Mid Term Elections- Lessons Learned

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting the author needs to exchange personal info and get acquainted with “an old friend” and returns to the Bible after all that. Seems like a disingenuous reply.
Disingenuous or not, I hope you got the point….We can be totally misled if we only listen to one side. And it doesn’t count as listening to both sides if it is the same side telling you what the other side says.

PS- nimbus seems thoughtful and likely avoids echo chambers. I just think we all fall prey to it. I would be astounded if the actual answer is 12. And I’m also surprised that I know less than half the names on that list.

Reactions: 1 user
I am surprised by some of the responses. Most people I know like Desantis way more than trump. He seems more well spoken while still speaking truth. He pushes back against “woke” (sorry- I know some dislike the word) with common sense replies that resonates with the common man.

I’m also puzzled why people think trump would win a debate so easily. I have never seen Desantis debate so I have no idea. But he doesn’t seem like he would get frazzled by trump.

That first poll seemed wayyyy off to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Desantis is a more well spoken and less bombastic version of trump with the same horrible ideas.
Shaking my head at physicians who want an open homophobe and science/ covid denialist like Desantis.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Desantis is a more well spoken and less bombastic version of trump with the same horrible ideas.
Shaking my head at physicians who want an open homophobe and science/ covid denialist like Desantis.
And I'm shaking my head at doctors who have zero doubts about new technology, such as mRNA vaccines. Does thalidomide ring a bell?

And why is DeSantis a homophobe? Because he thinks that sexual education has no place in schools before the 3rd grade? Feel free to educate your own kids about whatever you want, just don't impose your views on other people's children.

The State has no business in brainwashing children. What's next, teaching them that certain races are good and others are bad? Oh wait, it's already doing that.

P.S.
I've been vaccinated with a ton of vaccines in my life, including the Pfizer ones for Covid. That doesn't mean I will just put aside all skepticism, because the Party says so. One cannot be a scientist and not have a healthy dose of skepticism about EVERYTHING.

And I couldn't care less about DeSantis. All I want is somebody to dethrone Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
And I'm shaking my head at doctors who have zero doubts about new technology, such as mRNA vaccines. Does thalidomide ring a bell?

And why is DeSantis a homophobe? Because he thinks that sexual education has no place in schools before the 3rd grade? Feel free to educate your own kids about whatever you want, just don't impose your views on other people's children.

The State has no business in brainwashing children. What's next, teaching them that certain races are good and others are bad? Oh wait, it's already doing that.
It ain't that we don't have zero doubts, we just don't believe that "a reckoning" is coming, that at some point down the line, we will be marked by the beast, or that somehow, 50 years from now, we will all be tortured by cancers and extra arms and whatever the hell else all the antivax people are spouting off. Like it's been almost 2 years I think since the vaccine came out...over 13 billion doses. Like at this point, just what the **** do the antivax people or even you FFP think is gonna happen? Everyone is suddenly going to slowly be getting myocarditis and die? All vaccinated male sperm will be swimming in circles or producing abnormal human babies? I have doubts about the vaccines effectiveness long term, but I am not scared of any potential side effects.

It ain't that we don't have zero doubts, we just don't believe that "a reckoning" is coming, that at some point down the line, we will be marked by the beast, or that somehow, 50 years from now, we will all be tortured by cancers and extra arms and whatever the hell else all the antivax people are spouting off. Like it's been almost 2 years I think since the vaccine came out...over 13 billion doses. Like at this point, just what the **** do the antivax people or even you FFP think is gonna happen? Everyone is suddenly going to slowly be getting myocarditis and die? All vaccinated male sperm will be swimming in circles or producing abnormal human babies? I have doubts about the vaccines effectiveness long term, but I am not scared of any potential side effects.
Cancers, immune diseases. Stuff one doesn't see immediately, just after years. I stopped getting vaccinated blindly after 3 doses. I will get a dose before I visit my elderly parents.

I am definitely not a fan of new treatments, unless the benefits exceed the risks. There is a lot of hysteria about Covid. In my blue state, there hasn't been significant Covid for a year or more, due to the high rate of vaccinations with the first two doses, and to newer strains being milder.

We used to kill people with high-dose Aspirin during the Spanish flu. Back then, that was the miracle drug. It's never bad to have a dose of skepticism and take a step back. I'm not talking about anti-vaxxing, just about having a good dose of doubt about what the State and Big Pharma say about anything. Both are known to lie, if needed, because they are left unpunished.

If vaccines are so safe, why do we have laws exempting Big Pharma from liability?

P.S.
I've been vaccinated with a ton of vaccines in my life, including the Pfizer ones for Covid. That doesn't mean I will just put aside all skepticism, because the Party says so. One cannot be a scientist and not have a healthy dose of skepticism about EVERYTHING.

And I couldn't care less about DeSantis. All I want is somebody to dethrone Trump.
If you think teaching kids that gay people exist and should be treated with basic humanity is “brainwashing” I don’t know what to say. The “grooming” boogeyman is a very old homophobic trope that we are all tired of hearing and thinly veiled bigotry at best.
I find it hilarious all the former Trump voters flocking to him. These are once again people who voted for a guy that was caught on tape saying he sexually assaults women because he can get away with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
If you think teaching kids that gay people exist and should be treated with basic humanity is “brainwashing” I don’t know what to day. The “grooming” boogeyman is a very old homophobic trope that we are all tired of hearing and thinly veiled bigotry at best.
We should teach kids to treat everybody with humanity. Then, at the right age, we can talk to them about sex, in a scientific fashion (e.g. gender dysphoria is a mental disorder treated in children with kindness, acceptance, psychiatric help etc., not surgery and puberty blockers).

mrna vaccines out for 15 years. Huge sample size. Almost all vaccine adverse effects seem in first 30 days following vaccines. Huge sample size now.
Desantis loves playing into the anti intellectualism of the Trump movement. What do doctors know? Get all their health information from 4chain and tucker carlson.

We should teach kids to treat everybody with humanity. Then, at the right age, we can talk to them about sex.
Please show me a single example of explicit sex ed at an inappropriate age. You can talk about gay people without explicitly mentioning sex.

Please show me a single example of explicit sex ed at an inappropriate age. You can talk about gay people without explicitly mentioning sex.
The problem is that, with the current generations, we're putting ideas into young brains, and then "celebrating" them for being anything but cisgender and heterosexual. Hence the current non-binary and transgender epidemic among adolescents, which should be as concerning as any public health crisis, including the mental health epidemic of generations Y and Z.

The later we expose these kids to these ideas, the less we celebrate them for being different, the higher the likelihood that those who come out are truly transgender and non-binary. There are "educators" trying to make every tomboy girl into a trans male or lesbian, and every sensitive boy into a trans female or gay male, in the name of "acceptance" and radical left ideas.

Btw, celebrating somebody for not being a cisgender heterosexual is completely bigoted and prejudiced against cis hetero people. Everybody should be accepted for what they are, nobody should be celebrated for their gender or sexual orientation.

And, again, nobody stops the parents from educating their kid the "right" way. They are just stopping Marxist educators from brainwashing the kids before the parents had a chance to talk to them. Little kids tend to be blind to differences (e.g. race, which should stare them in the face, and yet...), and way more accepting than adults, until the adults "educate" them.

Ahhh yes the belief that certain lgbtq demographics didn’t exist 20 years ago. Have you ever thought that they were always there but had to hide who they were because of how many ignorant people there are?

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh yes the belief that certain lgbtq demographics didn’t exist 20 years ago. Have you ever thought that they were always there but had to hide who they were because of how many ignorant people there are?
Transgender dysphoria doesn't happen at puberty. Those kids start protesting at young age.

But, hey, let's just call people ignorant because they don't agree that mental health problems should be treated with surgery.

We should be accepting all LGBTQ+ kids, and help them with kindness as much as we can, and then, when their prefrontal lobes mature (which is actually way after 18), they can make their own decisions about how they want to live their lives. They! Not society, not their peers or friends, not the mob, not the State, not the doctors, not the educators. And definitely not people who want to irreversibly change their bodies.

Ahhh yes construing tansgender people as mentally ill. Cool beans. Will let your statement speak for itself. Leaving this back and fourth convo here. We all know what we need to know about your beliefs here.

• Haha
mrna vaccines out for 15 years. Huge sample size. Almost all vaccine adverse effects seem in first 30 days following vaccines. Huge sample size now.
Desantis loves playing into the anti intellectualism of the Trump movement. What do doctors know? Get all their health information from 4chain and tucker carlson.
This technology has been used on a wide scale only for 2 years, for Covid. Not 15. The first mRNA vaccines were used for Ebola, on a much smaller scale.

I will repeat my question: if mRNA vaccines are so benign, why are their makers legally exempt from liability? Why are the doubters censored, even punished in some countries?

This was after a 30 second search:

Never fault people for being skeptical. Fault them for being credulous sheep. The patriotic duty of every citizen is to not trust the government.

The delivery system ie the mrna vaccine is actually 15 years old. The covid target on the delivery system is 2 years old. Even before covid was the target, it already had a clinical trial n value of 15k.
Obviously 4chan doesn’t give you a lot of peer reviewed research.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
The delivery system ie the mrna vaccine is actually 15 years old. The covid target on the delivery system is 2 years old. Even before covid was the target, it already had a clinical trial n value of 15k.
Very substantive responses.

Obviously your last refuge is insulting people.

Ahhh yes construing tansgender people as mentally ill. Cool beans. Will let your statement speak for itself. Leaving this back and fourth convo here. We all know what we need to know about your beliefs here.
1671134122046.png
1671133839702.png

If only the government could have foreseen that something was amiss and maybe this person should not have received the highest level of security clearance and placed in charge of nuclear energy issues. How could they have known that things would go terribly wrong? The Biden administration gets a pass because no one could have foreseen this. I wonder if Sam ever stole the Admiral's luggage. Based on the Admiral's fashion sense, I am going to guess not.

View attachment 363400View attachment 363399
If only the government could have foreseen that something was amiss and maybe this person should not have received the highest level of security clearance and placed in charge of nuclear energy issues. How could they have known that things would go terribly wrong? The Biden administration gets a pass because no one could have foreseen this. I wonder if Sam ever stole the Admiral's luggage. Based on the Admiral's fashion sense, I am going to guess not.
Brave and beautiful, you bigot.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more sick of a political discussion on this forum in 15 years+. People talking past each other, almost assuredly knowing it, and continuing on. No acknowledgment of confirmation bias by either side. Usage of anecdote as if it should implement policy for hundreds of millions. Letting political belief interfere with how we should treat one another as humans. Every time I check on this and the Twitter thread I get a headache. This is the worst of us and I’m out.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

I am not the one who lets their biases deny science and reality.

The American Psychiatric Association permits a diagnosis of gender dysphoria in adolescents or adults if two or more of the following criteria are experienced for at least six months' duration:[25]
  • A strong desire to be of a gender other than one's assigned gender
  • A strong desire to be treated as a gender other than one's assigned gender
  • A significant incongruence between one's experienced or expressed gender and one's sexual characteristics
  • A strong desire for the sexual characteristics of a gender other than one's assigned gender
  • A strong desire to be rid of one's sexual characteristics due to incongruence with one's experienced or expressed gender
  • A strong conviction that one has the typical reactions and feelings of a gender other than one's assigned gender
In addition, the condition must be associated with clinically significant distress or impairment.[25]
You should know more psych than I do, given that you're EM. 😉

Yes, my beliefs are that we should not use puberty blockers and cut off kids' penises and breasts and uteri, because they have gender dysphoria at puberty (especially girls). Let's see how liberal you'll be when somebody does those to your minor kids, especially without your consent.

As far as I am concerned, adults can do whatever they want with their bodies. I just feel sorry for them, and for anybody who's not happy being the way they are. All young people are beautiful, they just don't know it. Youth is wasted on the young.

I don’t think I’ve ever been more sick of a political discussion on this forum in 15 years+. People talking past each other, almost assuredly knowing it, and continuing on. No acknowledgment of confirmation bias by either side. Usage of anecdote as if it should implement policy for hundreds of millions. Letting political belief interfere with how we should treat one another as humans. Every time I check on this and the Twitter thread I get a headache. This is the worst of us and I’m out.
1671135524046.png

I mean, you're right about the sick part. Gross looks and ethics. But it's n=1 so it's fine.

My guess is that, in real life, most of us are kind to and there for all of our patients, even the "bigoted" doctors.

In the end, most of us practice medicine to help people (and some of us even animals) to the best of our abilities. Suffering doesn't have skin color, gender, sexual orientation etc.

On the other hand, I completely understand, @Southpaw. I have put up my account for deletion at least 3 times in the last month (it takes a week), and the only reason I'm still here is because somebody I really like posted in the meanwhile or liked my posts. But, every time, I'm inching closer to be really done with this forum, and I probably won't have a user by the time 2023 arrives.

When I left last year, it was the best thing I had done for a long time, and I strongly advise anybody who's fed up with the partisan BS to do the same.

• Hmm
I agree. Recognizing the issues you noted is the first step.

I agree that there is willful ignorance of the points being made and lack of an intelligent reply. I also find this back and forth distasteful. But this back and forth had one side presenting genuine thoughts and ideas. The other side had attacks, personal insults and strawman after strawman with blatant mischaracterization. Agree or disagree on the issues, but one side argued in earnest and the other had infantile attacks (a la Trump). I assume 95% of the liberals are not like the person above and would not want him as representation of their ideas.

I googled 4chan and still have no idea why it is an insult....and I am fine with not knowing

I agree that there is willful ignorance of the points being made and lack of an intelligent reply. I also find this back and forth distasteful. But this back and forth had one side presenting genuine thoughts and ideas. The other side had attacks, personal insults and strawman after strawman with blatant mischaracterization. Agree or disagree on the issues, but one side argued in earnest and the other had infantile attacks (a la Trump). I assume 95% of the liberals are not like the person above and would not want him as representation of their ideas.

I googled 4chan and still have no idea why it is an insult....and I am fine with not knowing
Users of 4chan are lumped in with incels. It has a range of info on the site ranging from risque to horrific speech such as racism. So if someone says you use 4chan then they think you're an idiot and on the fringes of society.

Users of 4chan are lumped in with incels. It has a range of info on the site ranging from risque to horrific speech such as racism. So if someone says you use 4chan then they think you're an idiot and on the fringes of society.
Funny that the accuser knows all about 4chan but the one he is trying to insult with it does not know what it is. Makes me think that the attempted insult was a bit revealing about who is actually on 4chan.

Funny that the accuser knows all about 4chan but the one he is trying to insult with it does not know what it is. Makes me think that the attempted insult was a bit revealing about who is actually on 4chan.
Echo chamber. Four feet good, two feet bad! They repeat what they hear, without any processing, like any good sheep.

Gas forum political discussions. Nowhere in the universe will you find a larger collection of open transphobia and villainy.

Gas forum political discussions. Nowhere in the universe will you find a larger collection of open transphobia and villainy.
Who here is scared of trans people? I haven't seen any women in this thread...

There are "educators" trying to make every tomboy girl into a trans male or lesbian, and every sensitive boy into a trans female or gay male, in the name of "acceptance" and radical left ideas.
As usual, right-wing scare tactics.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.