Midwest tornados/floods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dogtor2012

ISU 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was just wondering how current students in the mid-west are dealing with all the tornados and floods? I'm heading off to ISU in the fall, and this makes me a little nervous!
 
I grew up in an area that got a few tornadoes every year. Just check out disaster preparedness sites. When I lived in a more tornado-prone area than Knoxville, I kept water, dog bowls, and slip leads in the master walk-in closet. I also kept a crank-to-play radio in there, so when things got bad, I could go in the closet with my dogs and listen to the radio. I'd put the leads around them, and hold them close (it helps that they were small), and if we got stuck in there for several hours, we'd at least have water and a radio. I never really needed it (just once), but it was nice to be ready.

I'm sure the vet school has disaster-preparedness plan and they'll brief you on it when you get there. Just remember, interior room, no glass, basement if possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah. Living in tornado alley isn't as scary as it seems, honestly. Floods aren't fun, either, but the trouble depends on where you live. My street slopes downwards away from our house so we don't have much to worry about. Other areas do.

As far as damage, I think only KSU had any of that. It sucks, but it happens.
 
I would say tornados are pretty rare in Iowa, at least compared to down where I'm from in tornado alley so don't get too worked up over that. Just use common sense and you'll be fine for about 99% of em.

On a side note, I saw a tornado touch down about a block away from me last time I was in Arkansas. It was awesome!