Midwestern Chicago VS Shenandoah University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucandoitchintu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I have been accepted to both of this universities.
I have to make a final decision this week.
I am not sure which one will benefit me in the long run.
Can I get some suggestions?

My criteria:
1. Tuition Cost (Scholarship available?)
2. Location - City preferred
3. Special programs?
4. Diversity
5. Weather

If anyone can suggest some points, it will help me make a better decision.
My next four years of life could be in Shenandoah or Chicago...Big Decision, as I currently attend UT Austin.

Members don't see this ad.

Friends,

I have been accepted to both of this universities.
I have to make a final decision this week.
I am not sure which one will benefit me in the long run.
Can I get some suggestions?

My criteria:
1. Tuition Cost (Scholarship available?)
2. Location - City preferred
3. Special programs?
4. Diversity
5. Weather

My next four years of life could be in Shenandoah or Chicago...Big Decision, as I currently attend UT Austin.

based on your #2 criteria alone, i would choose CCP. I interviewed in Shenandoah and while it was a great school with a great program, it was in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure you already know this.

I've visited Chicago more than 5 times now and although the weather sucks, the city is really nice.

I am an unbiased, californian opinion. ccp sounds more like your choice.

I agree. CCP is in a good location, but it's up to you because different people have different personal preferences.

Members don't see this ad :)

In case you didn't already know, at CCP you can do your fourth year rotations out-of-state anywhere, but at Shenandoah I'm pretty sure you can only do them in the regional area. So if you'd like to go back to Austin at some point you might choose CCP.

Also, the weather is about the same: COLD.

Thank You, that helps.
My confusion is the PharmD / MBA program.
Does it really make a difference?

I can only provide info for Midwestern CCP:

1. Tuition. At Midwestern, tuition alone is 37,000 per year. This includes their technology fee (for a laptop) and health insurance. It does NOT include living expenses/dorm/room and board.

2. Location. It's a 30-45 minute drive to Chicago so having a big city nearby is nice :)

Its location is pretty limited to other things although I didn't really venture too far off to make this a definitive answer. When I went to interview, I had to take public transportation (PACE) to the downtown area in order to board Metra back to Chicago. Their downtown is fairly small, as expected. They have misc. stores and such and there was a Starbucks.

3. I don't know anything

4. When I went to interview, it appeared to be very diverse. It's essentially a health field school so you will see people everywhere in scrubs. It definitely consists of more out of state students than, say, a public school in Illinois. Everyone seemed very friendly.

One thing I found particularly interesting was that some of the classes are grouped together with med students. I think it was biochem. The lecture room where that grouped session is held actually blocks cell phone and wifi signal. They do this to prevent people from being distracted by their gadgets, which is acceptable in my opinion

5. Weather is pretty crazy. Harsh winters. It will eventually grow on you :) I'll also like to add there's a lot of goose poop everywhere. Perhaps that should be a weather condition... :p

Downtown is only a 25 minute drive and Downers grove and surrounding suburbs has every store you can think of. There are two major malls within 10 minute driving distance from the University.

Thank You, that helps.
My confusion is the PharmD / MBA program.
Does it really make a difference?

Depends where you want to work. Since the majority of PharmD graduates go into retail, I'd say no. If you want to work for corporate America, or potentially own your own business, It would be a great thing. I had considered it for a while.

Actually, Shenandoah offers the MBA, but at a cost. You have to apply for it, I believe during P2. You have to write an essay and interview with the dean. It's a long process and I don't know how competitive it is.

Thanks for the Info.
That does help ease some tension.
I have to make the final decision by tomorrow.
men, I don't know what to do!

I actaullyy picked Shenandoah over Midwestern for a few reasons. First, the tuition played a major part for me. A lot cheaper at Shenandoah. Also, the staff felt very welcoming and they are reputable staff members and the atmosphere was great for me. The weather will be cold but not as cold as Chicago. Only downside is that Winchester might not have much to do but they are roughly about an hour drive to DC. Which is not that bad but I really like the outdoors and Virginia is a beautiful place for that. Shenandoah has scholarships available. I'm actually going to call the financial aid person tomorrow and see which ones I can apply for. Just my two cents! I believe they both are great schools non the less!

I actaullyy picked Shenandoah over Midwestern for a few reasons. First, the tuition played a major part for me. A lot cheaper at Shenandoah. Also, the staff felt very welcoming and they are reputable staff members and the atmosphere was great for me. The weather will be cold but not as cold as Chicago. Only downside is that Winchester might not have much to do but they are roughly about an hour drive to DC. Which is not that bad but I really like the outdoors and Virginia is a beautiful place for that. Shenandoah has scholarships available. I'm actually going to call the financial aid person tomorrow and see which ones I can apply for. Just my two cents! I believe they both are great schools non the less!

Also FYI you can drive to the Ashburn campus (free parking) and take the free shuttle to Foggy Bottom in DC.

Edit: hmm I assume this is for all Shenandoah students but it could just be the ones at Ashburn

I also chose Shenandoah over Midwestern (Glendale). I want to live in a quiet town so that I can study better. I'm tired of traffic and the city life.

I wanted to bump this thread and see if there are any more thoughts about the two schools. I'm deciding between the Ashburn campus and Midwestern CCP.

I met some of the mw chicago faculty at APhA. From what I learned from those conversations, I would go there ;) if you want to talk to a faculty member directly, let me know.