorn13
Full Member
I hope they’ll go over this at orientation?No specific requirements, but you do need to have a laptop for exam taking purposes! People have both Windows and Macs. They did recommend a decent amount of storage and 16GB of RAM, which seems like a lot, but honestly I'm glad to have more memory especially for the times when I'm running multiple programs at once.
I use a Macbook Pro and iPad. I just love the easy synchronization between my devices and the iPad is an awesome tool for note taking during class or while watching prep video lectures.
If I remember correctly, the computer spec recommendations were in our online orientation modules over the summer!I hope they’ll go over this at orientation?
They will provide you with all the information you need to know 🙂
I agree with what my peers have already said. I use an M2 Macbook Air and iPad Air 3 in class. I was using my 2015 Macbook Pro when school started and just felt like I was ready for an upgrade, the fans were always going crazy and it would lag really bad. I didn't have enough money to purchase a new computer so I looked into a one-time budget increase that the school offers. I waited until my loans kicked in, bought the computer, filled out the application & sent the receipt and I was reimbursed for the amount I paid. If you can't afford to buy a new one now or would rather use your money for other things like moving expenses it could be a good option: Increasing Your Budget | Michigan State UniversityAlrighty friends. My laptop died at the end of undergrad and I’ve held out on getting another one until vet school was a real option….here we are. I am definitely interested in getting an iPad for notes/lectures/etc, but does anyone have any laptop recommendations? Does Mich State have any specific requirements I need to follow? Thanks in advance!!!
Just be aware that it's loan money.
joanzmo
Full Member
Just double checking myself. There is a fee for the criminal background check? ($150). Not a big deal of course, I was just surprised because I have never seen any mention of it anywhere. Not here. Not on MSU website and they are so thorough at listing everything. Can someone confirm that they got this too. Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im pretty sure ive seen that on the website beforeJust double checking myself. There is a fee for the criminal background check? ($150). Not a big deal of course, I was just surprised because I have never seen any mention of it anywhere. Not here. Not on MSU website and they are so thorough at listing everything. Can someone confirm that they got this too. Thanks!
do we get our waitlist number on april 15th? i just saw someone on Facebook got off the waitlist