Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What does the portal show if one is on the alternate list?

Sorry I meant to reply to this. My portal has not changed

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else receive an email about a background check AFTER they were already accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else receive an email about a background check AFTER they were already accepted?

Yep! I did mine a few months ago, but I believe all you need to do is go to the background check website and fill out your name and stuff and then electronically sign it allowing MWU to perform the check. I'm sure there are instructions to follow in the email

Any recommendations for Off-campus housing in Downers Grove, Lombard, or Naperville???

Congratulations to everyone who was recently accepted! I can't wait to meet everyone!

I noticed that many of you have a lot of questions regarding housing and my best advice would be to join the Facebook group. Many of your questions have already been answered and people respond much quicker. I would also check the previous Midwestern StudentDoc forums (Class of 2016 and 2015) as they have a lot of useful info as well.

Good luck! I hope this was helpful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/297967150321339/

YES, PLEASE join your class's Facebook group! There's already discussion on there for housing and such :)

Can anyone shed light on the residency opportunities Midwestern offers? I heard they are more community than clinical.

Midwestern's faculty is very proud of their residency match rate. We do have an elective for post-graduate studies and I highly recommend that elective if you have the opportunity to take it. They do seem to highly highly push for residency.

In the future of pharmacy, American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacy (ASHP) is trying to push the Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative (PPMI) where regardless of your post-graduate interests, every pharmacist will be required to have a residency.

There's so many different types of residency programs available, even community. Actually in fact, I'm sitting in on a Residency Director panel set up by Illinois Council of Health-Systems Pharmacists (ICHP). Dominick's / Safeway has a community residency program.

Hope this helps :)

YES, PLEASE join your class's Facebook group! There's already discussion on there for housing and such :)

Midwestern's faculty is very proud of their residency match rate. We do have an elective for post-graduate studies and I highly recommend that elective if you have the opportunity to take it. They do seem to highly highly push for residency.

In the future of pharmacy, American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacy (ASHP) is trying to push the Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative (PPMI) where regardless of your post-graduate interests, every pharmacist will be required to have a residency.

There's so many different types of residency programs available, even community. Actually in fact, I'm sitting in on a Residency Director panel set up by Illinois Council of Health-Systems Pharmacists (ICHP). Dominick's / Safeway has a community residency program.

I will be outraged if that effect of requiring every pharmacy student to do a residency happens during my time.

I will be outraged if that effect of requiring every pharmacy student to do a residency happens during my time.

I've heard from some people that it may be a requirement in a few years that residency would be required post grad for pharmacy students. Just like how it is required for medical students. So I'm guessing that it's best to just do residency anyways.

)

:( What if I don't have Facebook? Would you be kind enough to give some recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm wait-listed. I have not heard back from them for awhile after my interview so I emailed them and they told me that I am wait-listed. I think they should have emailed me and let me know about my status even though I am on the alternate list.

A little bit disappointed because I did well on my interview compare to other applicants in my group interview. So far, I know 4 of the applicants in my group also on the alternate list which let me to the thought of may be they called us for interview recently just to fill the alternate list!!:(

I'm wait-listed. I have not heard back from them for awhile after my interview so I emailed them and they told me that I am wait-listed. I think they should have emailed me and let me know about my status even though I am on the alternate list.

A little bit disappointed because I did well on my interview compare to other applicants in my group interview. So far, I know 4 of the applicants in my group also on the alternate list which let me to the thought of may be they called us for interview recently just to fill the alternate list!!:(

I'm sorry to hear that you are on the waitlist! But it doesn't make any sense as to why they would need to fill up the alternate list? Did you interview late in the cycle?

Do you mind sharing your stats?
I was just interviewed 4/5/13, I believe that I did well during the interview, but now i'm feeling very anxious.

I was just interviewed 4/5/13, I believe that I did well during the interview, but now i'm feeling very anxious.

I've heard from some people that it may be a requirement in a few years that residency would be required post grad for pharmacy students. Just like how it is required for medical students. So I'm guessing that it's best to just do residency anyways.
One of the nice things about pharmacy was not having a required residency like med school. Unless you're working in a hospital i see no point. Can anyone provide any references that talks about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that you are on the waitlist! But it doesn't make any sense as to why they would need to fill up the alternate list? Did you interview late in the cycle?

my interview was recently in early March.
I know it doesn't make sense but I have heard many people who were interviewed in the previous cycle talked about it, so the second thought in my head tells me may be they are right!

uh-oh... sorry if my post makes you feel anxious. It was just my second thought. If you think you did good, you'll be accepted, don't lose hope!

My stat is not that fancy:
B/S Biochem,
B/S Chem,
Pre-req GPA :3.3
Cum GPA: 2.8

working as a math and science instructor for about 2 years
lots of hours at pharmacies as volunteer

Keep your head up. I think it may be because of the timing of your interview. Traditionally interviewing around this time is considered late. But don't despair! I interviewed around May/June and placed on the waitlist and was accepted in July.

One of the nice things about pharmacy was not having a required residency like med school. Unless you're working in a hospital i see no point. Can anyone provide any references that talks about this?

American Society of Health Systems Pharmacy (ASHP) has an initiative called the Pharmacy Practice Model Initiative (PPMI)
- http://www.ashpmedia.org/ppmi/

For articles and commentaries, check out the American Journal of Health Systems Pharmacy at http://www.ajhp.org/ and do a search for mandatory residencies.

There's still a lot of discussion over the topic and although there is a push to eventually make residency training mandatory, right now there just isn't enough PGY1 and PGY2 positions.

In my opinion (please take with a grain of salt), I think residency will just make me a more efficient and overall a better pharmacist. It's been described as condensing 3-5 years of work experience into 1 year. Yes if you only want to pursue retail pharmacy, then yea maybe residency is not the most efficient or financially pleasing option. But you know, weigh your options carefully.

Pharmacy is still changing and retail pharmacies like Walgreens and Dominick's/Safeway/Vons are trying to move a bit more clinical and less dispensing. They're trying to seek new ways to attract patients to come in besides to fill medications.

Also please keep in mind that after graduation, you are NOT forced to choose residency or retail. There are SO MANY more options out there besides two, you just gotta go find them and go for it.

I just think regardless if you want to pursue residency or not, why not keep your options open?

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here. Nice to see you still helping out the rookies. PLS initiate well deserved! lol

Aww!!

You're gonna make me blush... /)_(\

Hi,

I'm looking to apply to Midwestern this coming Fall.

Does Midwestern grant any financial aid/scholarships? Are any of these attainable to cut the cost down?

I currently attend the University of Florida, so I will be applying there too.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I'd love to get out-of-state.. but with a somewhat manageable debt.. haha

Thanks

Hi,

I'm looking to apply to Midwestern this coming Fall.

Does Midwestern grant any financial aid/scholarships? Are any of these attainable to cut the cost down?

I currently attend the University of Florida, so I will be applying there too.

Does anyone have any insight into this? I'd love to get out-of-state.. but with a somewhat manageable debt.. haha

Thanks

Hi,

The only financial aid Midwestern offers is through Stafford subsidized/unsubsidized loans. However, throughout the school years there are many opportunities to apply for scholarships. I'm just not sure if there are scholarships you can apply for prior to admissions.

Does anyone know if the subsidized/unsubsidized loans are enough to pay for tuition because I see that Midwestern is a bit pricey

Does anyone know if the subsidized/unsubsidized loans are enough to pay for tuition because I see that Midwestern is a bit pricey

Yes, it will be enough. They even allow for extra costs, such as housing, transportation, etc. It's always good to take out the bare minimum, though.

Yes, it will be enough. They even allow for extra costs, such as housing, transportation, etc. It's always good to take out the bare minimum, though.

Thank you!! I've been so worried about tuition now I can get back go excitement

Isn't it still A LOT to pay off in loans after Pharmacy school?

Has anyone heard back from 4/5 interview?

The UIC COP wait-list is up, and considering many students who are waiting for those responses might have already been admitted to Midwestern, the wait-list will soon get rolling.

The UIC COP wait-list is up, and considering many students who are waiting for those responses might have already been admitted to Midwestern, the wait-list will soon get rolling.

I like the sound of that!

I've received an interview invite from here, but am conflicted whether or not to go since I have received acceptances from other schools, University of Colorado and Washington State, which both are ranked higher and closer to home (I am from California).

However, I am also looking at other things such as what types of residencies are emphasized (I intend to do clinical pharmacy), location (I come from a very clustered surburban area), how the interactions are between faculty and students and among students, and quality of teaching.

Can any of the current students provide me with information and/or any suggestions? Feel free to PM me:)

I submitted my transcript to MWU. It shows on the portal as "partial transcript received". Anyone know what that means? Thanks

I submitted my transcript to MWU. It shows on the portal as "partial transcript received". Anyone know what that means? Thanks

I'm guessing they're expecting transcript from different college..? Or still waiting on current classes. Call them

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

This also happened to me. In my case, I believe it is because when I sent the transcript in(Dec. 2012), my degree was not listed on it because my school sent it before they confirmed my degree and listed it on my transcript. You may have a different situation, but I hope this might help

Just so you know Midwestern says in their interviews that they only allow 33 grand in sub/unsub loans. And their tuition is 35k a year. However you can take out grad plus loans ontop of sun/unsub govt loans. The interest rate is higher and it is a credit based loan. So if you don't have credit history you can't get it.

I am also looking at other things such as what types of residencies are emphasized (I intend to do clinical pharmacy), location (I come from a very clustered surburban area), how the interactions are between faculty and students and among students, and quality of teaching.

Can any of the current students provide me with information and/or any suggestions? Feel free to PM me:)

Residencies is post-pharmacy school training so it's hard to say what is emphasized. MWU in general, emphasizes residency training so whatever you're interested in, you'll apply for it.

The location of MWU is clustered suburban area. We're 45-60 min from the city, but we still have all your casual wants and needs nearby.

Faculty in general love the students here and have a pretty open-door policy. I am proud to say (although my classmates might think it weird) but I Skype chatted with a professor just last week the night before our exam. She made herself available for the students and my friend and I were reviewing and we didn't understand something. I added her on Skype and sent her a message. The professors are so helpful and so willing to help the students out. They're very active in the student organizations as well. They want to see you succeed.

Quality of teaching... that's hard for anyone to say. I enjoy the curriculum here. I don't feel overwhelmed and studying for the material is very doable if you want to work while in school. Many of my friends here have long distance relationships and I think they're doing pretty well or ok.

if they have made a decision about our application, what is supposed to look different about the portal? i understand that the applicant checklist is supposed to change if you're accepted, but what about wait-listed or denied?

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!! oh my god! So excited! :D

Interviewed on 4/3 .....On the alternate list :( Im soooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad :( :( :( :(

Intetviewed 4/24 and can't wait to hear from them. How long did u wait to hear from them.

I'm giving up my seat because I finally got into a school in California! So a seat should open up soon! Good luck to all those who are still waiting! :)

When did u interview? Just curious. Congrats. Good luck with everything.

I interviewed february 15th and was put as an alternate a week later, i checked my portal yesterday and it had the accepted student checklist :love:

A dream finally come through for u. Congrats. If am accepted then we will meet over there.

what does the portal look like when your placed on the alternate list?

and has anyone heard back from 4/5 interview?