1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

mid tier psychiatry programs?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Cloud805, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Cloud805

This is a strange question but I have stats on the low side. I should probably shoot for mid-tier Psych programs but quite honestly it's hard to know which ones are mid-tier since most of what i've been fed as been about top tier programs. Any help? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would think most programs that get talked about here are mid-tier. Also, don't forget that your AMD counts for something even with low scores. I'd focus more on where you want to live and look for programs that aren't the very best (Harvard except for South Shore, UCSF, etc) and aren't the very worst (few to no US grads, limited dedication to didactics). There are so many programs in this group that it would be impossible to list without knowing more of where you might want to be.

4. st2205

st2205 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you've never heard of the program it's low tier. If you've hear the name of the institution used in society or the media as giving credibility to anything, it's likely high tier. Everything else is mid tier.

Any exceptions will draw a vast many out of the woodwork to make sure their training isn't threatened by people assuming Mayo and Harvard South Shore are top tier.

Nasrudin and OldPsychDoc like this.
  5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nope. For many to most programs, no one has likely heard of them. Most psych programs are regional by nature and/or design and most aren't "low tier." You will also get loud talking heads on the squak box and social media from programs assumed to be good because their basketball team does well. And some of the truly bottom tier programs are so malignant that they are infamous and more familiar by name than many solid regional programs.

There are a list of about 10 programs most folks would probably agree are amongst the best in the nation and about 5 folks would probably agree are amongst the worst. Between them is a spectrum. But what's handy that along most of that spectrum are some programs that will give you quality training and allow you to be an excellent psychiatrist. Even though you've probably never heard of many of them.

6. st2205

st2205 Attending
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm speaking in a very quick generalization that in ~85% of the time will hold true, qualified with my statement above that people will come out of the woodwork to hotly contest any exceptions.

7. ima4ltrwrd

7+ Year Member

Don't sell yourself short, apply broadly, and be personable during the interviews. You should be able to get where you want.

8. MacDonaldTriad

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you surveyed all of the psychiatry training directors, I’m sure that the majority of programs would consider themselves above average. It is a very fixed shared delusion that this can make any logical sense. The other shared delusion involves schadenfreude, the belief that the demise of a program geographically near you somehow makes you training better. Mid-tier programs are the mode by definition but I don’t think the curve is all that bell shaped. It is probably somewhat bimodal with the larger hump being on the weak end.
    In fairness, training directors tend to be affable humble academic types compared to other groups of academic psychiatrists. I’ve been in some national meetings where the competition to show everyone how much you know would make WWII look like a minor skirmish. Humility can be as rare as chicken lips at some meetings. I refer to those audience questions on the mic after a presentation; ever notice how it is often hard to find a question in what is being said?

9. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh God so true..."I'd like to phrase a non-question that highlights my experience which I believe trumps yours?"

That said, this isn't unique to psych. I saw this at emergency med conferences an at non-medical tech conferences. I think certain insecure personality types LIVE for those mic moments...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk