Midwestern CPG vs Creighton (distance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm.sd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently live in southern California and was wondering what people's thoughts were between these two programs. I would love to stay in CA but pharmacists and interns are scaring me, saying that I will be looked down upon for attending an online program and would not be able to find a job afterwards (but I've been reading great opinions from current Creighton students on SDN). I also love the 3 year aspect of Midwestern, especially because pharmacy is very saturated so getting out a year early might be beneficial, plus an extra year of salary would be nice since both programs are expensive. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Just about myself: I am an independent learner, and the classes I did best in undergrad were the ones I podcasted & only went to class for the tests. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I currently live in southern California and was wondering what people's thoughts were between these two programs. I would love to stay in CA but pharmacists and interns are scaring me, saying that I will be looked down upon for attending an online program and would not be able to find a job afterwards (but I've been reading great opinions from current Creighton students on SDN). I also love the 3 year aspect of Midwestern, especially because pharmacy is very saturated so getting out a year early might be beneficial, plus an extra year of salary would be nice since both programs are expensive. Any thoughts would be helpful!

Just about myself: I am an independent learner, and the classes I did best in undergrad were the ones I podcasted & only went to class for the tests. Thanks for your help!

My guess is people who look down on Creighton's distance program don't really understand it. It is NOT an easier or less challenging option for pharmacy school. I would argue actually that taking a Pharm.D program via distance shows a lot about you as a person: you're good at time management, you're motivated, you're able to manage deadlines without someone standing over your shoulder, etc.

Anyway, the program itself, for those who don't know: you take the EXACT same classes at the exact same time as the students in the traditional pathway. You take the exact same tests on the same day, the only difference may be the start time because of what you set up with your proctor. You have the same amount of time and exams are administered the same way: on their software. You have the same assignments. The ONLY difference is instead of doing your labs at the same time as your traditional pathway classmates, you take them in person during a 2 - 4 week period during the summer, usually closer to 2. In fact Creighton has found that on average, distance pathway have a slightly higher GPA and perform slightly better on the NAPLEX.

That being said, the distance pathway is NOT for everyone because some people cannot learn under online conditions. That doesn't mean they're any less intelligent, but online classes are a different type of learning as you know.

MWU Glendale, on the other hand, is (as you know) a 3 year year round program. They're divided into quarters and each quarter lasts 10 weeks. Again, it's not for everyone because you have to be able to perform under more rigorous conditions.

I'd also like to add that Creighton's distance pathway has been around since 2001. If it's graduates weren't able to find jobs, they would have shut the program down by now.

Reactions: 1 user
My guess is people who look down on Creighton's distance program don't really understand it. It is NOT an easier or less challenging option for pharmacy school. I would argue actually that taking a Pharm.D program via distance shows a lot about you as a person: you're good at time management, you're motivated, you're able to manage deadlines without someone standing over your shoulder, etc.

Anyway, the program itself, for those who don't know: you take the EXACT same classes at the exact same time as the students in the traditional pathway. You take the exact same tests on the same day, the only difference may be the start time because of what you set up with your proctor. You have the same amount of time and exams are administered the same way: on their software. You have the same assignments. The ONLY difference is instead of doing your labs at the same time as your traditional pathway classmates, you take them in person during a 2 - 4 week period during the summer, usually closer to 2. In fact Creighton has found that on average, distance pathway have a slightly higher GPA and perform slightly better on the NAPLEX.

That being said, the distance pathway is NOT for everyone because some people cannot learn under online conditions. That doesn't mean they're any less intelligent, but online classes are a different type of learning as you know.

MWU Glendale, on the other hand, is (as you know) a 3 year year round program. They're divided into quarters and each quarter lasts 10 weeks. Again, it's not for everyone because you have to be able to perform under more rigorous conditions.

I'd also like to add that Creighton's distance pathway has been around since 2001. If it's graduates weren't able to find jobs, they would have shut the program down by now.

Thank you for your input!! Yea I gathered as much from reading past forums, I really like the Creighton distance pathway and I tried explaining it to my coworkers but to each their own. I've decided that I would go to Creighton if I'm accepted. Hopefully we will be classmates! Good luck on your interview!!

Reactions: 1 user