Midwestern University MABS 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! Another update from me :)

Yesterday, I found out I was accepted to the Arizona MABS Program :D

Is there a current FB group for this class?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
also is there an accepted students day or anything or just orientation??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall! I got into the Illinois campus for the MABS program and also got accepted to Touro's MSMHS program. Does anyone have any recommendations or pros/cons about one or the other?

Hi :) Is there a FB group for the MABS group in AZ?

Here is the articulation program for MWU and the professional programs:
At the time of application, students enrolled in a Midwestern University program are guaranteed an admission interview with another Midwestern University program if the student:

1. Is in good standing in the academic program in which the student is currently enrolled or has completed the program within the last 12 months prior to the application and does not have any pending misconduct charges against the student;
  2. Meets all admission requirements for the professional program of interest;
  3. After a minimum of two full-time quarters of study, achieves a minimum Midwestern University grade point average, derived from all courses completed at Midwestern University, that is equal to or greater than 3.0; and
  4. Achieves a score on the professional entrance exam that is not less than one standard deviation below the mean score for students who matriculated into the professional degree program in the previous year.
Note: Students must meet all application deadlines for the professional program of interest. A guaranteed interview does not guarantee admission into the professional program.

The only thing that's uncertain for me is the standard deviation for the mean score part. Like what would that be?

Here is the articulation program for MWU and the professional programs:
At the time of application, students enrolled in a Midwestern University program are guaranteed an admission interview with another Midwestern University program if the student:

1. Is in good standing in the academic program in which the student is currently enrolled or has completed the program within the last 12 months prior to the application and does not have any pending misconduct charges against the student;
  2. Meets all admission requirements for the professional program of interest;
  3. After a minimum of two full-time quarters of study, achieves a minimum Midwestern University grade point average, derived from all courses completed at Midwestern University, that is equal to or greater than 3.0; and
  4. Achieves a score on the professional entrance exam that is not less than one standard deviation below the mean score for students who matriculated into the professional degree program in the previous year.
Note: Students must meet all application deadlines for the professional program of interest. A guaranteed interview does not guarantee admission into the professional program.

The only thing that's uncertain for me is the standard deviation for the mean score part. Like what would that be?
I was told for the downers grove campus that a 506 minimum was the score last year. She said the score never goes down but it could go up to a 507. They won’t know until September because that’s when the class is finalized

I was told for the downers grove campus that a 506 minimum was the score last year. She said the score never goes down but it could go up to a 507. They won’t know until September because that’s when the class is finalized
Wait so the 506 score was the one standard deviation lower than the average?

Yes! So I think the average was a 508 and so the range was 507-509 on the score so they do one less than that to get 506

I think they will be releasing what the actual score or range is in September!
Dang, when do classes start? That's scary not knowing the score, I guess aiming for a 510 is the safest way to really guarantee anything

Dang, when do classes start? That's scary not knowing the score, I guess aiming for a 510 is the safest way to really guarantee anything
perfectly stated! Like we basically should be aiming for one standard deviation of the average is to really lock the acceptance in :) but with all the rigor the program will entail (from reading past threads), a 510 may not be too much of a stretch :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got accepted!

I got accepted today to the IL campus. Is there a fb for this year? I would make one myself but I'm not set on this program yet and would love to speak with you all to get some clarity.

Hi guys! Another update from me :)

Yesterday, I found out I was accepted to the Arizona MABS Program :D

Is there a current FB group for this class?
Hi there! I got my acceptance to the MABS AZ program. Let me know if you've found the FB group. I'd love to connect!

quick question, would we need to get the 507 or above range on the MCAT before the program starts or by December to be considered to have met all the qualifications for the interview?

quick question, would we need to get the 507 or above range on the MCAT before the program starts or by December to be considered to have met all the qualifications for the interview?
You would have to meet it I assume before December, but we don’t know the MCAT until September!

Thank you! So I'll speak on Bridges first, I am in the Osteopathic Bridges Program, I got interviewed in late July-ish and got my acceptance in October. The program is nice and you defintley feel extremely supported, you have constant contact with the deans, and you get many many resources that your peers may not even know about.

In terms of MABS, it is HARD. Like the hardest I have ever worked in my life. I met with my dean, and they told me that Midwestern MABS is one of the hardest SMP compared to almost every other school because of the course load and content. You will be taking medical school level classes whether you are pre-med or pre-dental. With that being said, it is NOT impossible to succeed. All this program needs is your time. In undergrad I studied maybe 2-3 hours a day. In this program I study 8-9 hours every single day. You get used to and you start to see success. Getting a goof GPA is of pivotal importance for both Bridges and for the Matriculation Agreement if you choose to go that route. Overall though, graduating in a few weeks from MABS and starting Medical School in the Fall, I feel extremely prepared. There is not an ounce of nervousness and I am confident I would be able to manage. MABS gave me that, I did not have that confidence before. Additionally, simply stating I was going to Midwestern MABS on my applications granted me so many interviews this cycle. I got way more interviews than last cycle. I certainly recommend applying concurrently with taking this program.

Let me know if you have any other questions happy to help my fellow future colleagues/
Congrats! I was accepted to both the MBS and the MABS programs there. Do you know of anyone from the 2-year MBS program who was able to get into the dental/medical program after finishing the 1st year and not having to do the 2nd year?
Because I know that students would get interviews as long as they meet the matriculation agreement. I'm just not sure if any get accepted.

You would have to meet it I assume before December, but we don’t know the MCAT until September!
thank you for the response! so ideally we would need to have like a 507 range by September since the last test dates for MCAT are in September for 2022 right? sorry if I'm asking the same question

thank you for the response! so ideally we would need to have like a 507 range by September since the last test dates for MCAT are in September for 2022 right? sorry if I'm asking the same question
Yes I think the last MCAT is in September, so definitely would have to take it by then. I’m not sure if 507 is the score you need, they said they wont announce the mcat score needed for the interview until September

Yes I think the last MCAT is in September, so definitely would have to take it by then. I’m not sure if 507 is the score you need, they said they wont announce the mcat score needed for the interview until September
Sorry, I'm still confused. but, since it says this:
does this mean after completing the program if you retook the mcat within the 12-month time frame, got the score they released in September for mcat, and applied to the 2023-2024 medical school cycle, you would still be given the interview as long as all the other requirements are met? I'm just trying to figure out when I should take the mcat again because I do not think these next 2 months will be sufficient enough to raise my mcat score to what they require when they release the score in September... thank you advance for all the help!!

I know its really confusing! You're fine! So here is what I understand from the agreement. You can apply to CCOM/AZCOM while in the program and after you have graduated. You have to meet the MCAT requirements for each year. So if you decide to apply during the program ( which would be right now), the MCAT requirement needed for an interview will be announced in september. I was told that each year its announced in September. Which means the MCAT required for this year might be different next year. The MCAT required for next years interview will be announced next september. So it all depends on when you intend to apply! I hope this helps, feel free to PM!

Hello! I just got into the program for Fall of 2022 and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the program? How is the linkage for the DO school? Thanks :)
Hello there I was wondering if you liked the program and if it helped get into the DO school?

Hey, I got accepted into the MABS program, and I was wondering if anyone could post their experience after completing the program (the good and the bad).
Also, I have a 501 MCAT and want to interview with CCOM so would it be feasible to take the MCAT during the program? Thanks!

Hi, I was accepted to the MABS program for both the AZ and IL locations and was wondering if any previous students could share their experience in the program. Also, is there a group chat for the 2023–24 class? Thanks!

Hey guys,

Current MABS student here. We are about to take finals next week and many of my classmates are still on the waitlist for the schools they are interested in. Most of the class is pre-med or pre-dent looking to get into the medical school or the dental school at MWU AZ. I am going to be really honest here, and I'm sure my classmates can agree. Let me preface this by saying this program is hard. I did well in this program, but it was definitely the hardest school setting I've been in because on top of courses, the student culture is pretty unsupportive and stressful. This program brings out the worst in people and is quite discouraging.

The MA program tells you that there is a strong linkage between their program and AZCOM. However, this is just a way for them to attract students like us. The reality is that there is no "guaranteed" acceptance. The agreement they tell you about is that if you have a 495 MCAT and get a certain GPA, you will get an interview. If you have a 3.4 GPA after the fall quarter, you are offered a winter quarter interview. If you have a 3.1 after the winter quarter, you are offered a spring interview. Sometimes people below this GPA can get interviews too if you have good relationships with your advisors. The general rule of thumb is that if you have at least a 3.0, you'll be given an interview at some point. The problem is that there is absolutely no guarantee you are accepted, even though they tell you this. I am not sure if I would have chosen this program if I had known that since the beginning. I interviewed in early spring for AZCOM, and was placed on the waitlist. When I asked about this, they basically told me that they don't truly guarantee acceptance. They just assume that enough accepted students will choose other medical schools -- so that the MA students can then be pulled off the waitlist. So, as you can imagine, if people hold onto their acceptances, MA students who meet the requirements will not be offered a spot in the AZCOM class. The same goes for the dental, optometry, and PA programs as well. Many of my classmates are on the waitlist for AZCOM now and we have no idea if/when we will be pulled off. They told us they could pull us off the list until the first day of class.

I also want to say that we have had ~50% of our students drop over the course of the program. These are pre-med students who are qualified and very intelligent, so that tells you that this program is definitely difficult. I have had friends in the program that have done poorly on 1-2 exams and been told by advisors to leave. This is ridiculous to me -- people mess up sometimes and life happens. One grade is not indicative of a student's overall intelligence or ability to succeed. Student culture sucks too - people are rude and competitive and shady tbh. It is disappointing and quite isolating in a time when you are already stressed about school and future plans.

For the most part, professors are available to you if you need help and will put in efforts to help you succeed. However, their treatment of you depends on how much they believe in you as a student and your ability to succeed. We have about two exams a week. Most of the time, it is over 8-12 lectures and is mostly multiple choice. There are a few courses/professors who like to ask free response questions. We do not have textbooks, and all our material is from lecture slides. If you can watch/attend lectures and study those slides really well, you will set yourself up for success. Last minute studying doesn't work in this setting, and I learned that the hard way in the beginning. A typical day in the life of an MA student (or even AZCOM students) is overwhelmingly focused on school. Most students in this program study every day for most of the day, even on the weekends.

If you are considering this program, I would urge you to really think about your quality of life and how much importance you place on attending MWU specifically. The MA program is hard, and if you go on to AZCOM its pretty much the same story. The course load is very similar and so is the exam schedule. It is a great taste of how AZCOM will be. But, if you do go onto AZCOM you'll be familiar with the first year of didactic material already, which puts you at an advantage. I would also recommend that you try to do research or shadowing while you go to school here, most likely during our breaks. For those of you who need to take the MCAT again, I do not know of anyone who took it during the program. I know a few classmates who are scheduled to take the MCAT in June after graduation, and they will send their scores to AZCOM in the summer when they get them back.

Hey guys,

Current MABS student here. We are about to take finals next week and many of my classmates are still on the waitlist for the schools they are interested in. Most of the class is pre-med or pre-dent looking to get into the medical school or the dental school at MWU AZ. I am going to be really honest here, and I'm sure my classmates can agree. Let me preface this by saying this program is hard. I did well in this program, but it was definitely the hardest school setting I've been in because on top of courses, the student culture is pretty unsupportive and stressful. This program brings out the worst in people and is quite discouraging.

The MA program tells you that there is a strong linkage between their program and AZCOM. However, this is just a way for them to attract students like us. The reality is that there is no "guaranteed" acceptance. The agreement they tell you about is that if you have a 495 MCAT and get a certain GPA, you will get an interview. If you have a 3.4 GPA after the fall quarter, you are offered a winter quarter interview. If you have a 3.1 after the winter quarter, you are offered a spring interview. Sometimes people below this GPA can get interviews too if you have good relationships with your advisors. The general rule of thumb is that if you have at least a 3.0, you'll be given an interview at some point. The problem is that there is absolutely no guarantee you are accepted, even though they tell you this. I am not sure if I would have chosen this program if I had known that since the beginning. I interviewed in early spring for AZCOM, and was placed on the waitlist. When I asked about this, they basically told me that they don't truly guarantee acceptance. They just assume that enough accepted students will choose other medical schools -- so that the MA students can then be pulled off the waitlist. So, as you can imagine, if people hold onto their acceptances, MA students who meet the requirements will not be offered a spot in the AZCOM class. The same goes for the dental, optometry, and PA programs as well. Many of my classmates are on the waitlist for AZCOM now and we have no idea if/when we will be pulled off. They told us they could pull us off the list until the first day of class.

I also want to say that we have had ~50% of our students drop over the course of the program. These are pre-med students who are qualified and very intelligent, so that tells you that this program is definitely difficult. I have had friends in the program that have done poorly on 1-2 exams and been told by advisors to leave. This is ridiculous to me -- people mess up sometimes and life happens. One grade is not indicative of a student's overall intelligence or ability to succeed. Student culture sucks too - people are rude and competitive and shady tbh. It is disappointing and quite isolating in a time when you are already stressed about school and future plans.

For the most part, professors are available to you if you need help and will put in efforts to help you succeed. However, their treatment of you depends on how much they believe in you as a student and your ability to succeed. We have about two exams a week. Most of the time, it is over 8-12 lectures and is mostly multiple choice. There are a few courses/professors who like to ask free response questions. We do not have textbooks, and all our material is from lecture slides. If you can watch/attend lectures and study those slides really well, you will set yourself up for success. Last minute studying doesn't work in this setting, and I learned that the hard way in the beginning. A typical day in the life of an MA student (or even AZCOM students) is overwhelmingly focused on school. Most students in this program study every day for most of the day, even on the weekends.

If you are considering this program, I would urge you to really think about your quality of life and how much importance you place on attending MWU specifically. The MA program is hard, and if you go on to AZCOM its pretty much the same story. The course load is very similar and so is the exam schedule. It is a great taste of how AZCOM will be. But, if you do go onto AZCOM you'll be familiar with the first year of didactic material already, which puts you at an advantage. I would also recommend that you try to do research or shadowing while you go to school here, most likely during our breaks. For those of you who need to take the MCAT again, I do not know of anyone who took it during the program. I know a few classmates who are scheduled to take the MCAT in June after graduation, and they will send their scores to AZCOM in the summer when they get them back.
you can DM me if you have questions too!

Hey, I got accepted into the MABS program, and I was wondering if anyone could post their experience after completing the program (the good and the bad).
Also, I have a 501 MCAT and want to interview with CCOM so would it be feasible to take the MCAT during the program? Thanks!
I am just finishing the MA program. I didn’t do so well as expected due to some personal issues but my biggest advice for you is that make sure you hit 3.5 in the first quarter. That’s the only way you can have a guaranteed admission . Again, hit the 3.4 . I can’t say it enough. There are two course in the first quarter that you must make an A. Physiology and Anatomy. The program is intensive but I have enjoyed the tremendous support of the faculty. Also, I hope you find good friends you can vent with because you will need it but most people treat it as a competition. Good luck. Study hard. Use Ninja nerds for clearification on topics, study all the objectives of each lecture, that’s where the questions comes from. For guest lectures, make sure to attend and relisten to the lecture recordings , that’s where you find some tricky questions. Be friends with the professors, dont hide away cuz they will help you get to your destination. Make sure that for each quarter, the two classes with the highest credit, you must get an A not A- and you are set. Another advice, always dress professionally even if others are not , it will come in handy. The school has a Gymn ( make use of it for mental strength) they also have counsellors if you just want to vent. The library is a good place to hide away and study and there is a 24 hour study room. I wish I knew all this before I started. Before choosing electives talk to previous student that did the program. Finally treat your classmates kindly , you are going to need each other . Expect to lose half of the class by the third semester. Don’t waste your time teaching anyone , use that time to study. There are lots of tutoring and educational supports in the school. Good luck. Pm for more information

Hi! Also current MA finishing finals at the DG campus. Most of what my classmates have already said is true. This program is super hard and difficult, but I will say it got me to where I want to be so for that I am extremely grateful. As for the 501, you would definitely need to retake if CCOM is your top choice. This year the MCAT requirement was a 506 to get an interview. Some people did get interviews below this, but nothing really below a 504. Definitely not possible to take MCAT during the program. The amount of studying the program requires leaves little time for MCAT prep. I suggest if you can, take it before you enter. Even if you take it in September when the program is just starting. Super important to have it before it you plan on matriculating the year after.