Mid/Low tiers with great match results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckoh24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its known that the top tier schools tend to match pretty well because of name recognition, the type of students it accepts (tend to be extremely hard working which helps with STEP performance), connections through the school, etc. What schools that aren't in the top 25 are known to pretty consistently place near 100% of students and which tend to have a decent % that make it into top residency spots/ #1 choice? Does proximity play a role at all? IE schools like drexel/jefferson/temple matching a lot at UPenn

Members don't see this ad.

every single school MD school in the country will have a match rate very close to 100%.

I can't speak for individual schools. Also, it's not obvious what you mean by "match well". That could mean a lot of different things. Does it mean that most students fulfill the school's stated mission of serving X area or fulfilling Y need? Does it mean >50% of the class matches ROADs? Does it mean everyone matches into a top academic/research residency in their specialty of choice? Does it mean the class matches predominantly in desirable locations...etc

Reactions: 3 users
I believe that schools that are located in a particular region have an easier time matching in that region. With that being said, I definitely wouldn't make your school list based solely on match lists because there are too many variables. A better thing to look at would be each schools average STEP I score, if there is even somewhere to find that information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that schools that are located in a particular region have an easier time matching in that region. With that being said, I definitely wouldn't make your school list based solely on match lists because there are too many variables. A better thing to look at would be each schools average STEP I score, if there is even somewhere to find that information.

We have several graphs with Step 1 averages of most US MD schools on there floating around on this site. It's not particularly useful either, it's not clear what's really being measured, the school or the students it accepts and also it relies on non-primary sources of info.

Its known that the top tier schools tend to match pretty well because of name recognition, the type of students it accepts (tend to be extremely hard working which helps with STEP performance), connections through the school, etc. What schools that aren't in the top 25 are known to pretty consistently place near 100% of students and which tend to have a decent % that make it into top residency spots/ #1 choice? Does proximity play a role at all? IE schools like drexel/jefferson/temple matching a lot at UPenn
Trying to interpret match results is like trying to interpret one of these:
tealeafreading1.jpg

If you get your top picks of residency, then it's a good match, even if it's at Joe's Rib Shack and Hospital.

Reactions: 4 users