Midwestern- Arizona & Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys!

So I was looking at the prereqs for Midwestern and they require 4 semester hours of anatomy with lab and 4 hours of physiology. I'm a Texas resident and the university that I go to offers classes in mostly 3 semester hour increments :( So I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is haha but does this mean that I will have to take 2 classes in anatomy and 2 classes in physiology JUST to satisfy those requirements?

hope that made sense haha

Members don't see this ad.

i didn't take any anatomy courses and got an interview invite from midwestern az. i think a lot of universities are kind of lenient on the prereqs that aren't core such as basic bio, physics and ochem.

Yes you will have to take 2 courses. I spoke to admissions and the guy specifically told me that since they require 4 hrs of Anatomy+ 4 hrs of Physiology. If I choose to take A&P 1 (4hr) I will still have to take another semester meaning A&P II.

Of course you'll get an interview if you havent completed it yet (RMR that you dont have to have all your prereqs complete to get an interview). HOWEVER they require you to submit your transcripts if they accept you and if you dont have A&P youre in deep trouble..

Just take the damn courses...Im a TX resident too and when I found out about this all the classes were full for the Fall so I'm taking it at a Community College unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
what is 6 quarter hours? is that 2 quarters worth of a class?

I'm just taking the one credit lab with each so I will have exactly four.

damn I was afraid of that but thanks for the advice guys!

and larrys, i'm not sure what the quarter hours means because my school goes by semester hours :( might want to ask the school to get an accurate answer!

i didn't take any anatomy courses and got an interview invite from midwestern az. i think a lot of universities are kind of lenient on the prereqs that aren't core such as basic bio, physics and ochem.

They still expect you have all of your prerequisites done by the time you matriculate. Midwestern AZ is really strict about this and won't let you start school there if you don't finish the mandatory prereqs like Physio

hey guys!

So I was looking at the prereqs for Midwestern and they require 4 semester hours of anatomy with lab and 4 hours of physiology. I'm a Texas resident and the university that I go to offers classes in mostly 3 semester hour increments :( So I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is haha but does this mean that I will have to take 2 classes in anatomy and 2 classes in physiology JUST to satisfy those requirements?

hope that made sense haha

It sounds like your university is offering it without the lab, which is why it's 3 hours instead of 4. You should not have to take 2 classes of each (4 classes), that would be 12 credits total, 4 over the required 8. Does your school offer a lab course for Anatomy and/or Physiology?

A good option if you can't get the solid 8 at your school is to find a school nearby with an allied health department, one offering a nursing program, paramedic, respiratory therapy, etc. They will often offer an Anatomy and Physiology sequence of 8 credits over 2 semesters. This is what I did, so I know it satisfies their requirements. (Check out community colleges as well)

I suggest you contact dental admissions at MWU-AZ and explain your situation and see what they say. It may be that they will give you a break and allow the two 3 credit courses. :xf::)

It sounds like your university is offering it without the lab, which is why it's 3 hours instead of 4. You should not have to take 2 classes of each (4 classes), that would be 12 credits total, 4 over the required 8. Does your school offer a lab course for Anatomy and/or Physiology?

A good option if you can't get the solid 8 at your school is to find a school nearby with an allied health department, one offering a nursing program, paramedic, respiratory therapy, etc. They will often offer an Anatomy and Physiology sequence of 8 credits over 2 semesters. This is what I did, so I know it satisfies their requirements. (Check out community colleges as well)

I suggest you contact dental admissions at MWU-AZ and explain your situation and see what they say. It may be that they will give you a break and allow the two 3 credit courses. :xf::)

Hey Kahr,

I'm presuming you attend MWU-AZ, considering you're from Glendale. I'm from AZ too. For MWU the prereq is 4 credits of Anatomy with lab and 4 credits of Physio. If an "Anatomy and Physiology" course with a lab is offered, would that hit the two birds with one stone? Or do you think they would like 2 distinct courses of each? Thanks!

Hey Kahr,

I'm presuming you attend MWU-AZ, considering you're from Glendale. I'm from AZ too. For MWU the prereq is 4 credits of Anatomy with lab and 4 credits of Physio. If an "Anatomy and Physiology" course with a lab is offered, would that hit the two birds with one stone? Or do you think they would like 2 distinct courses of each? Thanks!
Hi ducky,

Not only do I think it, but I know it hits "two birds with one stone". Which is precisely why I suggested to the OP that he look for just such a course sequence, since typically they're more common than the alternative individual courses.

The specific course and description that I took and used for their pre-req (just as a reference): http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/science/courses.jsp

BIO 425/426 Anatomy & Physiology 4CRS. 3 HRS. 3 LAB HRS x2

This two-semester course explores the human body as an integrated, functional complex of systems. Terminology, structure and function of each organ-system, with emphasis on their interrelationships, are explained. Required of students in the health services technologies; available to all other students for elective credit. Prerequisite for BIO 426 is BIO 425. Two terms required.

Opinion: If you can take a real gross human anatomy with lab (I'm talking about a cadaver type lab, like one similar to what we do in dental school), then that would probably be a much better option in terms of preparation for dental school.

Thanks Kahr, your advice helps a lot!

Like cluckyducky said, I was hoping to hit two birds with one stone by taking a course that is listed as "anatomy and physiology" at my school. If not, I might just go to a CC to get it done.

I've also emailed admissions and explained my situation so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll update ya'll on this when I get a response!