Midwestern IL vs Western U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohio DDS 2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out which college I should choose. I am from Ohio and I'm very familiar with the Midwest and Chicago area. My concern with Midwestern is it's a brand new school. Western is only 3 years old but it seems most students who go there speak highly of the college. My concern is whether the value of Western is enough to travel across the country for and choose over Midwestern. Which college do you think I should choose?

I'm also waitlisted at Temple and Tufts and I will choose one of those schools if I get into them. Tufts would be my top choice of the bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

well, both schools are considered new. How is the tuition between both schools?

Also depends where you will feel more comfortable at for 4 years.

When were you put on the waitlist at Tufts?

Tuition for both schools are very similar and after all fees they are both in the mid $60,000.

For being comfortable I have friends and my older brother who live in Chicago. I am also very familiar with the Chicago area. However, I do think living in California would be an exciting new experience.

I interviewed at Tufts in the end of February and I was put on the waitlist in early to mid March.

so tuition wouldn't be a problem to choose which school.

Did you put down a deposit at both schools Midwestern-IL and Western? Do you have to make a choice now?

I hope you will hear from Tufts soon if that is your first choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition for both schools are very similar and after all fees they are both in the mid $60,000.

For being comfortable I have friends and my older brother who live in Chicago. I am also very familiar with the Chicago area. However, I do think living in California would be an exciting new experience.

I interviewed at Tufts in the end of February and I was put on the waitlist in early to mid March.

I can't speak for MWU-IL, but I absolutely loved Western. They are a great school, friendly, and seem to really care about their students. I have a friend that goes there, and he loves it (just finished D2). Although I will not be attending Western, I think very highly of it.

With that said, since tuition/fees are roughly the same, have you considered living expenses? I know that Western is pretty expensive (since it's in SoCal). I would think Chicago would also be expensive.

If it came down to it and everything else was the same, I'd go with Western for the weather and three years of experience working out the bugs under their belt. I am not saying anything negative by any means about MWU-IL because it will likely be a great school (and I know hardly anything about it), but I'd go to Western.

i would pick western too, and living expenses are not as high as going to ucla or usc. Rent is actually pretty cheap in that area compared to other parts of socal.

I got into Midwestern Dec. 1st and put down a $1000 deposit. I recently got into Western and they want a decision by May 30th and a deposit of $2000. I have 2 other waitlists, Temple and Tufts which I would choose if I got into. So there's the issue of losing a decent sum of money.

I personally would go where I would be happier and have more of a support system. For you, that looks like it would be MWU-IL. ALso, Midwestern has their AZ campus and so I would consider Western to be newer.. Nonetheless, you should go wherever you think you will not regret your decision.

I got into Midwestern Dec. 1st and put down a $1000 deposit. I recently got into Western and they want a decision by May 30th and a deposit of $2000. I have 2 other waitlists, Temple and Tufts which I would choose if I got into. So there's the issue of losing a decent sum of money.

Although it isn't fun to lose $1000 or $2000, you have to look at the big picture. If MWU-IL is your place, then it's no problem since you have already paid your deposit. If Western is your place, then you eat $1000 and end up at the school you like best. I had to do that, and it wasn't fun, but it was definitely worth it.

In order from #1-#4, if you got into all of those schools, how would you rank them?

#1. Tufts- waitlist
#2. Temple- waitlist
#3. Western
#4. Midwestern

The gap between Western and Midwestern isn't much I just really liked the area and facilities. Tufts is definitely my top choice. I would choose Temple over Western and Midwestern because it has more experience and I believe is in the top 5 among schools in providing clinical experience.