Michigan State vs. Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerchuffs

Reaction score
I never thought I'd be in this position but I was accepted to two schools!! I am needing to decide between MSU & Western. I'd love to hear from any past students of either schools &/or anyone who wants to give their opinion as I am now super torn!

Background info:
-34 yrs old, female, currently living in San Diego
-Grew up in Montana & did undergrad at Indiana University
-Married (spouse is supportive of moving to Michigan, moving to Pomona or somewhere in between there & San Diego. He does not want to do long-distance so that is off the table.
-We'd be moving a dog, 3 cats, 4 snakes, and a coral reef fish tank.
-No human kids.

Academic Considerations:
-I'm interested in hands-on learning as I have been a zookeeper for the past 15 years and definitely would get restless in a classroom without labs/clinical work/etc. for several years.
-I am not prescribed to a certain line of vet med but definitely want to get the experience in a variety of facets, including zoo med.
-Would like a school that is " non-traditional friendly" where I wouldn't feel like a total old fart & could develop a relationship with my classmates (despite age/life-stage differences).
-Want to keep the possibility of residency placement open (esp. zoo med) so whichever school would set me up best for that would be great.

Financial considerations:
-Cost for both schools seems to be comparable: OOS at MSU vs. private tuition at Western.
-Obviously would love to get scholarships, so if one school has more opportunities for that over the other..that's a plus.
-Cost of living is very different between the two locations but we could easily sell our condo in San Diego or rent it out to pay for housing in either location. So that is less of a factor.

Where would you recommend? Thoughts? Anything I'm not thinking of that you would consider a deciding factor? Many thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd be in this position but I was accepted to two schools!! I am needing to decide between MSU & Western. I'd love to hear from any past students of either schools &/or anyone who wants to give their opinion as I am now super torn!

Background info:
-Married (spouse is supportive of moving to Michigan, moving to Pomona or somewhere in between there & San Diego. He does not want to do long-distance so that is off the table.
-No kids...yet. Possibly considering having a baby first year of school. Maybe, maybe not...but still on the table.

Academic Considerations:
-I'm interested in hands-on learning as I have been a zookeeper for the past 15 years and definitely would get restless in a classroom without labs/clinical work/etc. for several years.
-I am not prescribed to a certain line of vet med but definitely want to get the experience in a variety of facets, including zoo med.
-Would like a school that is " non-traditional friendly" where I wouldn't feel like a total old fart & could develop a relationship with my classmates (despite age/life-stage differences).
-Want to keep the possibility of residency placement open (esp. zoo med) so whichever school would set me up best for that would be great.

-Cost for both schools seems to be comparable: OOS at MSU vs. private tuition at Western.
-Obviously would love to get scholarships, so if one school has more opportunities for that over the other..that's a plus.
-Cost of living is very different between the two locations but we could easily sell our condo in San Diego or rent it out to pay for housing in either location. So that is less of a factor.

Where would you recommend? Thoughts? Anything I'm not thinking of that you would consider a deciding factor? Many thanks in advance!!!
I just got accepted to western too! Western is a great school for non trad students. 3 of the docs I’ve worked for had a baby their first year and it worked out for them. If you end up at western, I’m also a 30 some year old considering a baby during first year 😊

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted to western too! Western is a great school for non trad students. 3 of the docs I’ve worked for had a baby their first year and it worked out for them. If you end up at western, I’m also a 30 some year old considering a baby during first year 😊
I just PM'd you! Yay!!! Congrats to us!

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)

Background info:
-No human kids.

Academic Considerations:

Anyone else familiar with MSU &/or Western?

I won't claim to be an expert on either school, but MSU has a teaching hospital, whereas I don't believe Western does. For me at least, that would be a big plus in favour of MSU. They aren't too far off cost-wise, but I believe MSU is still slightly cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
I won't claim to be an expert on either school, but MSU has a teaching hospital, whereas I don't believe Western does. For me at least, that would be a big plus in favour of MSU. They aren't too far off cost-wise, but I believe MSU is still slightly cheaper.
Yes you’re correct. Although there is no teaching hospital, Western has 2 years of extensions at (nearly) any outside facility/clinic/etc. What would the main difference in having the teaching hospital vs. not having it be, for you ? (All centralized location? greater exposure to unique cases? Etc?)

Yes you’re correct. Although there is no teaching hospital, Western has 2 years of extensions at (nearly) any outside facility/clinic/etc. What would the main difference in having the teaching hospital vs. not having it be, for you ? (All centralized location? greater exposure to unique cases? Etc?)
I'm sure it varies by school, but I imagine having a teaching hospital attached to the school provides more opportunity for students to get involved throughout their time in school. Also if you are wanting to specialize, this would give you more time to build relationships with clinicians in that specialty. Teaching hospitals should practice gold star medicine whereas standards and protocols can vary more at outside clinics. Rotations sound busy enough without having to worry about travelling/coordinating arrangements with clinics etc when you could just have most of them at your school (I assume students would have to cover their own travel costs?) Another thing I find strange about schools with no hospital is that many of them have very high tuition rates, higher than many schools that do have a teaching hospital...if I'm going to be giving so much money to a school it would be nice to feel like I was getting the most resources possible from them.

This is all just my personal opinion though. No offense to anyone that attend a school without a teaching hospital 🙂.

I'm sure it varies by school, but I imagine having a teaching hospital attached to the school provides more opportunity for students to get involved throughout their time in school. Also if you are wanting to specialize, this would give you more time to build relationships with clinicians in that specialty. Teaching hospitals should practice gold star medicine whereas standards and protocols can vary more at outside clinics. Rotations sound busy enough without having to worry about travelling/coordinating arrangements with clinics etc when you could just have most of them at your school (I assume students would have to cover their own travel costs?) Another thing I find strange about schools with no hospital is that many of them have very high tuition rates, higher than many schools that do have a teaching hospital...if I'm going to be giving so much money to a school it would be nice to feel like I was getting the most resources possible from them.

This is all just my personal opinion though. No offense to anyone that attend a school without a teaching hospital 🙂.
That is super helpful! Thank you!!

Is there any situation where you would choose to attend a school without a teaching hospital over one with ? (Family location, etc?) I want to compare my thoughts with someone else to justify I’m not just thinking with my heart lol

That is super helpful! Thank you!!

Is there any situation where you would choose to attend a school without a teaching hospital over one with ? (Family location, etc?) I want to compare my thoughts with someone else to justify I’m not just thinking with my heart lol
I would probably consider it if it was located close to family, or if it was significantly cheaper than my other option.