Mike's Videos Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeJR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I've been using Mike's videos in conjunction with Chad's to study for both the OC and GC section of the DAT. Maybe someone would like to add their experience with using Mike's, but using both seems like a sure-fire way to do well on the two sections. I took the DAT on a whim last year and from what I've seen so far both cover everything needed to dominate organic and general chemistry. The only reason I'm bringing this up is because Mike's videos have received a bad reputation for not being comprehensive, at least from what I've read, but he seems to have uploaded many more quiz videos to datbootcamp (I could be wrong). Mike's videos are great because they are tailored for the DAT and Chad's is great because there are points he makes that Mike falls short on.

What I'm trying to get at is if you have the time, or you play them at 1.5x like me, doing both has been very helpful to my studying process, so it might be worth taking a look at. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I used Chad's videos for GC and Mike's for OC. Personally, doing that worked for me and I got a 23 in both sections. If it's relevant, I also took my GC and OC classes over two years before I took my DAT, so I was definitely rusty.

While doing both would guarantee you're covering everything thoroughly, I think it would be overkill. Ultimately, both are great resources (I still prefer Chad's overall) and I'm glad they worked out for you!

Reactions: 1 user
Chad for GC mike for OC. They’re the goats

Members don't see this ad :)
I only used Mike's videos for chem when I took the DAT last summer, and found his videos and worksheets to be extremely helpful. He was also quick to respond when I had questions, and sent me additional resources if I didn't fully get a concept. I ended up with a 22 GC and 23 OC, so I'd say Mike's videos are incredibly helpful (as a person who didn't do well in undergrad chemistry).

Reactions: 1 users
I am agreeing with the person before me. I only used Mike's videos. I was too cheap to get Chad's videos. I really liked Mike, because of his personality, made everything fun and stick in your brain. He was amazing is GC and OC. I say just stick to Mike's videos. I got a 26 in GC and 22 in OC. Make sure to print out all the worksheets he posts, and to go over them from the start every week or so, in order to memorize everything.

Mike for GC isnt very comprehensive.

Mike is comprehensive he covers what Chad covers and then some in GC and OC. I watched both their videos and without a doubt can say Mike covers more.

Mike is comprehensive he covers what Chad covers and then some in GC and OC. I watched both their videos and without a doubt can say Mike covers more.
I'm looking at Chad's because I have time, but if I didn't I would probably not be watching his videos. I agree with what you're saying, while Chad's videos are great for learning both gen chem and orgo, Mike's videos are good for doing well on the DAT. He may not talk about some of the specifics, but it's probably because you don't need to know them. Also, the way he sets up his quizzes are VERY similar to how questions are presented on the actual test.

I only used Mike's videos and I scored 24 on GC & 25 on OC. I highly recommend doing all 20 practice exams (something I wish I had done). Also, I found it helpful to review the cheatsheets before the actual exam.

I prefer Chads. Mikes a good teacher but his voice gets annoying to me so I skip his videos.

• Haha
where do you access the videos from? both mike and chad

where do you access the videos from? both mike and chad
Mike's videos are included with your Bootcamp subscription (price increased to $347 I believe), while Chad's videos can be found for free on chemistryprep.com (for a General Chemistry I & II college course) or for $50 on coursesaver.com (DAT-specific material).

For the OP: I only used Mike's because Chad's voice was annoying to me lol, in contrast to Likkriue. I scored a 26 GC and 22 OC (I didn't focus much on OC until the 2 weeks before my test).

Members don't see this ad :)
Question to kind of piggy back off of this post: what's the difference between the free version of Chad's and the paid version?

*shutters

Thinking of the DAT still gives me the shakes. Honestly, nothing in dental school has been harder. Take that as you will.

Question to kind of piggy back off of this post: what's the difference between the free version of Chad's and the paid version?
Chad's videos can be found for free on chemistryprep.com (for a General Chemistry I & II college course) or for $50 on coursesaver.com (DAT-specific material).
Free version is for a year-long Gen Chem course (lots of things that are not on the DAT, hence lots of videos, hard to sift through the ones you need vs the ones you don't), while the paid version is DAT-specific material.

Yeah studying for the DAT is not exactly my favorite way to spend a weekend. It will be nice to be done with this thing.

This may be an unpopular opinion and maybe my mind will change once I take the DAT, but after getting all the way through Chad's videos for both orgo and gen chem, I can say Chad's videos can be a little overkill. I'm normally one to believe in the old "it's better to be over-prepared", but there are some aspects of his videos that just aren't worth your time. I would suggest Mike's videos for most people. His videos are a lot more focused on what you need to succeed on the DAT. Maybe Chad's will get you one more obscure question right on the test, but it probably isn't worth the extra time needed to learn the more complex concepts. I took a couple quizzes for gen chem and I have recalled Mike's videos more often than Chad's when answering questions. This may just be my personal preference or learning style, so it's worth trying both and seeing which instructor you enjoy more. But if you are unsure which to choose, my recommendation would, of course, be Mike's videos. (which are free, you don't need to subscribe to datbootcamp to access OC and GC)

But if you are unsure which to choose, my recommendation would, of course, be Mike's videos. (which are free, you don't need to subscribe to datbootcamp to access OC and GC)
The first few chapters of Mike's are free, while the rest are not- they do require a Bootcamp subscription.

The first few chapters of Mike's are free, while the rest are not- they do require a Bootcamp subscription.
I apologize. You are definitely right. However on my browser it allows me to watch all of the videos except for chapter 3 of both subjects. This is on a separate account that I didn't buy the subscription on. Might just be a bug, because it blocks me out on chrome.

Free version is for a year-long Gen Chem course (lots of things that are not on the DAT, hence lots of videos, hard to sift through the ones you need vs the ones you don't), while the paid version is DAT-specific material.

thanks for your response! I looked into the video breakdown on Course Saver, and it shows that GC only goes through chapter 7, but on the free version, there are 21 chapters. Does that mean that only the first 7 chapters are relevant to the DAT?

thanks for your response! I looked into the video breakdown on Course Saver, and it shows that GC only goes through chapter 7, but on the free version, there are 21 chapters. Does that mean that only the first 7 chapters are relevant to the DAT?
I don't think you can think about in that way, as they are two separately recorded video chains. The 7 videos on Coursesaver are not the same first 7 videos on his website (or any 7 videos).
The Coursesaver videos were recorded to be DAT-specific while the free ones are following things that are taught in a course. To get the same info that the 7 videos provide out of the list of 21 videos, you'd have to sort through them. Trust me, it's a lot of work. I tried to do this, like save myself the $50 and look at the outlines of the coursesaver videos and try to find their corresponding content in the 21 videos, and it did not work well. This was before I bought Bootcamp, and I gave up when I found that BC had Mike's videos, which I liked much more than Chad's.

x
I don't think you can think about in that way, as they are two separately recorded video chains. The 7 videos on Coursesaver are not the same first 7 videos on his website (or any 7 videos).
The Coursesaver videos were recorded to be DAT-specific while the free ones are following things that are taught in a course. To get the same info that the 7 videos provide out of the list of 21 videos, you'd have to sort through them. Trust me, it's a lot of work. I tried to do this, like save myself the $50 and look at the outlines of the coursesaver videos and try to find their corresponding content in the 21 videos, and it did not work well. This was before I bought Bootcamp, and I gave up when I found that BC had Mike's videos, which I liked much more than Chad's.

ah okay, thanks so much for the advice! I thought about sorting through but also thought it might be too much work.

thanks again!

I only used Mike's videos and I scored 24 on GC & 25 on OC. I highly recommend doing all 20 practice exams (something I wish I had done). Also, I found it helpful to review the cheatsheets before the actual exam.
Which 20 practice exams are you talking about?