Midwestern CPG has bad rap...WHY???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az_drugdlr

PharmD Candidate 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know why CPG has such a bad name on the street. I've been accepted, and it seems like a decent school. But for some reason, everyone seems to roll their eyes when I mention Midwestern...

I won't take offense to any comments made by people who oppose Midwestern, so please be honest! I just need to know if it's going to be the right program for me...

Thanks for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about Glendale, but I have a question about your PCAT score. Why did you only list your chemistry and writing scores? lol

Anybody know why CPG has such a bad name on the street. I've been accepted, and it seems like a decent school. But for some reason, everyone seems to roll their eyes when I mention Midwestern...

I won't take offense to any comments made by people who oppose Midwestern, so please be honest! I just need to know if it's going to be the right program for me...

Thanks for you help!

Really? What have you heard?

My sister went to that school and she really liked it.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I have an interview this coming FRI and I really don't think I have a shot because my stats are so average and I'm interviewing sort of late in the cycle, I guess I'm just hoping for the best..

edit: nvm I just saw your sig.. do you have a BS? I'm guessing my chances are low since I'm nowhere near a 3.9 and my PCAT is only in the low 80's

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont give up on CPG yet! I got accepted with lower stats. My GPA is 3.4 and my PCAT is 80. Just focus on doing well on your interview! I loved the school but I also got acceptance from my top choice (UNC) so i will be giving up my spot at CPG (if that makes u feel any better)!! good luck on your interview!

Midwestern only has a bad rap at U of A because many U of A students have a superiority complex because of how long their school has been around. I actually know a lot of residencies who won't consider U of A graduates because they don't want to deal with the attitude. The program is decent and you get from the program what you put in. If you are consciencious and a go-getter, you will get a lot out of it and be a great pharmacist. I know many great pharmacists with degrees from MWU-CPG. I intend to be one of them.

Really? What have you heard?

My sister went to that school and she really liked it.

Do you mind sharing your stats? I have an interview this coming FRI and I really don't think I have a shot because my stats are so average and I'm interviewing sort of late in the cycle, I guess I'm just hoping for the best..

edit: nvm I just saw your sig.. do you have a BS? I'm guessing my chances are low since I'm nowhere near a 3.9 and my PCAT is only in the low 80's

I don't have a BS. I'm sure you'll be fine. My advice would be to enjoy the interview. There's a lot of free time, and they tell you do whatever you want... Get to know the applicants. Go play some foosball in the cafeteria. Enjoy it!

So, does your sister feel that Midwestern REALLY prepared her well to be a pharmacist? Why does she think they have a bad reputation? Thanks!

I don't have a BS. I'm sure you'll be fine. My advice would be to enjoy the interview. There's a lot of free time, and they tell you do whatever you want... Get to know the applicants. Go play some foosball in the cafeteria. Enjoy it!

So, does your sister feel that Midwestern REALLY prepared her well to be a pharmacist? Why does she think they have a bad reputation? Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up ! =)

My sister passed her boards with flying colors so Midwestern must have done something right.. but then again she says that there was nothing for her to do there so all she did was study and stay indoors because the weather is so hot. She is now a practicing pharmacist (retail). And I don't think she ever mentioned it having a bad reputation. I think maybe it just isn't as well recognized because it isn't a large state school like U of A which probably gets tons of government funding.

this is a great school with great faculty. some preceptors may have the impression that mwu-cpg is a bad school because of some of the students who come to their rotation sites. some students are lazy or are incompetent to practice pharmacy. sadly, there are people here that really don't care about the profession and are here for the money. there are slackers in any group.

i don't know anything about u of a, but it seems they have a program more attuned to the industry because they have been around longer.

the preceptors i have worked under think the school is great, so it's a contrast to what you've stated.

I agree with blueclassring.

I used to be a tech that worked for a staffing agency and was sent to all sorts of pharmacies. I've heard stories of students on rotation that couldn't answer simple questions without a PDA. Others had no pharmacy experience whatsoever and didn't have a clue on how things worked on their first rotation. The ones that are here because they love pharmacy and the money is just an added bonus will help to mitigate the school, I believe.

i better start paying attention in integrated sequence next quarter....

I was wondering the same thing myself, I have been accepted to UofA and Midwestern and am a little unsure of what I am going to do, If I had to decide today I would chose UofA and probably will in the long run. I currently work with 2 Midwestern graduates and have worked with many others, and after talkking to them all about what to do over the last few days they all seem to agree that I should go to UofA, they all said they would have if they had the option, but they did not really give me any reasons as to why they would make that desicion, they pretty much agreed that UofA is great school, which is the reason they would have rather attended there rather than Midwestern I guess....

If I had the choice between UofA and MWU-CPG I would choose UofA strictly based on the location. Tucson is a much cooler area than Glendale.

What's Glendale like? I used to live in Tucson but I never really hung out in Phoenix much. Nobody from Tucson spoke highly of Phoenix anyway, they all thought it's like a wannabe L.A. I have a interview at CPG in a week and was wondering if there's cool spots there.

What's Glendale like? I used to live in Tucson but I never really hung out in Phoenix much. Nobody from Tucson spoke highly of Phoenix anyway, they all thought it's like a wannabe L.A. I have a interview at CPG in a week and was wondering if there's cool spots there.

Glendale i think is surburbia.
I haven't been to tucson.
Phoenix is a boring city.

Yet I love AZ. It's a beautiful state. We go hiking everytime we're there. (I'm from Chicago---which is perhaps why Phoenix looks boring to me)

If you ask me, I think that the Phoenix-Metro area is WAY better than Tucson. No offense to those who prefer Tucson, but most of it, even remotely near campus, anyway, is basically a dump. Not to bash on it or anything, but this is just my experience. Especially near campus, housing is rediculously expensive, and it's all old and junky and in a bad area.

On the other hand, Glendale (especially around the MWU campus) is all nice and new. I think it's rather pleasant, although I haven't lived there ever. I think there's definitely a lot more to do in the Phoenix area than in Tucson. And even though there's more visible smog in Phoenix (like...a LOT), Tucson always seems to be the city that literally smells like crap. I don't know what it is about the air down here, but it STINKS!

When I'm done with school, I'm definitely not planning on making Tucson my permanent residence.

Not meant to offend anyone, but that's my two cents. :rolleyes:

If you ask me, I think that the Phoenix-Metro area is WAY better than Tucson. No offense to those who prefer Tucson, but most of it, even remotely near campus, anyway, is basically a dump. Not to bash on it or anything, but this is just my experience. Especially near campus, housing is rediculously expensive, and it's all old and junky and in a bad area.

On the other hand, Glendale (especially around the MWU campus) is all nice and new. I think it's rather pleasant, although I haven't lived there ever. I think there's definitely a lot more to do in the Phoenix area than in Tucson. And even though there's more visible smog in Phoenix (like...a LOT), Tucson always seems to be the city that literally smells like crap. I don't know what it is about the air down here, but it STINKS!

When I'm done with school, I'm definitely not planning on making Tucson my permanent residence.

Not meant to offend anyone, but that's my two cents. :rolleyes:

My friend graduated from UofA and now graduates from Midwestern in June. She told me she'd never go back to Tuscon.
I live about 5 minutes from Glendale campus, I like it here. Campus from what I have seen looks nice.

If Midwestern CPG has such as bad rep then howcome many people I see in this forum applied and some accepted their offer?

If Midwestern CPG has such as bad rep then howcome many people I see in this forum applied and some accepted their offer?

It doesn't have a bad rep. I've been visiting this board for years and this is the first I've heard of it.

Maybe it's just a topic of conversation in AZ, since the school is in AZ. However, I've talked to at least 30 completely independent sources (students, pharmacists, pre-pharms, etc.) who have heard that. I've also talked to several who feel it is a good program. I'm sure any program will give you what you give it (i.e. you get out of it what you put into it). I think a lot of people choose MWU because it is a three-year program, which is very attractive, I'll admit! :)

The people that I have talked to say that because it is an accelerated program, and they have 2 tests every week, means that they are constantly craming and many students are not able to retain alot of information that is relavent in practice. Many of the pharmacists I have talked to say that the majority of students that come through on rotations and or work at their stores as interns do not seem to have a solid foundation to draw from, thus the reason to pull out the palm pilot everychance they get to answer a question. Some of the people that have told me this are midwestern graduates, and most I have had the chance to interact with say that they wish they would have choose a different school, for the debt factor when they are done and several have stated that they felt they may have got a better education at a 4 year college....just a few thoughts others have told me...