Midwestern University (Glendale, AZ) C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestudent@stake

Reaction score
Just wanted to start this thread since I haven't seen any student has started the thread for pharmacy school for C/O 2023! Comment away about your interview experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my interview on 11/25, and I’m expecting to hear back on 12/6. I got more and more nervous while waiting, so I just wanted to ask...
I had bad gpa (<3.0), good PCAT (>90), fine hospital experience + other pharmacy experiences, and a smooth interview. But basically everyone feels good about the interview, and some of them are still put on the waiting list.
Now I’m worrying that my horrible gpa will get me a rejection or put me on the waiting list, but they already knew my gpa before and still offered me an interview. Will they still not accept me because of that?

Hi guys,
I have an interview coming up in February. If it's not too much to ask, can you let me know how the interview is structured? Is it one-on-one, a panel, a walk around?

As far as I know they are struggling to fill seets this year because of the re-accreditation problem they will face in 2021 so if you got wait listed you have nothing to worry about until you graduate from an unaccredited school

Why do you think they will not have their accreditation re-newed?

Due to a decreasing number of people wanting to go there they are forced to get lots of bottom of the barrel students that fail out of their program. To make up for this they make certain classes easier and pass people who actually should be failing. In addition I have heard indirectly from faculty that the chicago campus is going to be shut down after next years class and combine the programs into one where chicago attends classes online. These things combined make it very sketchy to go here and I would choose somewhere else or a different career. Pharmacy is not a good profession like it used to be and all my friends in residency are having trouble finding hospital jobs that they are doing the residency for in the first place. The only way you are finding a job in 3 years is if you work currently. But by that time wages will be 45 per hour. All my friends that got offers from CVS or WAGs are getting 51 per hour and only getting 36 hours per week on average. Wish you all the best but stay away from pharmacy take my word for it I just graduated 250K in debt and I only get 32 hours a week but I am glad I didn’t do residency because their job situation is honestly worse.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a one-on-one interview with a panel. My interview was with (2) people, a pharmacist/professor and a 3rd year student. I've heard in past years there are usually 3 people interviewing, however I think one was out.

Thanks for the info! Do you remember if they asked you about any current events stuff?

Hi guys,
I have an interview coming up in February. If it's not too much to ask, can you let me know how the interview is structured? Is it one-on-one, a panel, a walk around?
I had my interview in September and it was a one-on-one with a current faculty member and a 3rd year student. We were told that they restructured the interviews from having three interviewers to two. The third used to be a preceptor and instead we had a preceptor panel that we could ask them questions without them being in the actual interview. There was also a student panel to ask questions to students without any faculty being in the room.

Wow I just found out half of the interviews they did are people that got rejected from their PT PA OT and speech programs who go recruited because Midwestern is desperate to fill seats. I feel very bad for those students being taken advantage of like that very sad.

Please beware Midwestern 2019 graduates had 30% unemployment rate (Curriculum & Student Life). For comparison, the national unemployment rate is 3.6%. I would avoid this school at all cost, as obviously they do not prepare their students properly for today's competitive job market. The last thing you want to do is waste 3 years of your life and put yourself hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt just to be jobless.

that was for chicago, glendale was even worse my friend

Due to a decreasing number of people wanting to go there they are forced to get lots of bottom of the barrel students that fail out of their program. To make up for this they make certain classes easier and pass people who actually should be failing. In addition I have heard indirectly from faculty that the chicago campus is going to be shut down after next years class and combine the programs into one where chicago attends classes online. These things combined make it very sketchy to go here and I would choose somewhere else or a different career. Pharmacy is not a good profession like it used to be and all my friends in residency are having trouble finding hospital jobs that they are doing the residency for in the first place. The only way you are finding a job in 3 years is if you work currently. But by that time wages will be 45 per hour. All my friends that got offers from CVS or WAGs are getting 51 per hour and only getting 36 hours per week on average. Wish you all the best but stay away from pharmacy take my word for it I just graduated 250K in debt and I only get 32 hours a week but I am glad I didn’t do residency because their job situation is honestly worse.
Do share more??

Do share more??
I am also interested in anybody sharing more about the school since I was granted admission into the Chicago College of Pharmacy at Midwestern University. I am currently in the midst of deciding whether I will be attending. I would very much love to be a pharmacist, however, I am hearing some bad things about the school. Has anyone else heard bad things about the school? Is it true that the school's accreditation has been discontinued (Midwestern University – Chicago College of Pharmacy – Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (acpe-accredit.org)? If the school is unaccredited when I graduate, does that mean I will not be able to sit for board examinations and therefore will not be able to practice as a pharmacist even if I graduate? Is it true that they are merging the two pharmacy campuses into one and the Chicago students will be taking their courses online? Lastly, does anyone know roughly what percentage of upcoming graduates have secured jobs (I believe that for the class of 2019, 70% of Chicago graduates were able to secure employment: Curriculum & Student Life | Doctor of Pharmacy - Midwestern University)?

Any input from anyone (especially current students) on the above questions would be greatly appreciated!!!!