Microbiology fun

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many bugs can you see? I am not including bacteria...

This is a patient status post bone marrow transplant with a problem fighting off infections...

This is not hard if you have seen either one of them before, but it's cool.

7d04a81b.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

dude it's frickin' past midnight. and you start this thread? c'mon man. at least say poo.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :laugh:

That's like when I was signing out neuropath and the attending saw a little papillomatous growth in the meninges and said "Oh look, tits!" I am totally serious.

yaah said:
:laugh: :laugh:

That's like when I was signing out neuropath and the attending saw a little papillomatous growth in the meninges and said "Oh look, tits!" I am totally serious.
dude i'm gonna be an awesome pathologist. i spotted that sh1t in seconds.

Crap, that's all I can see in it now. Can't believe I didn't notice. :laugh:

Well, I'm going to bed, and in case anyone cares, the cells with the bright red nuclei are actually CMV infected. Pretty kewl. The immunostains are also pretty kewl. And the fungus is aspergillus although you can't necessarily tell that (I think) from this view.

beary said:
For once in my life I am speechless.
you just said something.

look, i had a lot to drink tonight. then when i got home, i realized that i had no water or any other non-alcoholic beverage. i also realized that i was thirsty. so i had to open up a newcastle.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
You don't have a water faucet? This isn't Mexico City, for crying out loud. I think you'll survive.
i don't drink tap water. live first class to be first class, remember?

ok my first desecration of the image was quite gratuitous. i apologize. i think this is better.

7d04a81bd.jpg

you know what yaah, microbiology is FUN! maybe i'll end up doing AP/CP after all :laugh:

I should try sneaking that into my thursday presentation and see if anyone notices. That would be a riot.

yaah said:
I should try sneaking that into my thursday presentation and see if anyone notices. That would be a riot.
totally dude, i bet appelman would laugh his ass off. i remember doing a presentation on pheochromocytoma. apparently, there are ectopic sites where pheos can appear...like the SCROTUM! i remember saying in my presentation, "i wonder how a scrotal pheochromocytoma would present? you scratch your balls and you get a headache."

bananaface said:
You could do it if you left out the smiley face of CMV infected nuclei.
but that's the beauty of the picture. people would totally believe it! i mean poo bodies in the formation of a smiley face! priceless!

AndyMilonakis said:
but that's the beauty of the picture. people would totally believe it! i mean poo bodies in the formation of a smiley face! priceless!
Perhaps I am a pessimist. Would you believe I busted "Santa Claus" at age 3 and "the Tooth Fairy" at age 7? I could never catch "the Easter Bunny" though.

I was petrified of the Easter Bunny. :scared:

You know those giant mutant rabbits you see at the mall? I didn't want that in my house. I would cry and couldn't sleep the night before Easter so finally my folks told me the truth.

Actually to this day I still do not really like bunnies. There is a huge rabbit that lives around here that comes up on my porch and stares in through my sliding glass door (I'm serious). It is creepy.

microbiology is fun.

banana, you were a fetus 10 years ago so hence this happened 7 years ago when you busted santa?

AndyMilonakis said:
I am afraid that is the first thing I saw too. :oops:
Thought it might be a parasitic worm of some sort :D

Bright red nuclei? Are we talking about the same thing? I thought the spots were orange, and there were only two bright red unidentified objects (1 and 8 o'clock).

deschutes said:
I am afraid that is the first thing I saw too. :oops:
Thought it might be a parasitic worm of some sort :D

Bright red nuclei? Are we talking about the same thing? I thought the spots were orange, and there were only two bright red unidentified objects (1 and 8 o'clock).

see? deschutes is gonna be a l33t pathologist!

One of the CMV cells is just at about 10:00 to Andy's circle. The better one is near the top of the picture towards right of center. The yellow/brown blobs are something else. Could be iron, could be artifact of fixation.

yaah said:
One of the CMV cells is just at about 10:00 to Andy's circle. The better one is near the top of the picture towards right of center. The yellow/brown blobs are something else. Could be iron, could be artifact of fixation.
hemosiderin or poo...thank you.

deschutes, i have mad photoshop skillz.

yaah said:
Excellent. So we are talking about the same thing.

All the obscene objects are then aspergillus?

I believe so. Unless he had two different fungi growing. Basically though, every slide of the autopsy has angioinvasive aspergillus.

beary said:
I was petrified of the Easter Bunny. :scared: I would cry and couldn't sleep the night before Easter so finally my folks told me the truth.
I would cry when I had to sit in Santa's lap... :oops: And he wasn't even a real Santa, just an Asian guy with lots of white fake hair mixed in with the black.

yaah said:
I believe so. Unless he had two different fungi growing. Basically though, every slide of the autopsy has angioinvasive aspergillus.
I have difficulty picking out the "angio" part of angioinvasive. The slide looks a mess. If you can imagine it in black and white you'll have my conception of EM ultrastructure.

AndyMilonakis said:
ok my first desecration of the image was quite gratuitous. i apologize. i think this is better.

7d04a81bd.jpg

you know what yaah, microbiology is FUN! maybe i'll end up doing AP/CP after all :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

deschutes said:
I have difficulty picking out the "angio" part of angioinvasive. The slide looks a mess. If you can imagine it in black and white you'll have my conception of EM ultrastructure.

The slide is a mess. That's after it has invaded through the vessel and into the tissue which is not only being destroyed by bugs but by the post mortem interval. It's basically just debris at this point.