Micro text suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am looking for a micro text with a little more detail than CMMS. Something along the lines of Big Constanzo for physio or "medium" Robbins for path. Something that is readable but not overkill. Is there anything out there like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I too like CMMRS a lot. Also have used "review of medical microbiology and immunology" by Levinson . The micro bit seems like it might have too much detail, but the book comes with a bunch of good practice questions and a nice immunology review.

Members don't see this ad :)
We used Medical Microbiology (by Mims) and it's not too bad. Organized by system, lot of good charts/images/etc...

This year we "sort of" switched to Problem Based Microbiology (Nath). It's more condensed but more of a review book. Still organized by system but each "bug" is talked about in the context of a case.

I also had to use CMMRS to get through micro. I think mainly 'cause I just don't memorize that well and needed a book that was organized differently (by organism group).

Anway, that's how I had to approach micro. Read about the system and what's typical, more common, etc... Then went to CMMRS to learn about specific bugs and how they fit into their family/species. We also use the big Robbins Path text and used it to fill in more details.

I liked CMMRS, but sometimes thought it was lacking in detail (or contained random facts). I think the Lippincott Micro text is fabulous if you're looking for a good book that's well organized and has enough details to help you understand the subject. :thumbup:

I used the Lange book alongside CMMRS when I needed extra info. It also had great board questions at the end of the book that I used to study. CMMRS is all you really need for boards, but the lange book has the detailed explanations that may help some of the info sink in for you.

Do not buy CMMRS. If someone offers CMMRS to you for free, say no. If someone will PAY you to take their copy of CMMRS, pocket the cash and throw the book in the trashbin.

I swear, CMMRS is far and away the worst book I have encountered in medical school. The book is horribly organized and was basically written by someone with the same sense of humor as a pre-pubescent 5th grader. The jokes are not funny, the mnemonics are not memorable, and the charts are only helpful as a quick reference - not as a way to learn. Half of the written material is pretty much trying to explain the reasons you should memorize their crappy drawing or mnemonic without actually explaining the science behind it.

I give the book 0 stars. Seriously, I was never in support of book-burning until I read this piece of garbage.

... Try some form of microbiology cards instead, and use your course and lecture materials to generate your own study aids. I'm serious.

Do not buy CMMRS. If someone offers CMMRS to you for free, say no. If someone will PAY you to take their copy of CMMRS, pocket the cash and throw the book in the trashbin.

I swear, CMMRS is far and away the worst book I have encountered in medical school. The book is horribly organized and was basically written by someone with the same sense of humor as a pre-pubescent 5th grader. The jokes are not funny, the mnemonics are not memorable, and the charts are only helpful as a quick reference - not as a way to learn. Half of the written material is pretty much trying to explain the reasons you should memorize their crappy drawing or mnemonic without actually explaining the science behind it.

I give the book 0 stars. Seriously, I was never in support of book-burning until I read this piece of garbage.

... Try some form of microbiology cards instead, and use your course and lecture materials to generate your own study aids. I'm serious.

what sort of cards would you recommend?

what sort of cards would you recommend?

Microcards were great. Lots of detail, but after 1 time thru the set, you'll get an idea of what stuff you want to read again, and what stuff is not as important.

Regardless of what source you use, the key to Micro is to be able to group stuff into categories. Memorize relationships, similarities, etc. Repetition is key. Learn the corresponding pharmacology related to the infectious diseases as you go thru them as well.

Was it written by that gentleman you have as your avatar?

I liked CMMRS, but sometimes thought it was lacking in detail (or contained random facts). I think the Lippincott Micro text is fabulous if you're looking for a good book that's well organized and has enough details to help you understand the subject. :thumbup:

This sounds like what I'm looking for. I really like their biochem and pharm books.

I can also vouch for the Microcards. They are a great review.

im using CMMRS and i love it. It is well organized and present the material very clearly and the charts at the end of chapters summarize things wonderfully. I have pretty much used that book and class notes for the little professor specific details the each professor likes and did very well on our first exam. Its a great book.

I think Rapid Review Microbiology is a great text. It's good to have for lecture, but is concise enough to make it useful for Step 1 review.

Not actually a text, but try the Kaplan Video + Lecture Notes for Microbio. Sometimes its nice just to have someone lecture to you instead of reading all the details yourself. CMMRS gives you some great ways to remember bugs, but it does leave out details here and there. I read CMMRS to get the big picture and then used Kaplan to fill in holes. It worked out very well because after reading one book the last thing you want to do is read another so watching lectures was a welcomed alternative.

It depends how your course is organized. If it is organ-based, CMMRS is going to be a pain. Though I still liked it as another source.

Mims was good and helped you to actually understand the diseases and underlying causes.

I also read BRS, but that is mainly for memorizing the things and for recall.

i have microbio this upcoming spring semester and ive been doing some research on books. what are these CMMR books everyone is talking about? im looking at our list of required books and i dont recognize anything on the list that resembles CMMR.

i have microbio this upcoming spring semester and ive been doing some research on books. what are these CMMR books everyone is talking about? im looking at our list of required books and i dont recognize anything on the list that resembles CMMR.

Clinical Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple

The book peeps in my class also used rapid review micro and lippincotts micro. I'm not a book type so I can't vouch for their usefulness.