pharm_girl

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
How many are planning to take the elective about medication management in primary and secondary schools? How was that class for those that have taken it? I was planning on the compounding elective, but I think I'll take it when I'm a PS2. It's such a long class and I even though I heard it was better than Dosage Lab, I'm not sure. For those that have taken the compounding elective, are we really there for the whole time? It's from 12:10 through 5 pm.

Also, how do you guys feel about the Spring schedule? Less exams, but harder classes. I'm really nervous about starting therapeutics! And also drug structure, drug literature evaluation, microbiology, biopharmaceutics, and the micro lab. I wonder why we have to be in lab twice a week? Hard lab? Any advice and info will be helpful. Thanks!

CuriousPharmD

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
CHI-TOWN!!
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
my advice is to take the compounding class now right after you took the dosage class since it will be fresh in your mind. both electives are easy, so that shouldnt be a factor. the med. mngt. class will be offered again during spring of your 2nd year too. dont worry about not having enough time to study for your thursday exams, since you wont normally stay there till 5 for compounding, its up to you when you finish by how fast you go.
as far as req. classes, therapeutics and micro are FAR BEYOND the hardest 2 classes, the other classes are easy As. my advice is to always keep up with therapeutics and micro the whole quarter to make it easier. last year HALF (not exaggerrated) the class failed the micro exam on specific bugs (bacteria).

pharm_girl

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Thanks for the advice, CuriousPharmD! How bad is the Micro labs? We have that lab twice a week.

The compounding elective is on Wednesdays until 5, but I will also have the micro lab on Thursdays until 5 with Friday morning exams. That's why I was worried about taking the compounding lab. But that's good to hear that we won't be in lab for the whole time depending on the pace we work at. The labs weren't that bad though, right? Compared to Dosage Lab?

Thanks for the advice on Micro and Therapeutics...I will try to keep up with those two especially.

About the Ads

KARM12

15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
East
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Micro lab is a joke...you get out early a lot. I actually thought Micro was pretty easy....comparable to immunology/biochem...the same blunt memorization.

I didn't take either of those electives so I can't help ya there.

Therapeutics is the most difficult...but once you learn how to study for those exams you'll be ok. The hardest part is that there are like 10 different instructors for the course, each teaching a different topic. The topics are kinda random the first quarter...unlike in future therapeutics classes where they tie in better. Drug structure and Drug lit are both super easy.

pharm_girl

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
Thanks Karm12 and CuriousPharmD! I feel better about the Spring quarter now!

WishUponAPharmD

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
How is the work load/study load. Is it harder than Fall and Winter? I am taking the medication management elective and working every Saturday for 8 hours at Osco so I feel like that doens't leave me much time to study. I'm thinking about dropping the elective so I can use that time to study since I have to work on Saturdays. Unless, the study load isn't that bad for spring, I can keep the elective and work too?

How are the full-time rotations going, by the way?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.