Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Microbio or Physiology, Which is More Important?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by premed21, May 29, 2008.

1. premed21

Medical Student
    I was wondering which class is more important in preparing someone for the MCAT: Microbiology or Physiology? Are there more Microbio questions or physiology questions on the MCAT generally? If I can take either one or the other, which one should I take?

Thanks in advance

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. endocardium

Post Doc
    Physiology by a landslide; there were lots of physio questions in BS, if I recall correctly. I remember a micro question, or two, but you can easily learn all the micro you need through a simple MCAT review book, or something of the sort. Don't neglect your physiology, however. Really know it.

4. bluemonkey

Medical Student
    Physio without a doubt.

5. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I would say that most of the microbiology you would need to know for the MCAT was probably covered in your BIO 101 class. Take the physio.

6. premed21

Medical Student
    Thanks a lot for the replies.

I have two semesters left before I take the mcat, so I will most likely take both of these classes. Because I am preparing for the MCAT this summer and will apply to med schools next summer, I want to be prepared as early as possible with the most relevant material so I can review these sufficiently before I take the MCAT. Thus, I will probably take physiology this fall, and micro next spring. This way, I will have time to review what I learned in physiology as I am further preparing for the MCAT.

7. mterp45

mterp45 Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    physiology is more important than micro but have you taken genetics? genetics is also more important than micro. Most genetics classes cover bacterial genetics which is probably the most tested subject of microbiology. In fact, I am going to say this year, genetics has been more important than physiology.

8. What up doc

What up doc FLASH

Resident [Any Field]
    physio w/ out a doubt...but most def take genetics...i feel like most of micro can be easily reviewd on ur own or is already covered in a gen bio/genetics course...genetics however prepares you the best for the bs section imho