MidWestern CCP or CPG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrispycow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm not sure which school to attend out of the two MidWesterns. Any input would be helpful. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get accepted to both?

I wouldn't go to either since they're both so expensive and not really known schools. But if I had a choice, I would choose CCP. It's closer and it's somewhat near Chicago...you actually would have something to do. I wouldn't want to live near Glendale. Do you have any other choices? Both are going to have pretty much the same curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan to work in retail, either school is fine.

Yes I have been accepted to both. I have recently done a few more interviews and will be hearing back from University of Colorado, UOP, and USC shortly.

I have a pretty strong feeling about getting into UC Denver, but are not sure about the CA schools since it's so hard these days.

If I only got into UC Denver from my recent interviews would UC Denver trump both MidWesterns? Ideas?

I'm from CA and would really want to stay if I got in, but just looking out for my other options.

If you get in to Colorado, go there. It is much better to go to a place like that with so many opportunities. If you don't, pick CCP. Glendale/Phoenix is not a very fun place to live in the summers when it is 115 degrees outside. One time, my debit card melted to my emergency brake.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input! Have recently received an acceptance from UC Denver. Choices choices. Any more feedback would be helpful!!!

Thanks!!

I was accepted to both and had a hard time deciding. I chose CCP because its closer to home and The Chi. Winters are only horrible for 3 months out of the year then everything is great there after. I would choose a school you think you would be most happy at. The reason I decided not to attend CPG is the location. I figured, if I could potentially have no social life and be consumed with school work, I would rather do that closer to friends and family then another state knowing 0 people. Up to you! Good luck!

quick question guys, why do a lot of people say "if you plan on working retail, go to midwestern"

i've seen this quite a few times already, and just wanted to know what it was about.

Some schools have better connections and opportunities in obtaining residency positions if you so desire. I have heard that some schools educate you in a manner that may be beneficial to your success in a particular residency. I don't know how accurate these descriptions are because, most people from certain schools can only vouch for their school right? From what I understand about residency is that grades are very important.

I was accepted to both and had a hard time deciding. I chose CCP because its closer to home and The Chi. Winters are only horrible for 3 months out of the year then everything is great there after. I would choose a school you think you would be most happy at. The reason I decided not to attend CPG is the location. I figured, if I could potentially have no social life and be consumed with school work, I would rather do that closer to friends and family then another state knowing 0 people. Up to you! Good luck!

Unforunately I don't know anyone in both states. I think I have decided to decline CPG, but am still between Univ. of Colorado and CCP. I heard that Chicago has extremes of heat too is that correct?

Also not sure if I want to be shoveling a lot of snow off my car and dealing with the traffic. How long does it take to get to Chicago from Downers Grove including the traffic?

I personally think that living in Chicago would be a lot more exciting, but I'm not sure how much free time I will actually have to enjoy it. Colorado on the other hand has completely new facitilies, is better ranked, and will also be cheaper after I obtain state residency.

Thanks for all your input guys. Sigh really tough decisions =/

the glendale campus is a 3 year-round accelerated program in comparison to the 4 year traditional route; both schools are quite prestigious;

Prestigious to whom? I live in Illinois and I didn't even know Midwestern existed until I started applying to pharmacy school. What exactly is your definition of prestigious? Most of the people I know from Illinois use Midwestern CCP as an alternative when they don't get accepted to their cheaper more known in-state school. If your definition of prestigious is accepting more students and taking more out of state students(at a higher tuition rate), then yeah Midwestern is very prestigious.

Last edited:
Prestigious to whom? I live in Illinois and I didn't even know Midwestern existed until I started applying to pharmacy school. What exactly is your definition of prestigious? Most of the people I know from Illinois use Midwestern CCP as an alternative when they don't get accepted to their cheaper more known in-state school. If your definition of prestigious is accepting more students and taking more out of state students(at a higher tuition rate), then yeah Midwestern is very prestigious.

Two of my friends and myself turned down UIC for MWU. We are outliers I suppose. I believe CCP has been around for over 9 years now. Clearly, money is your only reasoning to choosing a school. Most people have chosen the costly MWU because they have happier students. There is a lot that goes into peoples decision. Don't be ignorant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two of my friends and myself turned down UIC for MWU. We are outliers I suppose. I believe CCP has been around for over 9 years now. Clearly, money is your only reasoning to choosing a school. Most people have chosen the costly MWU because they have happier students. There is a lot that goes into peoples decision. Don't be ignorant.

All of these schools are good schools. It's not like I'm putting Midwestern down, I just don't agree with the statement that Midwestern is a prestigious program when compared to others, as I think plenty of schools are considered more "prestigious". When I think of the word prestigious, I think of schools that are known nationally, are ranked and have a curriculum that will give you a slight advantage in applying for possible residencies. From what I got from my interview at Midwestern, they pretty much schedule everything for you and kind of baby the student to be prepared to go straight into retail after graduation. Once again, that's not a putdown for going into retail, I would just like other options after school.

Yo docs, are you going to Midwestern for sure? Was that your first choice?

All of these schools are good schools. It's not like I'm putting Midwestern down, I just don't agree with the statement that Midwestern is a prestigious program when compared to others, as I think plenty of schools are considered more "prestigious". When I think of the word prestigious, I think of schools that are known nationally, are ranked and have a curriculum that will give you a slight advantage in applying for possible residencies. From what I got from my interview at Midwestern, they pretty much schedule everything for you and kind of baby the student to be prepared to go straight into retail after graduation. Once again, that's not a putdown for going into retail, I would just like other options after school.

Yo docs, are you going to Midwestern for sure? Was that your first choice?

Ok, I can see where you are coming from and I agree with you for the most part. MWU was my first choice, because I wanted to stay close to home. I did my undergrad at UIC and have lived in the medical district. It is kind of depressing and I really did not want to spend another 4 years there. I had already lived in the city throughout my undergrad and decided MWU would be a nice change of pace and scenery. MWU will end up costing me 44k more at the end of the day =/ That's a lot of money, but I already have a potential partnership in an independent pharmacy :xf:

I believe CCP has been around for over 9 years now.

Midwestern has been around since 1991, so 19 years and counting... As far as Midwestern being community pharmacy orientated I can tell you that is not true, especially with the new curriculum. Clinical aspects are being integrated much earlier in the curriculum now. Having just completed my 1st clinical rotation, I can tell you that I did well and felt confident in my abilities to interact with fellows, residents and clinical pharmacists on rounds and in everyday topic discussions. The other thing is, people might say that Midwestern in Retail-based because the fact is many graduates go into retail practice with class sizes over 200. However, you are given the opportunity to pursue what interests you via clinical orgs (ACCP, ICHP, etc..) at MWU. If you want any other perspectives feel free to PM me as I usually only get on here weekly.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Midwestern has been around since 1991, so 19 years and counting... As far as Midwestern being community pharmacy orientated I can tell you that is not true, especially with the new curriculum. Clinical aspects are being integrated much earlier in the curriculum now. Having just completed my 1st clinical rotation, I can tell you that I did well and felt confident in my abilities to interact with fellows, residents and clinical pharmacists on rounds and in everyday topic discussions. The other thing is, people might say that Midwestern in Retail-based because the fact is many graduates go into retail practice with class sizes over 200. However, you are given the opportunity to pursue what interests you via clinical orgs (ACCP, ICHP, etc..) at MWU. If you want any other perspectives feel free to PM me as I usually only get on here weekly.

Good luck with your decision!

I thought the college of pharmacy was only 9 years old? I guess I read wrong. Oh, what do you think about the pharmacy fraternities at MWU? I am thinking about joining one.

Did you not apply to any other schools? CCP is terrible, I speak from experience.

Glad you asked. First, I have no idea how CPG works so my comments only pertain to CCP. CCP works on the quarter system, so if you're content being a retail pharmacist this school is for you. I say this because we are not learning but rather regurgitating. I feel that a semester system (or at least a system where students can retain information) would better suit a profession that handles the well being of others. I personally don't think UIC students perform better on rotations because they're smarter, I think they perform better because they simply have more time to retain information. Just a thought. Next, I think that CCP is a money hungry institution comparable to many Caribbean medical schools. Although CCP claims "not for profit," one has to wonder where exactly our ever expanding tuition fees are going toward? Sure our campus is nice and well groomed, but does that seriously constitute a $30,000 bill each year? I personally don't think so, and if you matriculate you will most likely share my opinion. There are so many other things wrong with this university (lack of research opportunities/laboratories, study facilities, ignorant professors, oblivious administration, etc.) but unfortunately I have to study for an exam and don't have time to go more in depth. MWU has absolutely killed any desire for me to want to become a pharmacist. I'm spending this summer studying for the MCAT.

Glad you asked. First, I have no idea how CPG works so my comments only pertain to CCP. CCP works on the quarter system, so if you're content being a retail pharmacist this school is for you. I say this because we are not learning but rather regurgitating. I feel that a semester system (or at least a system where students can retain information) would better suit a profession that handles the well being of others. I personally don't think UIC students perform better on rotations because they're smarter, I think they perform better because they simply have more time to retain information. Just a thought. Next, I think that CCP is simply a money hungry institution comparable to many Caribbean medical schools. Although CCP claims "not for profit," one has to wonder where exactly our ever expanding tuition fees are going toward? Sure our campus is nice and well groomed, but does that seriously constitute a $30,000 bill each year? I personally don't think so, and if you matriculate you will most likely share my opinion. There are so many other things wrong with this university (lack of research opportunities/laboratories, study facilities, ignorant professors, oblivious administration, etc.) but unfortunately I have to study for an exam and don't have time to go more in depth. MWU has absolutely killed any desire for me to want to become a pharmacist. I'm spending this summer studying for the MCAT.

Thanks for the insight. I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience at MWU. I'm trying to stay optimistic. So you dropped from the program and decided to pursue medicine?

Glad you asked. First, I have no idea how CPG works so my comments only pertain to CCP. CCP works on the quarter system, so if you're content being a retail pharmacist this school is for you. I say this because we are not learning but rather regurgitating. I feel that a semester system (or at least a system where students can retain information) would better suit a profession that handles the well being of others. I personally don't think UIC students perform better on rotations because they're smarter, I think they perform better because they simply have more time to retain information. Just a thought. Next, I think that CCP is a money hungry institution comparable to many Caribbean medical schools. Although CCP claims "not for profit," one has to wonder where exactly our ever expanding tuition fees are going toward? Sure our campus is nice and well groomed, but does that seriously constitute a $30,000 bill each year? I personally don't think so, and if you matriculate you will most likely share my opinion. There are so many other things wrong with this university (lack of research opportunities/laboratories, study facilities, ignorant professors, oblivious administration, etc.) but unfortunately I have to study for an exam and don't have time to go more in depth. MWU has absolutely killed any desire for me to want to become a pharmacist. I'm spending this summer studying for the MCAT.

Your comment on "ignorant professors" goes against everything that CCP represents at the interview; CCP prides itself for having professors who not only care about their students' academics but also their well-being...so it's a downer to hear that it's not really true from a student himself. Do u mind sharing why you think their professors are ignorant?

Also, I'm not sure how much more difficult it is to learn on the quarter system at CCP...but all the UC's in CA except Cal are on the quarter system, and I feel most of us did fine. Can any former UC student who's a current CCP student comment on any major differences between the two quarter systems?

Your comment on "ignorant professors" goes against everything that CCP represents at the interview; CCP prides itself for having professors who not only care about their students' academics but also their well-being...so it's a downer to hear that it's not really true from a student himself. Do u mind sharing why you think their professors are ignorant?

Also, I'm not sure how much more difficult it is to learn on the quarter system at CCP...but all the UC's in CA except Cal are on the quarter system, and I feel most of us did fine. Can any former UC student who's a current CCP student comment on any major differences between the two quarter systems?

You are always going to have happy and unhappy students. During my CCP visit I attended a couple lectures and talked with a lot of students, all of which were extremely happy and satisfied with MWU pharmacy program. It's what you make of it really.

You are always going to have happy and unhappy students. During my CCP visit I attended a couple lectures and talked with a lot of students, all of which were extremely happy and satisfied with MWU pharmacy program. It's what you make of it really.

I agree, it is what you make of it. Maybe I just expected something different. I know many of my classmates who really enjoy MWU and an equal amount who are in a similar school of though as myself. If you truly enjoyed your visit to MWU and were impressed by what their program had to offer, you will more likely than not enjoy your next 3-4 years in Downers Grove. My parents discouraged me from attending an out of state school and MWU was the only in state school I was accepted to so I really had no other option (this probably explains my bitterness ;). As for the comment about ignorant professors... I think that there are several brilliant professors on campus who truly enjoy teaching, but I think most of them are in the college of medicine (read: pharmacology, biochem, physio, microbio, etc.). Unfortunately, professors who teach core pharmacy practice courses such as pk, therapeutics, med chem, etc. are in my opinion extremely limited. Some just don't have the skill set to be a professor, and others are simply pharmacists hired to read slides. MWU has the money to hire better pharmacy profs. I don't see why they don't do it.

I agree, it is what you make of it. Maybe I just expected something different. I know many of my classmates who really enjoy MWU and an equal amount who are in a similar school of though as myself. If you truly enjoyed your visit to MWU and were impressed by what their program had to offer, you will more likely than not enjoy your next 3-4 years in Downers Grove. My parents discouraged me from attending an out of state school and MWU was the only in state school I was accepted to so I really had no other option (this probably explains my bitterness ;). As for the comment about ignorant professors... I think that there are several brilliant professors on campus who truly enjoy teaching, but I think most of them are in the college of medicine (read: pharmacology, biochem, physio, microbio, etc.). Unfortunately, professors who teach core pharmacy practice courses such as pk, therapeutics, med chem, etc. are in my opinion extremely limited. Some just don't have the skill set to be a professor, and others are simply pharmacists hired to read slides. MWU has the money to hire better pharmacy profs. I don't see why they don't do it.

I graduated from CCP a few years ago and 100% disagree with everything you've said. The pharmacy faculty are great and would go out of their way to help a student succeed.

Your comment on the quarter system makes no sense how it pertains to retail pharmacy. I know many people who graduated from CCP, myself included, that have gone on to residency and clinical positions. The quarter system isn't too bad. It breaks up the information into smaller sections, instead of having just one big midterm and final.

i went on a day when it was raining so i didn't get a thorough tour of the campus.

there's lots of trees. definitely more than the 2 trees in my undergrad :p
there's geese crap everywhere

the buildings look really brand new.

we didn't get a financial aid presentation - i think they were afraid the cost would shock us silly

there's a large Caucasian student population. it recommended me a lot of loyola university to be honest