Midwestern University Post-bac question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know how effective using the MBS program is to gain entrance to an MD program--I was accepted to the MBS at MWU even though I never actually sent in all materials--maybe it was an oversight, but I'm not a traditionally desirable candidate for med school, though I was snapped up for this program. Either the administration made a mistake or the acceptance process is a little fishy, the whole situation makes me wonder how "appealing" completing a program so eager to have me would make me a better candidate for med schools.
Just a thought...

Members don't see this ad.

!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the preprofessional exam review courses are applicable or helpful for the DAT? I am pretty sure they are for the MCAT. Anybody coming in or with previous experience know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if we get a schedule of the courses before orientation?

I was looking to get one myself. Unfortunately I do not think they have one available.

To answer Drm85,
there area quite a few books.
Kaplan
Barrons
Cliffs
KSF Review
Topscore Pro
Destroyer

Those are the ones that i used for my studying. As far as a course, only Kaplan has one that i'm aware of.

Last edited:
they have it on your online.midwerstern.edu account. classes are in schedule under academic services and orientation info is in your webmail account. they dont show the times of the classes though. hope that helps.

i checked the Midwestern Application portal and my webmail, i didn't get any information about orientation nor classes :( anyone know what's going on? and when are we getting our statement for the fall quarter tuition??

not sure when why you dont have yours yet. I found all that info on the online.midwestern.edu site. I am, however, going to be attending the downer's grove campus. not the glendale campus. maybe this is why. hope you guys figure it out...

Not getting anything from online.midwestern.edu about the schedule or tuition for Glendale. Thanks for the response on DAT q's

I don't know how effective using the MBS program is to gain entrance to an MD program--I was accepted to the MBS at MWU even though I never actually sent in all materials--maybe it was an oversight, but I'm not a traditionally desirable candidate for med school, though I was snapped up for this program. Either the administration made a mistake or the acceptance process is a little fishy, the whole situation makes me wonder how "appealing" completing a program so eager to have me would make me a better candidate for med schools.
Just a thought...

This was something that a lot of us that just completed our first year asked the previous class. Most kids that come to the program want to go DO, especially at AZCOM anyway. Personally, my freinds and I are applying MD and DO, so we may be the first.

I received the class schedule today via email. Most classes start at 9a or later and end by 2p. Biophysics is earlier and MCAT/DAT prep is later.

I received the class schedule today via email. Most classes start at 9a or later and end by 2p. Biophysics is earlier and MCAT/DAT prep is later.

Was this email through the campus webmail?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
sweet. I got it too. Question though. SO, we take all of these classes or do we not have to? I'm just a little confused about the electives. For example, i dont think i need to take the Pre-Professional exam preparation class. Any one have any ideas on this???

sweet. I got it too. Question though. SO, we take all of these classes or do we not have to? I'm just a little confused about the electives. For example, i dont think i need to take the Pre-Professional exam preparation class. Any one have any ideas on this???

Required courses are are as follows (fall quarter only):

For the 2 yr MBS:

Histology 2 credits
Research Topics and Methods 3 credits
Biochemistry 5 credits
Ethics of Research and Experimentation 3 Credits
Human Physiology I 4 Credits
0-6 credits of electives
For the 1 yr MA:

Histology 2 credits
Intro to capstone 1 credit
Biochemistry 5 credits
Human Physiology I 4 credits
minimum 3 elective credits required

source: mwunet.midwestern.edu - catalog 08-09

Last edited:
Hey, I just got it. Why do I find this so exciting? :p

Looks like they want us all to call by this Friday to confirm that we are attending. And they gave us the block schedule too, it doesn't look too bad time-wise.

haha I'm super excited toO! you're not alone. :D

we should all go out somewhere after orientation...anyone from the area know where the local hot spots are?

haha I'm super excited toO! you're not alone. :D

we should all go out somewhere after orientation...anyone from the area know where the local hot spots are?

Right around campus I am not too familiar. Up in Glendale is not that much of a 'hot spot' I would say. Scottsdale is awesome but pretty far. However, Westgate (where the Super Bowl was) has a Yard house, Jimmy Buffet margaritaville and a decent piano bar.

Last edited:
can someone post the class schedule here?
cause i haven't got any e-mail from MWU.

fall quarter
Course #
Course Title
Course Director

Type

Credit
BMED 312
Histology
Walters
Core
BMED 500
Introduction to Capstone Course
Bell
Core
BMED 550
Biochemistry
Hull
Core
PHYS 471
Human Physiology
Al-Nakkash
Core
BMED 307
Medical Terminology
Faculty
Elective
BMED 360
Biophysics
Cooper
Elective
BMED 404
Pre-Professional Exam Prep.
Cooper
Elective
BMED 429
Epidemiology
Cooper
Elective
BMED 440
Oncology
Jones
Elective
BMED 571
Medicinal Chemistry-I
Chavez
Elective
MHPE 505
Learning Styles & Assessment
Morgan
Elective

Thank you, but i thought i could see the detailed schedule.
I am in MA program.

fall quarter
Course #
Course Title
Course Director

Type

Credit
BMED 312
Histology
Walters
Core
BMED 500
Introduction to Capstone Course
Bell
Core
BMED 550
Biochemistry
Hull
Core
PHYS 471
Human Physiology
Al-Nakkash
Core
BMED 307
Medical Terminology
Faculty
Elective
BMED 360
Biophysics
Cooper
Elective
BMED 404
Pre-Professional Exam Prep.
Cooper
Elective
BMED 429
Epidemiology
Cooper
Elective
BMED 440
Oncology
Jones
Elective
BMED 571
Medicinal Chemistry-I
Chavez
Elective
MHPE 505
Learning Styles & Assessment
Morgan
Elective

this is the list for the MA. As it was mentioned earlier we are required to take all the cores, and just a couple of the electives

Yeah, I didn't get an email for the schedule either. I did get that email about the billing cycle and the reminder to sign up for the Direct Deposit thing.

And heads up to those who might not have gotten it: the deadline for the direct deposit for the financial aid refund checks is this wed 8/13/08, so log on and go to the financial services tab and do it if you want to.

On the schedule note, was this a word or excel doc? Could I ask anyone to email it to me? I'll PM you first.

On yet another note, who is staying in San Lagos? We should have a little meet and greet before class. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I will be in san lagos, my apt wont be ready till the 7th so ill be bumming around glendale and phoenix for a week or so. Newho I would love to meet my neighbors in San Lagos!!!! So hit me up with the details! :DI can definitely forward my email to you flushot with the schedule just send me a PM with your email.
Yeah, I didn't get an email for the schedule either. I did get that email about the billing cycle and the reminder to sign up for the Direct Deposit thing.

And heads up to those who might not have gotten it: the deadline for the direct deposit for the financial aid refund checks is this wed 8/13/08, so log on and go to the financial services tab and do it if you want to.

On the schedule note, was this a word or excel doc? Could I ask anyone to email it to me? I'll PM you first.

On yet another note, who is staying in San Lagos? We should have a little meet and greet before class. What do you guys think?

I'm totally down with meeting up with all the San Lagos people. Then again, i wouldnt mind meeting up all the peeps from the MA anyways. Unfortunately I wont have my place until the 7th as well. Unless someone is willing to host something......

Sounds good; I'm not expecting anything like huge unless everyone wants to grab dinner or something. I figure it'd be nice to just meet everyone, let them know where they're staying, etc. We're going to be spending a lot of time together anyhow :laugh:

I'm rooming with dentistin2011 and he'll be there on the 15th. I plan on getting there on the 20th, so maybe that weekend of the 22nd would people like to congregate at a room? If it's ok with dentist, I'll see if our place is fine (apt. # 1145), but it won't have any furniture in it :D

Last edited:
good looking out rose! I didnt know they updated the blocks page:D

Holy crap! I just got accepted to the MA program..... does ANYONE know where I can live?! Anyone have any extra rooms? This is just threw a total curveball into my plans as I was already registered at another SMP. But I'm totally coming to MWU!

Wow, Miami, congrats :)

I'd check San Prado; I think they're still open. Maybe someone here still needs a mate.

Thanks for the link Rose! I should've checked that sooner. I completely forgot about that page.

My question is really about the electives and the exam prep. I'm assuming that the block schedule is just there to show every class time, not what everyone has to do, right? Otherwise, that's a pretty monster schedule.

Last edited:
Yes, the quarter system is difficult but doable. I have been on the darn quarter system since college. I can't get away from it, seriously. Newho, you just have to start the quarter running, you don't get the cushion usually given with semesters. Usually, you will have an exam about every two to 3 weeks. The exam schedule is up for the MBS program on the block sheet for physio and this seems to be the case. Basically from the first day of class on, I basically had to study everyday to do well with the quarter system. It goes fast but if you hate a class its only ten weeks and poof its gone! I love that.

Congrats Miami, I know you have wanted this badly, I am so happy for you!! Also, check out the facebook group there are quite a few people still looking for roomies and have rooms for rent near campus. If the link doesn't work, type in Midwestern University and click on the MBS link. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12311332085 Hope this helps!

Rose have you found a place near campus yet?

Can't wait to meet everyone in a few weeks!!

Hey guys,

I think I found a place to live. It is a house about 2 miles from campus and I'd be living with a few professional students (Podiatry). Place looks super nice so I'm excited to start. When are you all getting down there? Are most bringing cars or just going to plan on biking or walking?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think I may have to bring a car too....sucks. My drive from Chicago is 1800 miles.

Where is everyone from? Where did you go to undergrad?

I won't be bringing a car unfortunately. If I somehow end up at AZCOM that might change but for 9 months, I can't afford it. It'll probably be hard getting around for the necessities like groceries (I might do a little begging here and there with reimbursement for gas money; any takers? :)) but I'll try to keep it to a minimum. Seriously though, anyone interested? I'll be generous for your kindness :)

Rose, there was an earlier post that goes over a lot of administrative things like tuition, but mostly it'll be an effort to sell their school medical insurance. I think this is for the first day only so not sure what will happen on the other days.

Oh and thanks for the clarification about the credits we have to pick. I'm also doing this quarter thing for the first time too :eek:

I am coming down on the 26th. I gotta tie up some loose ends in Norcal. Flu don't even worry about rides I got you, I will be in San Lagos too so I can definitely help you out.

Last edited:
hi all!! where's everyone living?? I just moved in 2 days ago!! lovin the heat so far haha... :p

Rose, where are you living? I think I'm going to be around Union Hills Drive and 79th.

hey everyone,i just moved down here last Friday. I live in archstone arrowhead, right across from archstone towne center (the mall). it is definitely :boom:WARM down here...and way more humid than i was expecting due to monsoon season.

I'm living a mile north of campus and I just plan on walking everywhere...I might look into getting a bike but I'm going to get there and see how everything goes first. I google mapped it and there are couple groceries stores right on my way to/from campus so I think it will work out! I'll be flying out there on the 24th- can't wait!

Miami, I did my undergrad at the University of Chicago! :)

Thanks for the offers, Rose and Phoenix. Sounds like it'll be a good year :) I just wish someone brought Rock Band so we can play together :laugh:

On another tying loose ends note, did anyone get a call from Deb, phone number (623) 572-3620, asking for final confirmation on whether we were attending MWU? I just called her back today, so just curious.

She also told me orientation materials are being sent out next week, but she says we can head down to campus if we want confirmation. Anyhow, she says orientation is at 8am on Wed, Aug 27th with check in at the cafeteria. I'm hoping to find out more than that once I get down there.

As for the little get together for San Lagos people, I say we meet on Saturday, August 23rd at the Pool/Beach area, somewhere around noon. This is just to put a time down; we can always switch it around, since it's just a little meet and greet. We're going to see everyone again in a few days anyway, but it might be something to do.

Rock band sounds awesome!! If no one has it we should have air guitar contests!! hehe :D

I did get a call from Deb earlier this week and she told me the same things she told you.