Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those applying to Downers Grove, if you have any questions about the program I'd be happy to answer them.

ares84,

did you complete the whole two years or did you just do one year and then matriculated to a DO program? and how common/easy is it for a student to do this.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ares,

How long exactly is this program at Downers Grove? Are you pre-med or pre-dent (or something else)? Do you live on campus? I dont know if I have any other questions as of now but any other information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The majority of us finished in May, so ~21 months. Those that had something go wrong with their research or just didn't defend in time stayed past graduation, although I think everyone is done now. I'm a pre-med, most of us were, but there were 2 pre-dent. In the 2013 class I know there is at least 1 pre-dent. If you are pre-med I think the program is very helpful. If you've had physiology or biochemistry in undergrad then a lot will be review. But what I really liked was that since your taking classes with the PAs and Pharm students, there are clinical scenarios integrated into everything (something I never had in undergrad). I did not live on campus, but quite a few did. Major pros for living on campus: its convenient, you don't have to deal with horrible traffic, and you get to know people from other programs, not just the 25 or so in the BMS program. Major cons: when you go home your still on campus, I've actually heard of someone that lived on campus but also had a studio apartment off campus so he/she could leave. The campus is beautiful but there are times you just want to get away from it. Let me know if you have any more Qs.

ares84,

did you complete the whole two years or did you just do one year and then matriculated to a DO program? and how common/easy is it for a student to do this.

thanks

I did the full program, but a few did get accepted into into CCOM or somewhere else a left early. Its really not that big of a deal. Our program director told us that part of his job is to help us get in wherever we are trying to go. So if that means getting in early then thats fine. Those who left, left over our first winter break before we started our research so they didn't screw over any labs. One person who did get in to CCOM after she already started her research was just going to continue it after her breaks. Its not really any more or less easy then if you were just applying without being in the program, although if you get to know some of the higher-ups at CCOM you MAY get a little more pull.

Members don't see this ad :)
The total tuition for just the MA program is rediculus.
I hope it'll be worth it after all!!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

For the guaranteed interview for Midwestern's medical school, is it for this current cycle or is it for the next cycle. I'm hoping it's for this cycle cause I want to enter their medical school next year. Thanks!

:D i got in!!!

still waiting to hear from a couple of other schools in the meanwhile but glendale is a high possibility

Congrats! Hope to see you in AZ :)

Buckeye, I'm almost certain the interview is for this cycle. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to interview for the next cycle either. They'd probably forget everything.

Yeah, I highly recommend doing that health insurance waiver since some health insurance is mandatory.

Hello all,

I'm a pre-dent reapplicant from San Diego and will be joining the MA in BMS program at Glendale campus this coming fall 08. I'm also looking for a roommate, so please email me at [email protected] if you are interested.

thanks and look forward to meeting you all.

PS. I'm 25, male, very clean. and no preference on male/female roommates

I know it is EXTREMELY late in the game, but I was waitlisted for the MBS program at the Chicago (Downers Grove) campus about 2-3 months ago. I am now curious if it would be possible for them to copy my file over to the admissions committee in arizona for the MA and MBS program at the Glendale campus. Does anyone know if they are still accepting people? It seems as if people are getting in very late in the game....

Miami, yeah it is possible...but then again the only cases I have heard are people who didn't get into the medical schools transferring their apps to BMS. I would call them anyway ASAP and see.

Also, in a few earlier posts you can see that there are 40 people who placed deposits with the cap at 50. There's still a chance, but you should hurry.

So instead of selling my books to online stores, i figured I would post here first... I just finished my first year and I am selling all the required books for the Masters Program Classes. If any of you want them, I'll sell them at 50% of the price. I'm not a highlighter or underliner, so the books are not written in at all. Just email me at [email protected] if your interested, or if u have questions abt the program

Would these books be the same for the new MA program? I know some classes don't match and others are electives.

Also, I thought all of the notes were preprinted along with the syllabus for each class. Could you clear this up?

Hey guys,

This is my first time posting, however I've been following the Midwestern threads for a while. I got accepted to the MA program in Glendale and finally decided on going for sure!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in sharing a 2+2 at San Lagos or San Prado? I'm 22 yrs old, male, considerate, and moderately clean. Send me an email! [email protected]

Thanks!

Would these books be the same for the new MA program? I know some classes don't match and others are electives.

Also, I thought all of the notes were preprinted along with the syllabus for each class. Could you clear this up?

I checked with the bookstore, for all the classes that are the same (Bio, Physi, Biophysics, Immuno, Anatomy, Histo, Anatomy Lab) they are the same edition.

We get powerpoints as well. However, my friends and I prefer reading as well since some of the concepts are better explained (especially Physio / Immuno) and for anatomy, a text is a must...

Some classes are pppt slides, others are simply notes. Some are much much better than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there some way that we can know the names of the books ahead of time to start searching for some good deals?

whats goin on everyone. I got admission into this program But currently i'm having a difficult time deciding between it, and Rush university's biotechnology program.

aaaaaaagh what to do!

Biotech is cool--I teach biotech--but it has nothing to do with dental school - you'll never use the stuff again unless you go into research of some sort...biomed sciences will at least help you preform better in dental school...what do you think?

yeah i know. But even still. Rush University has some pros. For example, its name, its huge. Secondly, if I'm applying to UIC the fact that my letters of rec are coming from Rush will be a great thing. Lastly, Rush gives me an MS while Arizona gives me an MA. I was speaking with someone with some info on these things and said the MS might look better on paper than the MA to some schools.

I gotta decide within the next couple days. Rush wants an answer asap.

I honestly don't think it matters if its a MS or a MA. If you look at your undergrad degree, employers/schools don't really care if you're a BA or BS in Biology. They just care if you've majored in biology.

IMO, the difference between a MA and MS is not great enough to determine whether you get into dental school or not - just go with the program that you think will better help you get to where you want to be.

yeah i know. But even still. Rush University has some pros. For example, its name, its huge. Secondly, if I'm applying to UIC the fact that my letters of rec are coming from Rush will be a great thing. Lastly, Rush gives me an MS while Arizona gives me an MA. I was speaking with someone with some info on these things and said the MS might look better on paper than the MA to some schools.

I gotta decide within the next couple days. Rush wants an answer asap.

good luck with your decision, i know it will not be an easy one.

although i have to say that i am holding a waitlist from the program that i personally hope you choose rush but that is strictly me being selfish so that maybe i can get the call ;)

Has anyone applied for school loans yet? I'm looking to apply for a loan beyond just the Stafford loans. Does anyone know where the best place to start looking is? Salliemae?

I think i've decided on midwestern.
I hope that God makes this path easy for me.

Yeah and i DEFINITELY need to hit up loans too

i'm doing a gradplus through salliemae. i did it straight from midwestern's website thing where all the forms and stuff are. well..i started the process there at least. if you get your loan through sallie mae you can sign up with upromise and any money you earn will pay off the loan (you get a certain % of online purchases through partner companies-there are a LOT of them-and through grocery store stuff and i actually got the upromise citi mastercard and you get 1% on all purchases, which isn't any better than any other rewards program but it automatically pays off the loan...and you can have your parents and other people sign up under your loan too). I've already earned a few bucks and I figure, it's stuff I'd already be spending money on...might as well help pay off some of the ridiculous interest I'll be earning. every little cent helps!!

Last edited:
what the heck. They told me i was accepted over the fone, but i STILL haven't receive anything in the mail from them.

Guys whats the class schedule like? Does anyone have the breakdown of classes yet?????

anyone found any other cheaper insurance than schoool provided?
we're supposed to pay $600.00 per one quarter for the insurance.

havent even thought about the insurance yet.

I got myself a place though! San Lagos. 1 bedroom, came out to 865 a month. And its right across the street from campus!

havent even thought about the insurance yet.

I got myself a place though! San Lagos. 1 bedroom, came out to 865 a month. And its right across the street from campus!

I got a place there too. 2 bed one with Flushot.
I am gonna be there on 16th of Aug.
How about you, neighbor?

hi is anyone still looking for a roomie??? I am looking to live at San lagos since it is close to campus and I won't have my car for awhile. I am clean, super nice, non smoke 25 female. Hit me up on PM!!!!

--

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a male roomate? Please PM or Email me ASAP! I'm 22, male, and Pre-med! I don't really care if you're pre-dent or pre-pharm haha. we're all going through the same stuff together :cool:

Thanks!

[email protected]

have you guys checked out San Prado? It's actually a bit nicer - both inside and the surrounding street. The street that San lagos was on actually had about 30+ people hanging around outside waiting to be picked up for work...I'm curious though is San lagos actually closer to the school if you're walking? I drove around and couldn't really tell...

you can check how san lagos is close to the campus with google map.
it is located on right across the 59th avenue.
My building is even closer to the campus than on-campus housings.
San Prado is a little bit farther to the south.

I got a place there too. 2 bed one with Flushot.
I am gonna be there on 16th of Aug.
How about you, neighbor?

I'm going to be there on the 23rd god willingly.

Unfortunately I cant move in until the 7th of september, so i'm going to be crashing at a friends place who also stays at san lagos for the time being.

I was just wondering for the people going to the MWU Glendale campus, how soon did you hear back from MWU about financial aid once completing FAFSA? Does MWU have separate forms to fill out too or just FAFSA? Also, were you offered any grants/scholarships or mostly just loans? I did not receive aid in college but since I am entering the graduate program and filing as independent, I was wondering what my chances are of receiving any type of aid? Any input you can offer would be appreciated, thanks!

I have no idea what is going on with Financial Aid. I filled out my paper work 6 weeks ago and still have not gotten my award letter. I called to today and they said that I should get it by the end of the week, but they didn't know why I haven't gotten it yet. Bah humbug.....

Oh I forgot, there are forms you need to fill out other than your fafsa they are located on the Financial Services section then click apply for aid. Hope this helps!

I;m hearing people who have 3.4-3.7 GPA's :eek: my GPA isn't very good, its in the 2.9-3.2 range :oops: I mean this is a postbacc right? PM me with your personal stats and such...

Hi all! I'm starting the MBS program at MWU this fall. I'm moving into a nice house with 2 bed rooms and I'm looking for a roommate this year!! Everything in the house is FURNISHED except the bedroom. The house is got a 2 cars-garage. Rent is $550/person PLUS split utilities. There's a community pool that has been paid for by the Association Fees from the landlord. FREE INTERNET THRU DECEMBER too!

The house is close to all shopping, freeway and Midwestern University is just about 2.5 miles away, so it's about a 4 or 5 min drive to classes!!

I am driving all the way from Ohio to Arizona and will move in around the 13th of August!
If anyone is interested, please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] for more details!

- C :)

hey is anyone a little disappointed in the financial aid award?? I am not sure how I am going to live and expenses especially at San Lagos :confused:

Last edited:
hey is anyone a little disappointed in the financial aid award?? I am not sure how I am going to live and expenses especially at San Lagos :confused:

Yeah i hear you! I was kinda disappointed in the FAFSA award... i didn't get a whole lot either :( i am looking into possibly applying for other loans.....
Good luck!

Yeah i hear you! I was kinda disappointed in the FAFSA award... i didn't get a whole lot either :( i am looking into possibly applying for other loans.....
Good luck!

i got about 30k in gradplus loans...which sucks...but i didn't want to worry about not having enough money so i took out the full amount available from the budget they gave us. so all together i'm taking out about 50k. yuck

cc...where in ohio are you from?? I'm also from ohio.

i got about 30k in gradplus loans...which sucks...but i didn't want to worry about not having enough money so i took out the full amount available from the budget they gave us. so all together i'm taking out about 50k. yuck

cc...where in ohio are you from?? I'm also from ohio.

Hi Bivvie!
it's so good to hear that you're from the O-H-I-O too :) I'm from Columbus!
Where in ohio are you from?? Go Bucks! :oops:

Hi Bivvie!
it's so good to hear that you're from the O-H-I-O too :) I'm from Columbus!
Where in ohio are you from?? Go Bucks! :oops:

akron area...my town is basically between akron and kent.

Hey guys, I just recently withdrew my application from the MA program so one of you hopefuls now have a seat! I am going to be attending LECOM's Post-bac program instead. Good luck to all of you with all of your endeavors!

Rahil

hi fellow classmates!
so did the rest of you just get loans on the award letter? there are no grants for grad school right? I was disappointed too with the lack of aid, considering we're 'independent' now
poop :(

As far as getting a response from the financial aid department, it took me 2 days to fill it all out, after all my paper work was in, which took another day, i got a response 2 days later. Total of 5 days.

Of course there are no grants this late in the game. I'm pretty sure i read about some grants that were available but the deadlines were like 3 months ago. Even still, no one really gets grants for grad school. Last time i checked atleast, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

So yeah, i too am taking close to 50k.............bloody sucks. I REALLY hope i get into dental school this year---or i'm stuck with a degree i really cant do anything with that cost me 50k!!!!

HEy! I'm also in Ohio, i'm staying down the street from Case Western. Doing some studying away from my hometown of Chicago.

I'm going back to chicago on the 13th. Hitting up AZ on the 22nd.

Man i cant believe San Lagos isnt furnished! this blows!!!!!

Hey all,

I will be starting the 2 yr MBS in Glendale this month as well. I am excited to get started and happy to meet you guys!

Last edited:
I'm really curious about you guys who said you're taking out 50k. Did you run the calculations of what it will cost? Subsidized and unsubsidized loans will cover tuition, books, and fees (around 20k). Cost of living will be covered by Grad Plus or private loans. Obviously, everyone's budget will be different, but after calculating my living expenses (rent/utilities, insurance, transportation, etc) for the 9.5 months - it's nowhere near 30k.

So how did you guys arrive at 50k?

i used the budget created by the school...AKA the max you can take out for loans (with the exception of some private loans that let you take out whatever you want) i figure that my budget would actually be lower than the budget they made...but i wanted to play it safe. i figure whatever money i have leftover this year...i wont have to borrow for next year (if i get into med school)...it's money i'd still be borrowing in the future so its not like ill be taking out loan money for nothing. plus id like to have some extra money for emergencies...like if my car decides to die or i suddenly gain/lose 50 pounds and have to buy a new wardrobe haha. i also don't really have any idea how expensive i am...yea i can figure out rent/utilities for the most part...but i'm not really sure how much i eat on a monthly basis or how much gas money ill need etc...i always had a meal plan of some sort in college and i've lived at home for the past year so didn't pay for most of my food. me and roomie (who im pretty sure also took out the max) are renting our apt for 11 months too (we move in next friday 8/8 and then we knew we wouldnt want to move out within days after graduating...plus we both hope to get into AZCOM so we'd be able to just extend our lease anyways)....so our budgets are really for 11 months

Well tuiton is about 28500
Then there are some random fees.
Rent is about 8600.
Thats not even the cost of living. I need furniture---desk, bed cardbox box for clothes haha. And food.

According to midwestern, here is the supposed breakdown of what things should look like
Financial Aid Budget
Budget ItemAmount
Tuition 28500
Student Services Fee 350
Health Insurance Fee 1800
Disability Insurance 45
Books and Supplies 2355
Off Camp. Rent/Utilities8730
Food 3150
Transportation 3480
Personal Expenses 3005
Loan Fees 562