peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys,

I was cleaning out my desktop to upgrade it to 7. So found this. During my time of taking dat's one day i spent couple hours looking for what kind of stuff was on the real dat's here on SDN. read through many break downs. and compiled some stuff hopefully it might or might not help you guys.

So this will save some time :) ALL OF THIS is from SDN

I will also post my QR formula sheets...
==============================================

C: I'm glad I didn't get pianoed because just before I left for the test, I read on SDN that people were getting pianoed today. I got DNA microarrays, brain and language, and Calcium. The passages were pretty dense but not much harder than achiever/topscore. The good thing is that most of the questions go in the order of the paragraphs, so you dont have to read everything to know where the answers are in the passage.
------------
Intracellular thing was about how hormones attaches to membrane and then whole cascade of G protein, ATP to cAMP, protein kinase thing and I knew about it from studies done BEFORE long time. Didn't study this for DAT thought.

This below is only regarding to piano:
Piano passage I say if you have time do try to understand passage quickly and mapping on it won't help so just write down topic of each passage only. that might help. There were some Qs where there is two questions in 1 so that sucked...hated Piano

function of fertilization membrane in sea urchin (to prevent multiple sperms from entering egg), what is body's immediate response to hemorrhage (decrease in arterial pressure). Some other questions I remember are: what is the first thing to happen in a speciation event (i put down mutation).

The practice test questions kind of blur with the real ones now but I'll give it my best. One bio question asked which animal was the first to develope a backbone and internal skeleton, my answer choices were a fish, shark, reptile, amphibian, or echinoderm. Another question asked what is the body's immediate response to an arterial hemorrage, i don't remember all of the answer choices but I elminated it down to an increase or decrease in arterial pressure, my mother, an RN, told me the correct answer was decrease in arterial pressure. Another asked in what form is most CO2 transported in the blood, I don't remember all of the answer choices but one was dissolved in the blood, another was attached to hemoglobin, and a third was as bicarbonate ions.

My one photosynthesis question asked which membrane contained all of the energy-producing regions in a plant, or something along those lines, the answer choices were the chloroplast outer membrane, chloroplast inner membrane, thylakoid membrane, and two other definitely incorrect choices (like the nuclear membrane and the golgi compex or something).
I was asked what is the the first step in glycolysis.
One question asked what do the Islets of Langerhans, follicular cells of the ovaries and some other structures do, the answer choices were pretty easy, which was fortunate because I didn't sure what the other structures did but knew that the Islets of Langerhans and follicular cells had to do with hormone secretion

. I did have the question about the function of the fertilization membrane in sea urchins, I picked the answer that said it protects it from double fertilization-although that might not be correct.
One question asked the development of what two organelles was essential to survival of eukaryotic cells, the answer choices all contained ribosomes and another organelle except for one choice that was chloroplasts and mitochondria.

I knew that prokaryotes have ribosomes so that couldn't have been right so went with chloroplasts and mitochondria.
There was an easy question on mitosis, I think it just asked what stage do the chromosomes line up in the center. There was a question about difference betwwen mitosis and meiosis, oh, it was what is the importance of meiosis, the answer I chose was that it results in genetically different offspring.

There was a question about blood types (A mom has AB blood type, dad has type O, what are the different types their offspring can be) and one using hardy-weinberg principle, they actually game me p and q outright, saying p=.7, q=.3, what is the percent of heterozygotes. There was another genetics question about pea plants, green and yellow, it said that a green plant (dominant) had been crossed with a yellow plant (indominant) some offspring were green and some yellow, what is the genotype of the green plant (clearly heterozygote, Gg).
Another question asked about the primary function of the large intestine.

As for chemistry, there was a question that gave the ksp and asked for the concentration of a product. There was a question that gave both the values of entropy and enthalpy of the products and reactants and asked for the enthalpy of the reaction. There was a question about gauranteeing a reaction is spontaneous, answer being -enthalpy and positive entropy. There was a question about if you have CO and some other type of gas in two seperate containers which of the following is true, and then the answers mentined their relative densitys, volumes, pressures, kinetic energy. I wasn't really sure about that one. There were a couple of questions asking about oxidation numbers, one was simply what is the oxidation number of an atom, the compound contained hydrogen and oxygen besides that atom. Another one was choose the reaction in which an atom is oxidized. Yet another asked what are the oxidizing and reducing agents in the above reaction. There were a couple acid base questions, one was what is the acid in the above reaction, one was what is the pH of a concentration of X molar HCL, (-log [H+] was the answer). There were a couple of stoichiometric questions, ie given so many grams of X how many grams of Y will be produced, one was a limiting reagent question, I think one might have been a titration question. There were two questions regarding VESPR. There was one question about vapor pressure- which of the following will not effect the vapor pressure type question. There was a question about periodic table trends, I don't remember if it was on electronegativity or size. actually, there were a couple of questions asking about size I think. There was a precent comoposition question too. There were a number of questions about intermolecular forces, ie which of the following compounds has the lowest boiling point, which is most likely to dissolve in water, which will act as an acid, etc.
Hmm, those are all I can think of at the moment, but if you any more questions I will cheerfully answer them! Hope that this helps some, good luck!

OP
peanutb123

peanutb123

10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
FOR QR.

This is what I have only used.

Well my math background is unrelated to dat math. they are so different.
Some people say they skip all the word problems first. I dont think its a good idea b/c word problems make up most of the test. and most of them are really easy. So quickly read it and see if you can do it or not... if you cant just make a guess and mark it and move on and don't spend too much time on one problem. I realized on the test for 2 problems i spent more than 5 mins. But i was unable to finish the LAST question so i just picked C. Make sure you guess & MARK b/c sometime you forget about the time and if you leave questions blank you will have no chance of getting them right rather than just guessing them.

I did not use any of the materials you have used. I only studied math for couple days, total of may be 5 hrs. I have a strong math background.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/9655036/Formula-In-Geometry

know the whole first page... and understand

it.
for the second page i would concentrate on

the square,rectangle, sphere, right circular

cone, regular tetrahedron, VERY IMP: RIGHT

CIRCULAR cylinder know this one...

Trig.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/9655198/...ry-Cheat-Sheet

Know the definition of six trig. functions
reciprocal identities
tangent and cotangent identities
Pythagorean identities
reduction formulas
cos function identities
& take a look at the circle on the bottom of

page 2 and know all those values of sin and

cos. it helps you where and how everything

is set up.

probability, just understand the basic.
Study the graphs like distance b/w 2 points.
how to find slope etc... everything is

kaplan book... except for the links that i

provided above.

there are only what i studied.

wizi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Thanks peanut,

This really helps me on how I should study for Bio section.