Michigan State CHM vs. BU vs. CWRU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

32168plusdone

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Context: First gen college student from a rural area, graduated from large public research institution, looking for a school that will allow me to continue with research while being integrated in/working in underserved communities. Have some debt from undergrad, but I want to set myself up for success later, whether that means matching to a great residency or not being in debt for 500 years. Really struggling to make a decision, especially when no one has been able to visit schools/do a vibe check with COVID. I don't really have anyone in my family/immediate circle in the medical field to ask for guidance, so I thought I would try here.


Michigan State

Pros:
-In state tuition
-Rural medicine focused (chance to work in underserved communities)
-Close to family

Cons:
-Very limited research opportunity (kind of dismissive about research in pre-interview info session)
-Weaker match list
-Less of a chance to branch out (lived in Michigan all of my life)

BU

Pros:
-Love Boston and NE (sister went to college in Boston)
-Very strong research program, especially in infectious disease (interested in specializing)
-Insurance in MA is * chefs kiss* compared to the rest of the US
-BMC is INCREDIBLE
-Very focused on social justice, and has a long and strong history of equity
-Strong match list

Cons:
-Boston is an expensive city+ private school tuition (scares me a lot)

CWRU

Pros:

-Really like the structure of the school day (classes in morning, independent learning in afternoon/evening)
-Cleveland COL is very cheap
-2 weeks of cadaver dissection/ rest of anatomy being VR (cool concept!)
-Cleveland Clinic + great hospitals in the city/ diverse patient population
-VERY good match list
-New facilities and great admissions staff
-Really top tier research opportunities, with research project mandatory for graduation

Cons:

-COA is crazy expensive (same as BU)
-Not offering merit based aid this year/scholarships

Summary:

Michigan State is a nice option due to in-state tuition, Case and BU are both social justice oriented research institutions with a private school price tag. Want to pick the school that will help me to become a well rounded physician that has the opportunity to learn from diverse patient populations and with diverse student bodies.
 
Last edited:
I'd go to Case. Bigger name, lots of research opportunities, top 25 in the country. CC is great. Matching is great. Live like a resident for a couple years as an attending, and pay off the loans. BU is a good choice too, little run down I understand. I'd pick Case.
 
Hello. Congratulations on your acceptances.
If you are looking for a school that would provide you the opportunity to work with underserved + diverse population, then BU is that school. its associated hospital BMC is a safety-net hospital, a homeless shelter next to it. and I believe in 1st year student began to have clinical exposure. Boston is an expensive place to live. this can be offset by having roommate. Additionally, you really don't need a car due to looking for a parking space and because of the public transportation (can get to you to any place in Boston if you plan accordingly).

Plus, Boston is a health and research hub.

Based on population and research: My vote is

1. BU (living in the city has its perks)
1. CWRU (has name, which will open doors)
3. Michigan. I don't think you should let money deter you.
 
Last edited:
I'd go to Case. Bigger name, lots of research opportunities, top 25 in the country. CC is great. Matching is great. Live like a resident for a couple years as an attending, and pay off the loans. BU is a good choice too, little run down I understand. I'd pick Case.
Thank you so much for your reply! I was wondering what people thought the cost/benefit ratio for Case was since it is so expensive but also incredible. I really appreciate it!
 
Hello. Congratulations on your acceptances.
If you are looking for a school that would provide you the opportunity to work with underserved + diverse population, then BU is that school. its associated hospital BMC is a safety-net hospital, a homeless shelter next to it. and I believe in 1st year student began to have clinical exposure. Boston is an expensive place to live. this can be offset by having roommate. Additionally, you really don't need a car due to looking for a parking space and because of the public transportation (can get to you to any place in Boston if you plan accordingly).

Plus, Boston is a health and research hub.

Based on population and research: My vote is

1. BU (living in the city has its perks)
1. CWRU (has name, which will open doors)
3. Michigan. I don't think you should let money deter you.
Thank you so much! It seems like there are a lot of perks to BU I wasn't considering already. I agree that BU and BMC are perfect for working with the patient populations I'm interested in. Definitely also in love with Boston and the science-focus of the city. I really appreciate your input!