Microscope camera for live imaging?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Autopsy Sweet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have a multi-headed scope in our conference room which also has an Olympus camera that feeds to two TVs for those not seated at the scope. We have been having some blue-screen issues with the camera (mainly when the objectives are changed too quickly), and we would like to increase the field of view that is projected to the TV. Currently, we only see approximately 1/3 rd of what is seen by those sitting at the scope. We have been told that there isn't much we can do about either issue, but I want to investigate this further. One of my fellow residents says that he has seen other institutions use a regular digital camera (like a Canon or a Nikon) for the live feed, although he can't recall the exact set-up. Given that we're being quoted upwards of $10,000 to replace the system, we would like to consider cheaper alternatives.

What system do you use/have you seen used, and are you pleased with the results?

Members don't see this ad.

We have a multi-headed scope in our conference room which also has an Olympus camera that feeds to two TVs for those not seated at the scope. We have been having some blue-screen issues with the camera (mainly when the objectives are changed too quickly), and we would like to increase the field of view that is projected to the TV. Currently, we only see approximately 1/3 rd of what is seen by those sitting at the scope. We have been told that there isn't much we can do about either issue, but I want to investigate this further. One of my fellow residents says that he has seen other institutions use a regular digital camera (like a Canon or a Nikon) for the live feed, although he can't recall the exact set-up. Given that we're being quoted upwards of $10,000 to replace the system, we would like to consider cheaper alternatives.

What system do you use/have you seen used, and are you pleased with the results?

We were just demoing a system today. It was a Canon EOS Rebel T1 with a T-mount adapter that had an attachment that literally slotted into an ocular spot on the microscope. Our purpose is mostly static images, so we were focused on capturing these from the Canon software you install on your laptop (connected to camera via usb). The camera also had an HDMI output which you could send directly out to a large TV.

They quoted us at $2000 for the camera + adapter + accessories. Geocities-esque website

They also mentioned that you can get HD video cameras that output 1080p at a high frame rate which apparently looks great (unsure on price). Probably something like this: link

They also mentioned that you can get HD video cameras that output 1080p at a high frame rate which apparently looks great (unsure on price). Probably something like this: link

I have seen that exact system in use - it can't be beat for the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen that exact system in use - it can't be beat for the price.
And how did it look? Were the images clear or grainy? Was there any delay in viewing? Also, do you have any idea what the field of view was (rough estimate, 1/3rd, half, etc)?

That's a really good price....seems too good to be true!

$10k is ridiculous. Im in the market now also for a system I can quickly snap images and port to my laptop for research/papers, teaching, tumor boards, etc. and with S-video live capability it should def not cost you more than $4-5k. At that price the stuff I have seen even comes with fancy integral software that you can digitally measure things with little bars and arrows like the radiologists, and they come configured to paste images into your reports depending on what sign-out system your reports are in.

And how did it look? Were the images clear or grainy? Was there any delay in viewing? Also, do you have any idea what the field of view was (rough estimate, 1/3rd, half, etc)?

That's a really good price....seems too good to be true!

The picture was great. It seems like crazy talk, but the picture was actually better than looking through the oculars of the multi-headed scope. You use a 1080p camera with a direct feed to a 1080p monitor - absolutely no delay. The system I used projected about 90% of the microscope field of view to the monitor. That company (Martin Microscopes) basically sells the interface between a consumer-grade camera and the microscope.