Midwest Job Market or Residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FuturePharm21

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have any insight on the jobs in the Midwest in particular Chicago, IL, Milwaukee Wi, and St. Louis Mo?

Also when do most 5th years apply for jobs if I graduate next May, 2014???

I've worked as a Walmart pharm Intern for past 3 years, have leadership and research experience and plan to join the crazy retail pharmacy world. I would like $50 per hour but it all depends on location.

OR I can choose the residency route but I'm not really sure I want to go into more debt if doing a residency won't boost my salary and leave me in more debt. I don't mind the retail world🙂
 
You would be out of your mind to go down the residency route if retail is your calling. Absolutely crazy. Take the retail job and don't look back.
 
You would be out of your mind to go down the residency route if retail is your calling. Absolutely crazy. Take the retail job and don't look back.

This. Retail won't touch you with a ten foot pole if you've done a residency.

I understand that St. Louis is pretty saturated - there's one school of pharmacy in the city, plus the University of Missouri and Southern Illinois are within a short drive. Chicago is probably the most saturated pharmacist market outside of California since there are five pharmacy schools in the Chicago area.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IF there is any chance you might want to work as a clinical pharmacist in a hospital you should consider doing a residency. St. Louis isn't nearly as saturated as Chicago - but Chicago is pretty bad so that isn't saying much.

I am a staff clinical pharmacist in a less desirable area in the Midwest and even we are unlikely to hire without hospital clinical experience or a residency. We get so many applicants now we need some way to sort them out.

If you are certain that retail pharmacy is for you then don't waste your time doing a PGY1.
 
This year, things are fine in Milwaukee, WI. It is uncertain how next year will play out because Concordia will graduate its first class. Concordia is in the Milwaukee area. We'll also have to see how WPQC plays out, and if it does well, we make get extra hours from it.
 
it's ridiculous at how many pharmacy schools expanded their class size and how many new schools opened up recently

Is all of the IL region saturated?

Also when do 6th years apply for jobs if I graduate in May, 2014?
 
so when do people start applying if I graduate in May 2014?

Typically in the Fall but hospitals tend to wait longer than retail to make a decision. For instance, my employer just made the final decision for our new hires within the past month.

Does your school do a job fair?
 
it's ridiculous at how many pharmacy schools expanded their class size and how many new schools opened up recently

Is all of the IL region saturated?

Also when do 6th years apply for jobs if I graduate in May, 2014?

The schools have nothing to worry about. They're making money, and therefore according to today's culture, why shouldn't they? Making money is even called a virtue