micro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr. deez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any good sources for micro out there?

Members don't see this ad.

PINK Lange book (Levinson's the author, I think)... not the blue one.
Micro MRS
Microcards
High Yield if you're pressed for time.

Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
Micro Cards (worked great to review right before a test)

Members don't see this ad :)
i used made simple and it served me well in the class.
if i were to start over i might use the kaplan book instead. i'm not one of those ppl who think that kap is the greatest everything ever, but the micro book has a really good chapter on infectious dz and another on comparative micro. plus it has a good immuno section.
if you can't get your hands on one i'd say if you really like mnuemonics- made simple. if you're looking for really like detailed explanations- lange clinical micro and immno by jaevitz (sp?). good luck. very interesting subject and very high yield for boards. don't neglect drugs for beating bugs.

Just another data point (agreeing with what has been posted so far...)

- MicroCards absolutely rock - they have the bug, clinical vignette, drawing, clinical features, diagnosis, tests, treatment, and little summary memory triggers (e.g., most common causes of meningitis for infants - 6mo.) And perhaps highest-yield, they have cards with the taxonomy of DNA/RNA viruses, gram +/- bacteria, protozoa, etc.
- Micro Made Ridiculously simple
- Kaplan lecture notes Micro/Immuno book
- Kuby Immunology (if you're including immuno) - great diagrams, although it's sufficiently detailed that I imagine it's much better for class than for board review.

Just took the Micro shelf exam, and having studied with those resources I felt really good about it unlike most of the shelf exams where I've come out with my head spinning. 'course, who knows what my actual grade was, but doggone it I felt good!