Microbiology-would it be helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwindo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanna check with you guys who are already in Pharm School. Would taking Microbiology before going to Pharm School be helpful? The schools I applied to don't require that class, but I was thinking about taking it to help me for the real deal. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

cwindo said:
Hi all,

Just wanna check with you guys who are already in Pharm School. Would taking Microbiology before going to Pharm School be helpful? The schools I applied to don't require that class, but I was thinking about taking it to help me for the real deal. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!! :)

Yes, it is very helpful. UF has a medical microbiology course during the 1st year of school which just rushes through everything. Having taken micro let me get an A without much effort. During year 2, we have "bugs and drugs" also known as infectious disease. If you already know what bacteria causes what disease then you only need to learn the drugs. I also did will in this section which I put down to having had micro in college.

Not to mention that microbiology is a cool class in general. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Micro was one of my absolute favorite classes. It helped that I had a great teacher, but the material alone was really interesting. I definitely recommend taking it if you have the time.

I agree with everyone else. It would definitely be helpful, especially once you start on antibiotics.

Microbiology was my second favorite class after Physiology. I really enjoyed the labs ..... Oh look they conjugated!!! :laugh:

Smilescali said:
Microbiology was my second favorite class after Physiology. I really enjoyed the labs ..... Oh look they conjugated!!! :laugh:

Sex pilus...tee hee hee :p

Smilescali said:

Genetics lab was even more fun. You got to splice their DNA before they conjugated. Then you can say, "Oh look, I created a multi-antibiotic resistant bacteria"