Midwestern:CCOM and Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssa915

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to a few schools, one of which being CCOM. It just seems, that after all these acceptances, I'm wondering, how competetive is CCOM?

For those who got accepted, what are your stats? GPA and MCAT

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to a few schools, one of which being CCOM. It just seems, that after all these acceptances, I'm wondering, how competetive is CCOM?

Thanks!

quit massaging your ego. do you care about the fact that you have been accepted to a career field that will allow you to learn the respected healing science of medicine and the fact that your going to be taking care of fellow human beings the rest of your life....or do you just want to see how much of an accomplishment it is to get accepted to CCOM?

--it sounds like your a little let down having been accepted because they are accepting too many people...not "elite" enough for you huh?
pathetic
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
quit massaging your ego. do you care about the fact that you have been accepted to a career field that will allow you to learn the respected healing science of medicine and the fact that your going to be taking care of fellow human beings the rest of your life....or do you just want to see how much of an accomplishment it is to get accepted to CCOM?

--it sounds like your a little let down having been accepted because they are accepting too many people...not "elite" enough for you huh?
pathetic
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I don't like to "settle." So to answer your question, I want to see how much of an accomplishment it is to get into CCOM. Please don't respond b/c im not going to answer you and deviate from my original post.

are you in state applicant?

I don't like to "settle." So to answer your question, I want to see how much of an accomplishment it is to get into CCOM. Please don't respond b/c im not going to answer you and deviate from my original post.

if you feel like your "settling" by applying to CCOM, then why did you apply to their program if you think the program there isnt "good enough" for you and you would have to "settle" to attend?

You don't like to settle? Dude whatever. I go to CCOM and I got a 31 on the MCRAP.

Don't come to school with that kind of attitude. It wont be to your advantage.

You don't like to settle? Dude whatever. I go to CCOM and I got a 31 on the MCRAP.

Don't come to school with that kind of attitude. It wont be to your advantage.

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I just want to know that the school I could possibly be attending is one where I would feel comfortable... knowing that my peers had stats similar to mine (29/3.6). I know there will always be exceptions, but overall, its nice to hear that most of those who were accepted to CCOM were competetive applicants. That's all. So again, i'm just taking a survey. I'm not going to argue back and forth about this.

Buckeye, with that kind of mcat, you had a good chance at MD schools, what made you choose CCOM?

Buckeye, with that kind of mcat, you had a good chance at MD schools, what made you choose CCOM?

by the way this makes it sound like you are applying to DO schools as a back up--maybe BUCKEYE prefered Osteopathic Medicine to Allopathic for some personal or ideological reasons??

And I did get into CCOM. I interviewed on the first day (9/25). I have a
3.5 overall/3.9 non-sci/3.2 science/ 24 MCAT (10-BS, 7 on PS and VR, Writing-Q) I have some very unique experiences in my life that I believe helped me gain this acceptance despite my somewhat lower MCAT score. So they really value the whole applicant. And thats important to making a class evolve into excellent physicians.

Am I not good enough for you to attend CCOM?? Im sorry if you feel that way. But I am honored to be offered an acceptance to CCOM class of 2011 :luck: :luck: :)

Thanks!

your message makes me sad

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I just want to know that the school I could possibly be attending is one where I would feel comfortable... knowing that my peers had stats similar to mine (29/3.6). I know there will always be exceptions, but overall, its nice to hear that most of those who were accepted to CCOM were competetive applicants. That's all. So again, i'm just taking a survey. I'm not going to argue back and forth about this.

I am confused...you would feel more comfortable at the school if people had the same stats as you....what if they all had way better stats (3.9 gpa 41 mcats) than you...would you then drop your acceptance letter...I doubt it...thats why it seems bad to ask this question because it seems like you would be feeding your ego...they provide you average gpa's and mcats if you do the research and they dont deviate much from that...and by the way....everyone who gets into medical school (DO or MD) in the US are competitive applicants...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused...you would feel more comfortable at the school if people had the same stats as you....what if they all had way better stats (3.9 gpa 41 mcats) than you...would you then drop your acceptance letter...I doubt it...thats why it seems bad to ask this question because it seems like you would be feeding your ego...they provide you average gpa's and mcats if you do the research and they dont deviate much from that...and by the way....everyone who gets into medical school (DO or MD) in the US are competitive applicants...

If they had better stats than me, then I would definetly choose that school over any other... you always want to surround yourself with people smarter/better than you...I shouldn't have to explain why...lets not turn this thread into an argument...

I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I just want to know that the school I could possibly be attending is one where I would feel comfortable... knowing that my peers had stats similar to mine (29/3.6). I know there will always be exceptions, but overall, its nice to hear that most of those who were accepted to CCOM were competetive applicants.

Hmmm. If I get in to CCOM with a 32/3.8, I may have to reconsider. I don't know if I'd feel "comfortable" knowing you got in with a 29/3.6.

Somehow that degrades the quality of my education and makes me feel like I should be at a better school where people of my academic ilk can gather and rub gold bars on each other.

:cool: <-- $300 sunglasses

Hmmm. If I get in to CCOM with a 32/3.8, I may have to reconsider. I don't know if I'd feel "comfortable" knowing you got in with a 29/3.6.

Somehow that degrades the quality of my education and makes me feel like I should be at a better school where people of my academic ilk can gather and rub gold bars on each other.

:cool: <-- $300 sunglasses

we could be classmates if my 3.2 gpa is ok with you. I love gold bars!

we could be classmates if my 3.2 gpa is ok with you. I love gold bars!

I also have some silver necklaces around here. Or are they being cleaned? The maid always tries to steal them by telling me they're being cleaned.

Then she wears them to work the next day. Idiot.

But the windows shine, the beds are made and the food is great... so we can't fire her. Besides, the kids love her.

If they had better stats than me, then I would definetly choose that school over any other... you always want to surround yourself with people smarter/better than you...I shouldn't have to explain why...lets not turn this thread into an argument...

I commend everyone for responding to this person, because all I can honestly say is WOW....just wow. I tend to try and distance from individuals such as this, because they're ultimately never happy with their situation.

Best of luck to you in finding your intellectual equivalents. My guess is you'll have one helluva small circle of friends if you continue through life like this.

And no, I did NOT misinterpret your post. It's crystal clear from each of your posts in this thread what you're trying to say.

I also have some silver necklaces around here. Or are they being cleaned? The maid always tries to steal them by telling me they're being cleaned.

Then she wears them to work the next day. Idiot.

But the windows shine, the beds are made and the food is great... so we can't fire her. Besides, the kids love her.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You should be a writer.

All I wanted to know were the stats of those who were accepted. Maybe I should have left my original post to that. This is why we spend hours sifting through threads b/c people like you add unnecessary posts that end up going far off onto a tangent.

All I wanted to know were the stats of those who were accepted. Maybe I should have left my original post to that. This is why we spend hours sifting through threads b/c people like you add unnecessary posts that end up going far off onto a tangent.

The problem is that you had no desire to know the average stats of accepted applicants. You only wanted to ensure that your potential future classmates were essentially on par with you. That sort of attitude will only hinder any sort of professional success that you hope to achieve. Not to mention I can only imagine what sort of individuals you call "friends".

I think you'd be well-suited to CCOM. Of the four schools I've visited, CCOM seems to have the coldest vibe.

From my experiences applying to both DO/MD, this person seems to have more of the personality of someone applying to MD schools only.

I, for one, am excited to attend osteopathic schools where I will be surrounded by intelligent people who DONT GIVE A DAMN if everyone is at the same academic level.

Everyone that gets into US medical school is intelligent. Med school is hard, so make some friends, work hard, and stop trying to compare yourself to everyone else. If people like you start going to DO schools, they will lose some of the traits that I think make them BETTER than MD schools, where everyone has to be the best and make sure that they are "ranked" higher than their roomie. Pssshah.

So - this is information you're better off getting from the school itself.
I don't know why you are surprised at the responses you've been getting! As a physician, all of us will need to become much more conscious of how what we say will affect those people listening.

So - this is information you're better off getting from the school itself.
I don't know why you are surprised at the responses you've been getting! As a physician, all of us will need to become much more conscious of how what we say will affect those people listening.

Good advice, i could have used taht last night before I opened my yapper at one point..

Wow!
This is an extremely defensive group of people.
Everyone is a little curious about who else got accepted. Its pretty normal to want to see how tough the admissions have been at the school you are accepted to...

Good advice, i could have used taht last night before I opened my yapper at one point..

I could use it most times of the day or night....I figure if I mention it enough times, I'll remember it myself. :oops:

i would give up my first-born to just get an interview at ccom :) (ahha j/k) i'm a re-applicant with a 3.0 and 30 mcat (i applied the first time with a 23). I've only been complete their for 2 weeks (since the august scores came out) and i just hope i get an interview! :oops: good luck to everyone else applying there too!

Wow!
This is an extremely defensive group of people.
Everyone is a little curious about who else got accepted. Its pretty normal to want to see how tough the admissions have been at the school you are accepted to...

I agree.

I think that would have been accomplished if people hadn't started jumping down his throat.

We all have our heads out on the chopping block during the app process, so I can understand everyone's frustration with this kind of post. It can almost feel like an insult if you've finally received an acceptance and then someone else wants you to JUSTIFY that in some sense. Maybe the poster should have been more eloquent, but I do not think he meant to cause anyone to be upset.

We all want to maximize our education from med school. A common way to go about this is to try to be surrounded by peers of the "highest caliber" (read: highest stats). The truth is, however, that you will have to work with your classmates. If you go to a school with all gunners and you do not have that mentality, it may be a detriment to your education. I noticed at WVSOM yesterday that all of the students worked closely together and were a very tight non-competitive group (in general). I do think that this learning environment would make med school more bearable than getting into a top 10 MD program, because everyone's (relatively) cutthroat at these institutions.

I honestly feel, however, that this was a fair question just to test the waters. EVERYONE on SDN has their stats up at some point. Why not add structure to it?

IF I get flamed, I will find where you live and hurt you with a lead pipe.

Just kidding...

Or am I?

:smuggrin:

drmax;4342945

I honestly feel, however, that this was a fair question just to test the waters. EVERYONE on SDN has their stats up at some point. Why not add structure to it?

Not exactly. He said this:

"It just seems, that after all these acceptances, I'm wondering, how competetive is CCOM?"

Which indicates that he views the people on this board as inadequate and that it somehow reflects on CCOM's quality of education. It's insulting to people who have already gotten accepted to CCOM and to people who want to get into CCOM.

There are far better ways to post his question if his intention was to find out how competitve CCOM is.

I have a 3.24/32 with no interview invite yet. I was complete two weeks ago.

same stats, i was complete over a month ago.

Not exactly. He said this:

"It just seems, that after all these acceptances, I'm wondering, how competetive is CCOM?"

Which indicates that he views the people on this board as inadequate and that it somehow reflects on CCOM's quality of education. It's insulting to people who have already gotten accepted to CCOM and to people who want to get into CCOM.

There are far better ways to post his question if his intention was to find out how competitve CCOM is.

exactly. It's not what he asked, its how he asked it. (i dont know why im assuming its a guy, but Im probably right)

Listen, you all need to seriously chill. I was never undermining anyone's education, intelligence or potential to succeed as a physician. If that is all you could extract from my post, then you got serious insecurity issues to deal with. Many of you get very defensive very quickly. My original post is not too different from others who ask "what's the best osteopathic school." I know, you will respond to this with something along the lines of "well best is relative, best could range from weather conditions and study environment to the cheapest tuition and best residency placements." Many things define what is the "best" program, I simply want to know how competetive, in terms of grades and mcat scores, is CCOM's admissions. I have checked thier website but it only gives the 2002 stats (26 mcat), that's why i'm posting this here. I just want a vague idea. Out of all these ridiculous posts, only about 4-5 answered my question (thanks to those who did). I guess we have to be a little more sensitive when posting in this forum.

Listen, you all need to seriously chill. I was never undermining anyone's education, intelligence or potential to succeed as a physician. If that is all you could extract from my post, then you got serious insecurity issues to deal with. Many of you get very defensive very quickly. My original post is not too different from others who ask "what's the best osteopathic school." I know, you will respond to this with something along the lines of "well best is relative, best could range from weather conditions and study environment to the cheapest tuition and best residency placements." Many things define what is the "best" program, I simply want to know how competetive, in terms of grades and mcat scores, is CCOM's admissions. I have checked thier website but it only gives the 2002 stats (26 mcat), that's why i'm posting this here. I just want a vague idea. Out of all these ridiculous posts, only about 4-5 answered my question (thanks to those who did). I guess we have to be a little more sensitive when posting in this forum.

I have no reason to be defensive and I think your post sucks:smuggrin:

but obviously you think a random SDN sampling of 5 students will give you a better idea than published average stats (hint: look at US news or the like)

So if anyone is still reading this thread....

I would love to hear from others, to familiarize myself with my future classmates (hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings). ;)

Thanks!

If you care that much about the stats of those around you, then why are you not applying MD only? It is a well proven fact that DO schools have lower statistics than MD school.

I am going to look down on all of you when I meet you at CCOM cause I have an 60 MCAT score - it was 20/20/20 with a Z in the writing section and a 4.7+ GPA. I have a PhD in robotics from the University of Tokyo, a PhD in anatomy from the Univerity of Berlin, and a PhD in molecular nuclear physics from Stanford.

I discovered the p53 tumor suppresor gene and also all the PCR techniques needed to activate/inactivate it. I have a patent with the US Depart of Labor that is in cellular apoptosis and own my own pharmacutical company.

And I have 54 papers published in the NEJM and 79 in JAMA.

Did I also mention that I can do gel electrophoresis with my eyes closed and two hands behind my back?

So you are all loosers!

Bow down to CatsandCradles! I own you all!!

Muwahahaha@@@!!!:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

I have a 3.24/32 with no interview invite yet. I was complete two weeks ago.

Congrads on your 32! I have no doubt that you will get interviews at all DO schools you apply to and also a handful of MD schools. Best of luck in your app cycle!

I have no reason to be defensive and I think your post sucks:smuggrin:

but obviously you think a random SDN sampling of 5 students will give you a better idea than published average stats (hint: look at US news or the like)

I really agree with DRKUBA, avg stats stay consistent from year to year. There may be a trend one way or another but its not going to be enough to make a difference. Check out USNEWS and realize that there are going to be some above and below. Avg of 25.8 on the MCAT with 3.5 gpa. So you are a little above it but not much really. I would say those are pretty competitive grades and scores, wouldnt you?

I think that should pretty much answer the question...

I have no real stock in CCOM, considering I'm already a med student. You're now trying to spin your post into something purely innocent and analogous to what would be a much more appropriate questions to ask. I don't recall who said it earlier in the thread, but as a medical student you will be working with your classmates. The only competition should be between you and yourself. After medical school, you will once again be working with your colleagues in a residency and even later in some sort of practice.

The sooner you realize that everyone brings something significant to the table, the sooner you'll realize what a foolish question you asked. I can assure you that (I know at my school for sure) some of the brightest and hardest working individuals are within the walls of every medical school in this country.

Good luck, and I honestly hope you just take a moment to reflect rather than automatically assuming everyone was overly sensitive.

looks like the school considers more than just #s based on pple's responses. not sure what the magic combo is. obviously my 3.2 and 31Q weren't good enough for even an interview (got my rejection letter yesterday). personally, i think being from the midwest helps (I'm not), but who really knows...

looks like the school considers more than just #s based on pple's responses. not sure what the magic combo is. obviously my 3.2 and 31Q weren't good enough for even an interview (got my rejection letter yesterday). personally, i think being from the midwest helps (I'm not), but who really knows...

Do you have any research under your belt? I have this itching feeling that CCOM is serious about their research and are looking for students that already have experience. Just wondering about that and experience since your numbers are pretty good

Do you have any research under your belt? I have this itching feeling that CCOM is serious about their research and are looking for students that already have experience. Just wondering about that and experience since your numbers are pretty good

I did not get that at all. I have 0 research experience and I interviewed there yesterday.

Marcia

tons, actually. 3 yrs in the lab w/a journal publication and several abstracts, as well as 2 yrs as a clinical research coordinator. the person i talked to on the phone seemed to downplay reserach in lieu of more direct patient care. whatever, i took my study pts vitals, monitored their meds, counseled them on their labs, etc. CCOM, like many other schools, is looking for 1) higher overall and science gpa 2) having personal reasons for going to that particular school (imo). the DO i shadowed went to CCOM and i lived in the chicago area last year, but i knew little about the school outside of its solid rep as a DO school. i think if i lived in teh area now and was able to attend the open house, it would have increased my chances for an interview...

wow. you guys have super competitive stats. I got an interview invite at CCOM after beting put on hold with just a 3.1sci / 3.3 overall, and my april 30S MCAT ( they haven't gotten my august scores ) . I do have a lot of clinical work with D.O's, and one of the D.O.'s i shadowed is on staff at midwestern, and the other is a grad of midwestern as well. I definitely tailored my essay to their school, and am super - familiar with them because many of my friends go to CCOM - i went to the open house and tried to shmooze up the D.O's and prof as much as i could. in all fairness, the D.O's i shadowed gave the dean a ring, as well as admissions, and put in a good word, but most of my friends interviewing at CCOM have similar stats..) 3.2-3.5 gpa, 23 - 26 MCAT. i think its crazy people with 32's aren't getting interviews.

Last edited:

I have a 3.2/32 and havent gotten an interview. SO I def think you are right that they consider more than numbers. AND i have tons of research and clinical experience. But no volunteer, maybe they are looking for that.