Midwestern Interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdpharmd?

Turning lead into gold
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have Midwestern interviews yet or coming up? I have both IL and AZ in the coming week. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, how they went, etc? Does anyone know how many students are accepted out of the number interviewed?

Thanks in advance,
Jd

Members don't see this ad.

I just had it today.
It was straightforward. Panel of three.
No essay.

What was the interview like? They say in my packet that it's a panel of three and you could either get a faculty member, preceptor and student or a faculty member or two and a preceptor (no student). They stress that it's supposed to be relaxed, but it seems to me that the interviews eliminate 50% of the applicants. Did they ask questions from your application/transcripts or was it more of a "situational type" interview? What was your general feeling of the campus, faculty and students? I'm trying to come up with some intelligent questions to ask, but I have so much information on the college, that it's proving harder than you might think. Thanks for your input! (oh, and I assume you are talking about Glendale, since Downer's Grove has a "campus visit" and not really a formal interview)

Jd

Members don't see this ad :)
Glendale interview was relaxed. If you had any other interview you will be fine. They asked the general interview questions. It was a blind interview. I really liked the school. It's only five years old and the professors seem to be on top of things. For me, only one person really asked me the questions. The other two ( student, preceprotr) were there jotting down notes.

I heard Downer's Grove does do an interview. A fellow interviewer said that he received the letter and D.G. requires you to do a campus visit, and then later go there for an interview. It seems redundant.

The students that were there for the interview was pretty diverse in race and location. All the stidents I talked to had awesome PCAT, (90,88,94,98,99)
They are interviewing 300 students and accept ~150. Total number of students applying was around 600 students. The odds aren't bad (25%) considering schools like University of Pacific in Cali had 1400+ applicants, 400 interviews, 110 spots. (~7% chance)

Hope your interview goes well. AIM me stressstnk if you need more info. This site is pretty slow to load for me, so I don;t check as often.

How was mIdwestern in Downers Grove? I'm going there next weekend.

Midwestern Downers Grove was essentially what they say it is in their letter that you get. It's really just a campus visit, mostly to see the place and meet some of the faculty and admissions staff and the dean. There was a tour and lunch and a very good presentation on financial aid and housing. There were about 50 or so applicants on my day. Most were in-state (I was not). Towards the end there is a "breakout group discussion" like is says in your letter. They just ask everyone to introduce themselves, etc. Then it's kind of an open QandA. It is very relaxed, and nothing to worry about. Some people even wore khakis and nikes. I wore a suit and didn't feel overdressed. Hope I've helped, I know I was nervous when I went, but I really shouldn't have been. The good thing is that they tell you when you will hear from them regrarding their decision and they stick to it. Good luck to the whole MWU crowd (and others)!

Jd

Hmm...Downer's Grove was ok. The staff was friendly but I just didnt like the city. Too bling bling for me. Where are the outside student apartments?

They told me that they would meet again in April as a committee and go over the applicants that interviewed this past week. Once you get an interview the chances seems high.
300 people are invited for the campus visit.
200 people consist of the starting class. So they have to accept more since people apply to UIC.

1000 applied this year.
average gpa 2.9 - 3.1
averpge pcat 50-60% composite.

Originally posted by riskhk
Hmm...Downer's Grove was ok. The staff was friendly but I just didnt like the city. Too bling bling for me. Where are the outside student apartments?

They told me that they would meet again in April as a committee and go over the applicants that interviewed this past week. Once you get an interview the chances seems high.
300 people are invited for the campus visit.
200 people consist of the starting class. So they have to accept more since people apply to UIC.

1000 applied this year.
average gpa 2.9 - 3.1
averpge pcat 50-60% composite.

There are student apartments, they are behind the small wooded area on campus. If you're looking for off campus there are TONS. They are expensive, but you can find one just about anywhere. They had originally told me that they only "interview" 300, but I think that it changed this year. There were 60 people at my IV date, and that was in the beginning of march. I think that they run interviews through May or June, and it looks like once or twice a week. Although I doubt that they will interview more than 500, I think 300 is an old figure.

Since the class of 2007 hasn't been decided on, where did you get your admissions stats? They seem low even for last years class. I know that they had about a thousand applicants for 200 spots, but the ave GPA and PCAT seem low to me. Many people at my interview had a B.S. and 3.0-3.7 GPA with high PCATS. Are you talking about the average GPA and PCAT of students who APPLIED or students who were ACCEPTED?

As far as the town goes, I agree that it is expensive. It's a pretty affluent area, and I expect to be paying around 700/month for a 1 bedroom apt. but that is also what makes it so nice, it's not in the ghetto. Anything that you could possibly want or need is within about a 15 minute drive. I came away from the school with a pretty positive image, and they said that there 2 year average for passing the NAPLEX is in the 98% range. I sent in my deposit last week.

Jd

The statistics that I got was from Dean Mary. She led the small group discussion.

After the small group discussion, the admission lady (some white lady) led a giant discussion concerning the living conditions and other general info. Again I asked her too. She said that they were planning to give out 300 invitations. Like Dean Mary, she also said there were 300 invitations last year and they will most likely not increase the invitations drastically. The average GPA 3.0 is just what it says on the AACP.org web site. She also confirmed the GPA and PCAT scores with us. She said that has been the average for the past 4 years and has not deviated much. These were the average GPA PCAT of the people in the program.

Again I am just regurgitating what was said in the interview. I perceive that the reason the grades might be lower is because alot of the students also applied to UIC pharmacy. There were alot of smart people in my interview too. Alot of them were from UI Urbana. Definately a great school for undergrad.

I didn't have Dr. Lee for my small group discussion, but she did speak to us as "whole". She never mentioned any of that to me, and I certainly wish that she would have! After her little speech to us, it sounded impossible to get in, but 5 days later I got the call and within a few days after that I had sent in my deposit. How many people were in your entire IV group? I know some people going in the middle of April and I was just curious if she mentioned how many people had accepted their invatiations and how much space was left in the class of 2007. I have a few friends who should have no problem getting in with those stats, but their IV's are a little late in the rolling admissions process. Oh, and yes, we did have several people who also applied to UIC in our group. I was very close to applying, but they were very rude when I called them for information regarding their program, so I just skipped it. Anyone heard anything from MWU - Glendale? I would imagine a decision from them is on it's way pretty soon.

Jd