Midwestern CCP FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrat024

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you applying for or have applied for financial aid at MWU-CCP, do we need to list parental info on the FAFSA? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that you have to, I just don't remember where I saw it. I am 29 and married and therefore independent on my income tax, if that matters. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For all of you applying for or have applied for financial aid at MWU-CCP, do we need to list parental info on the FAFSA? I could have sworn that I read somewhere that you have to, I just don't remember where I saw it. I am 29 and married and therefore independent on my income tax, if that matters. Thanks

i don't think u do... after you graduate from college.. ur independent...

i didn't, but then i read somewhere that if you are a health student, no matter your age you need your parents' info. yeah, i'm going to exclude that...they can come yell at me later if i need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a graduate student or just born before January 1, 1985, you are considered independent. Just answer the online FAFSA questions properly, and you should receive a message that you don't have to put in your parent's info.

I think what you might have read was a specific loan for Health graduate students, called Health Professions Student Loan. This loan does require your parent's income tax returns for eligibility regardless of age, independent status, marital status... If you just apply for the regular fafsa loans, you are considered independent and do not need your parent's tax returns (just yours and your spouses).

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/dsa/sfag/health_professions/bk1prt1.htm

Chapter 3: Section 2

"2) PARENTS' FINANCIAL INFORMATIONBeginning with the 1993-94 academic year, all graduate students will be considered independent according to the need analysis formula in Title IV of the Higher Education Act. Nonetheless, institutions still must take parents' information into account for the purpose of awarding HPSL funds. This requirement cannot be waived. In cases where the parents refuse to provide income information, an affidavit documenting such a refusal cannot be accepted in lieu of the required information. Unless the parents are deceased, a student who does not provide parental income information may not be considered for HPSL funds."