Michigan vs UNT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlklngboy11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I need help trying to decide between certain programs with Michigan vs UNT being the main two programs I am deciding between but also with still some consideration for Columbia, BU, and South Florida so I have been trying to make a pro/con list for the schools. I am interested in Epidemiology with a tilt towards global health and infectious disease epi with a particular interest in vector-borne diseases. I plan on going government or non-profit work and don't have a lot of interest in consulting or pharma. I have visited UNT and Michigan, went to BU for undergrad, and plan on visiting Columbia still and possibly USF.

Main Schools I'm Considering:

University of North Texas Epidemiology:

Pro - COA is 30,082 a year as an in-state student which I am.
Proish - Seems to be a newer program but I think I would have a greater chance of standing out there
Con - Fort Worth is very close to where I am from and I plan on moving out of Texas
Con - There doesn't seem to be much related to public health (it's been very hard for me to find public health related jobs with my undergrad degree in the area) and there is basically nothing in terms of international health besides some refugee-related things.
Con - The worst ranked school of public health

University of Michigan Global Health Epi:
Pro - Seemed like a super strong alumni network, people really loved the school and the epi students seem to get jobs
Pro - Seemed to have really great professors that we very approachable on admitted students day
Pro - Love the requirement for an international health internship and capstone, I believe the school gives me the best chance to work internationally if I decide I want to pursue that.
Pro - Definitely had that feeling of home and "fit" for me
Con - Not so sure about the CDC connections/PHAP connections which is what I want to get into. Might be more research than practice focused.
Con - COA is 62,916 a year as an OOS student with no scholarships, which is the case for me.

I guess the main question I have here is how much will going to UNT limit my chances of getting into the PHAP program or working at the federal/state level instead of for a local health department. My heart is going with Michigan and my head is conflicted on if UNT is a better value on one hand and if it opens enough doors on the other hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still Considering but leaning against:

Boston University Epidemiology:

Pro - Second cheapest school for me, should be around 47,165 a year for me.
Pro - Strong name at a cheaper price than other options
Con - Went here for undergrad and all the connections seem to be east-coast based
Con - Would like a change of scenery for grad school.
Con - Feel like the price isn't cheap enough that I wouldn't have to pursue loan forgiveness anyways

Columbia University Infectious Disease Epi:
Pro - Strongest name
Pro - More of a focus on infectious disease which might be more marketable than global health epi
Con - Not part of the main campus/less of a campus vibe community
Con - Not sure students love going to Columbia instead of love going to an ivy.
Con - Facilities aren't as nice
Con - COA is 66,073

South Florida Communiciable Diseases and Epidemiology:
Pro - Like that it is a dual concentration
Pro - Have family in Florida and am familiar with the area
Con - Its a 73 credit program which drives up the price and the length of time of completion.
Con - Haven't gotten my official acceptance letter, just been recommended for admission.
Con - Not sure of COA attendance until I get my official letter but probably similar to BU price-wise.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on what you've written, it seems like your dilemma is between USF and UMich. UNT doesn't seen to have what you want, so it shouldn't even be on your radar. Better to be 60k in debt with a degree you want than be in no debt but waste two years on a degree you hate. I also get that you don't want to go to BU since you've been there before, and I've never really been impressed with Columbia (too much Ivy League focus).

At this point, the focus should be on where you want to live. Winters in Michigan are cold, and summers in Florida are hot and humid. Which of the two evils would you prefer?

Hello! I need help trying to decide between certain programs with Michigan vs UNT being the main two programs I am deciding between but also with still some consideration for Columbia, BU, and South Florida so I have been trying to make a pro/con list for the schools. I am interested in Epidemiology with a tilt towards global health and infectious disease epi with a particular interest in vector-borne diseases. I plan on going government or non-profit work and don't have a lot of interest in consulting or pharma. I have visited UNT and Michigan, went to BU for undergrad, and plan on visiting Columbia still and possibly USF.

Main Schools I'm Considering:

University of North Texas Epidemiology:

Pro - COA is 30,082 a year as an in-state student which I am.
Proish - Seems to be a newer program but I think I would have a greater chance of standing out there
Con - Fort Worth is very close to where I am from and I plan on moving out of Texas
Con - There doesn't seem to be much related to public health (it's been very hard for me to find public health related jobs with my undergrad degree in the area) and there is basically nothing in terms of international health besides some refugee-related things.
Con - The worst ranked school of public health

University of Michigan Global Health Epi:
Pro - Seemed like a super strong alumni network, people really loved the school and the epi students seem to get jobs
Pro - Seemed to have really great professors that we very approachable on admitted students day
Pro - Love the requirement for an international health internship and capstone, I believe the school gives me the best chance to work internationally if I decide I want to pursue that.
Pro - Definitely had that feeling of home and "fit" for me
Con - Not so sure about the CDC connections/PHAP connections which is what I want to get into. Might be more research than practice focused.
Con - COA is 62,916 a year as an OOS student with no scholarships, which is the case for me.

I guess the main question I have here is how much will going to UNT limit my chances of getting into the PHAP program or working at the federal/state level instead of for a local health department. My heart is going with Michigan and my head is conflicted on if UNT is a better value on one hand and if it opens enough doors on the other hand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still Considering but leaning against:

Boston University Epidemiology:

Pro - Second cheapest school for me, should be around 47,165 a year for me.
Pro - Strong name at a cheaper price than other options
Con - Went here for undergrad and all the connections seem to be east-coast based
Con - Would like a change of scenery for grad school.
Con - Feel like the price isn't cheap enough that I wouldn't have to pursue loan forgiveness anyways

Columbia University Infectious Disease Epi:
Pro - Strongest name
Pro - More of a focus on infectious disease which might be more marketable than global health epi
Con - Not part of the main campus/less of a campus vibe community
Con - Not sure students love going to Columbia instead of love going to an ivy.
Con - Facilities aren't as nice
Con - COA is 66,073

South Florida Communiciable Diseases and Epidemiology:
Pro - Like that it is a dual concentration
Pro - Have family in Florida and am familiar with the area
Con - Its a 73 credit program which drives up the price and the length of time of completion.
Con - Haven't gotten my official acceptance letter, just been recommended for admission.
Con - Not sure of COA attendance until I get my official letter but probably similar to BU price-wise.

Honey I hope I am not too late. DO NOT go to UNT. Please please please - it is a disaster... currently happening. SAVE YOURSELF!