micro vs cell bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
which did you prefer? in uic you can either take one or the other. debating..... :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

i've taken both and in my opinion micro is easier, but somewhat less relevant to humans (it is all about bacteria) however since bacteria can play a few important roles in humans (including in the dental arena) it isn't completely useless. cell bio at my school is pretty tough but at least you are learning predominantly about eukaryotes. overall i enjoyed micro more.

I also took both. I believe you will use micro more since we all have to take this course during d-school... if you take it now, it won't be so bad when you take it again and you may have a slight advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
The microbiology course you'll have in dental school is tougher than any coursework related to cell biology. So getting some micro experience under your belt would probably save more studying time down the road. Of course that's JMO...YMMV.

ToothMonkey said:
The microbiology course you'll have in dental school is tougher than any coursework related to cell biology. So getting some micro experience under your belt would probably save more studying time down the road. Of course that's JMO...YMMV.

i also had to take both, i think micro is more useful cell bio goes into way too much detail, micro is also a lot easier...

micro by far; if anything, it'll improve your general hygiene

tam0026 said:
micro by far; if anything, it'll improve your general hygiene

or make you an excessively paranoid, lysol-carrying, OCD cleaner... They're everywhere. And they're out to get you. :laugh:

Tzips said:
or make you an excessively paranoid, lysol-carrying, OCD cleaner... They're everywhere. And they're out to get you. :laugh:
Yeah......that would be me :p

futuredentist23 said:
which did you prefer? in uic you can either take one or the other. debating..... :idea:

I took both and both are/can be challenging courses. I think that you might get a bit more practical information in micro that you can apply to your knowledge of oral health and its fauna than cell biology, which is filled with lot's of painful, little details.