Midwestern AZCOM vs. WesternU Northwest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJohnStangel

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently was accepted to both Midwestern (Glendale) and WesternU (Lebanon). I've been trying to weigh my options and decide between the two and thought I would start a comparison thread. Please feel free to contribute your input! :)

Midwestern AZCOM:
Location: Suburban (Glendale is a middle-class suburb of North Phoenix)
Campus: Multidisciplinary, very large campus with multiple buildings including a library and cafeteria
Class Size: 250
Tuition (rounded): $69,000
Estimated CoA: $96,000-$100,000
COMLEX 1 pass rate (2018): 95.8%
COMLEX 2 pass rate (2018): 93.2%
COMLEX 3 pass rate (2018): 97.2%
Grading system: Letter grades/ranked
Graduation rate (2018): 90%
Percent of students matching into primary care (2018): 62%
% placement into ACGME residency (as opposed to AOA): (?)

WesternU - Oregon:
Campus: Single building for the COM, no library
Class Size: 105
Tuition (rounded): $58,000
Estimated CoA: $83,000
COMLEX 1 pass rate (2018): 97%
COMLEX 2 pass rate (2018): 92.2%
COMLEX 3 pass rate (2018): 98.8%
Grading system: Pass/fail (Honors if > = 90%)
Graduation rate (2018): 83%
Percent of students matching into primary care (2018): 54%
% placement into ACGME residency (as opposed to AOA): 66%

Members don't see this ad.

can you add like your subjective pros and cons, like -- did you like the area? can you see yourself living there? did you like your interview/tour? is it close/far from family/support system? Where do students match - are they matching more locally, regionally, or all across the US - do you want to match to similar areas? -- got to think about that stuff too.

If all is equal, I'd choose the lower tuition :)

Hey guys,

I recently was accepted to both Midwestern (Glendale) and WesternU (Lebanon). I've been trying to weigh my options and decide between the two and thought I would start a comparison thread. Please feel free to contribute your input! :)

Midwestern AZCOM:
Campus: Multidisciplinary, very large campus with multiple buildings including a library and cafeteria

WesternU - Oregon:

Damn what a baller! Western U and Midwestern are 2 of my target schools!

Reactions: 1 user
can you add like your subjective pros and cons, like -- did you like the area? can you see yourself living there? did you like your interview/tour? is it close/far from family/support system? Where do students match - are they matching more locally, regionally, or all across the US - do you want to match to similar areas? -- got to think about that stuff too.

Ah yes! Thank you!

I was born and raised in Phoenix — I work in the hospital’s that MWU students rotate in, I'm more familiar with the local Gen Surg residencies here (GS is the goal), etc. however, I have also lived in Dublin, Ireland and found that weather to be preferable to the 115 degree Arizona summers (clouds and all). I originally was interviewing at WesternU in order to practice for my Midwestern interview, however on interview day I found that I very much enjoyed the vibe I got from the students and faculty. They were humble, approachable, and kind. This attitude was again displayed when they called me to tell me I was accepted - the call was personal, unscripted, and I really felt that the vice dean was genuinely excited to tell me that I had been accepted. Contrarily, my call from Midwestern was more scripted and the interview day was a little more generic-feeling (if that makes sense). Truth be told, though - Midwestern does have some pretty awesome facilities that were even more cool in person on interview day.

In terms of matching, I know that many Midwestern students match into awesome residency programs here in Phoenix but they do have to compete for those now with 4 other schools in state (UA Phx, UA Tucson, ATSU, and Mayo... I have heard Creighton may expand out here too) now that MD's and DO's are all competing for the same spots. I have heard that WesternU COMP-NW students have the potential to match into some pretty great residencies in the PNW and California, although I know less about those programs (input, anyone?).

I can see myself living in either location. It would be great to be close to family, however, I do recognize the benefits in personal growth when stepping out of one's comfort zone. As of now, I think I would ultimately like to practice in Phoenix, however, I think this can be achieved as an end goal no matter where I go. That's why I think hearing how other people compare and view the schools would be beneficial in maybe seeing this decision in a different light as both seem to be pretty great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I also was fortunately accepted to great schools including COMP-NW, and I decided to attend COMP-NW because:

1. Currently living in Portland, Oregon with family, so the location played a big role in my decision. My parents are old and I would like to visit them frequently to spend time together.

2. Rotation sites throughout PNW -- there are not many medical schools in PNW, so there isn't as much competition for rotation spots. It allows students at both COMP-NW and OHSU to receive great clinical education, especially since OHSU has its own teaching hospital, leading to even less competition. Also there are great residency programs here like OHSU and Providence, where I know of couple of physicians working there top off my head who went to COMP-NW.

3. Great vibes from students and faculty members! I wholeheartedly agree.

4. Area -- Lebanon, though rural, is safe and friendly. In addition to the cheap COL, it has everything one would need: grocery stores, bars, cafes, and etc. It is also very close to Corvallis, a college town nearby, and other cities like Eugene, Salem and Portland.
As for climate, it's what you would expect from Oregon. Rain (usually drizzling) from October to May, but beautiful summer with temperatures of 70-85. It does go above 90 sometimes, but with low humidity. This year has been a little different though, with less rain and colder, dryer weather. So it is not too bad!

5. New curriculum for emphasis on board preparation -- I believe this year (2018-2019) was the first year for the new curriculum to be implemented. I am happy to see that the school is trying to prepare its students more for boards.

Hope this list for choosing COMP-NW helped! PM me if you have any other questions -- would be happy to help!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Midwestern AZCOM:

WesternU - Oregon:
Both good schools. Do you like dry heat, or lots of rain?

Reactions: 1 users
I got into AZCOM last year. They have solid match lists and really restructured their schedule to give people tons of board prep time (I'm sure you heard about this on interview day). I think they said they were top 5 for COMLEX last year? I could be wrong. Regardless, it sounds like you're looking for a change of scenery. I have a lot of classmates who look at med school and even residency potentially as a chance to live in another part of the country for a finite time and see how it feels. Kind of seems like you may be feeling the same from what you've said here.

Plus AZCOMs tuition is so high. Again very solid program but 68k a year is a ton of potential debt. I'd pick Western U lebanon if I were you, but you can't go wrong. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I was accepted to both of these schools this year as well and would have picked COMP-NW because of the cheaper tuition+cheaper COL. Both are great schools that will prepare you well. I just didn't feel Midwestern's price was worth it to be honest. Good luck!!

Midwestern offers nothing worth extra 10k. The decision is simply that. You'll be in school and work most of the time, so it doesn't matter if it's at the beach or in Antarctica

Current AZCOM student here. I personally think it comes down to what you're looking for. As stated above, if all things are equal in this sense, cost would be the biggest factor to consider. I'd encourage you to make a realistic budget with liberal estimates for each school. I will say this, I too was raised in AZ and have older parents. I turned down an acceptance that was roughly 10K/year cheaper after considering cost of living and the proximity to my established support system (but you'll make new friends). Cost of living is a huge factor and one that is often overlooked by incoming students, but its almost guaranteed to be cheaper in Oregon so you're good on that front. I agree with an a comment above that it sounds like you're looking for a change of scenery.

Just one quick correction for anyone reading this in the future. In the past three years, 737 students matched from AZCOM. Out of those 737 students, 358 matched to FM, IM, or Peds. So the primary care match rate over the past three years is roughly 49% (52% if you factor OB/GYN into that equation).

Current AZCOM student here. I personally think it comes down to what you're looking for. As stated above, if all things are equal in this sense, cost would be the biggest factor to consider. I'd encourage you to make a realistic budget with liberal estimates for each school. I will say this, I too was raised in AZ and have older parents. I turned down an acceptance that was roughly 10K/year cheaper after considering cost of living and the proximity to my established support system (but you'll make new friends). Cost of living is a huge factor and one that is often overlooked by incoming students, but its almost guaranteed to be cheaper in Oregon so you're good on that front. I agree with an a comment above that it sounds like you're looking for a change of scenery.

Just one quick correction for anyone reading this in the future. In the past three years, 737 students matched from AZCOM. Out of those 737 students, 358 matched to FM, IM, or Peds. So the primary care match rate over the past three years is roughly 49% (52% if you factor OB/GYN into that equation).
How are the board prep with the schedule change? Will it be sufficient enough to score well on Step 1? And how are the rotation sites looking like?