MICU rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cristagali

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear I will have to read films everyday during rounds!! Someone please give a quick rundown on how to "sound" like a radiologist reading a chest film!! Thanks! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Come on guys..can't be that hard? :D

Just make sure you have an organizied search pattern, and comment on normal and abnormal as you go. Everybody has a differenct search pattern, but make sure that yours covers the ENTIRE film. Even if you miss something, you will impress with that kind of approach - just dont miss the bowling ball in the chest and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean...how do I describe the diaphragm.."right hemidiaphragm border is sharp, costaphrenic gutter (angle) clear, etc.etc... By the way, I'll use the ABCDEFGHI approach. :D

Don't go too much into describing normals, keep it to the pertinent issues:
- ET tube position
- NG/OG tube position
- chest tubes/mediastinal drains
- pneumothorax yes/no
- lobar collapse ?
- briefly compare to last prior.

In the MICU, most chests will look like c$(), nobody cares about that subtle density at the left base which could......

Don't try to hunt down small effusions on the half-erect portable films.

Ok, thanks. I'm using wolf files, which are great, but they don't "read" the x-ray, but I'm FP bound so who cares right? Thanks for the input.